Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rationalization attempt: Build a small stadium (e.g. 12k seats) and large training center at Belmont. Use the small stadium for NYCFC 2, academy games, and first team Open Cup games and as a backup when Yankee Stadium is booked. NYCFC first team stays at Yankee Stadium until they can secure their own centrally-located venue.

That said, the state isn't going to want a "development" consisting of a bunch of soccer fields. They want an economic driver.

Rationalization attempt: Build a small stadium (e.g. 12k seats) and large training center at Belmont. Use the small stadium for NYCFC 2, academy games, and first team Open Cup games and as a backup when Yankee Stadium is booked. NYCFC first team stays at Yankee Stadium until they can secure their own centrally-located venue.

That said, the state isn't going to want a "development" consisting of a bunch of soccer fields. They want an economic driver.

I just saw a Real Sports with Bryant Gumble article on youth sports tourism. The market for travel sports teams in this country is huge.

Cities are building massive sports complexes to revitalize their city. "If you build it, they will come" is true.

Last edited:
Thought the same thing about the naming until thinking about how there is an Etihad stadium in Australia home to the AFL. Knowing CFG and how they like uniformity I can see them calling it "stadium"

Possibly, though remember that the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne is not Melbourne City's stadium but is actually the ground of their rivals, Melbourne Victory, so there's less of a reason to go for the consistency. In fact, the stadium sponsorship in Melbourne actually predates Etihad's involvement with CFG at all, so I'm not sure to what extent it is relevant to the equation.

Possibly, though remember that the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne is not Melbourne City's stadium but is actually the ground of their rivals, Melbourne Victory, so there's less of a reason to go for the consistency. In fact, the stadium sponsorship in Melbourne actually predates Etihad's involvement with CFG at all, so I'm not sure to what extent it is relevant to the equation.
I've always figured that when Etihad's deal with the Victory ends they don't renew and switch over.

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't think the Victory are the main draw for that place. I would assume the AFL is the crowd getter and what makes the place the money. Etihad arena doesn't sound right to me would hope we get stadium moniker.

That's quite contradictory to what the FO was alluding to earlier in the week.
Par for the course, no?
We're 10 years away from a home of our own. Took Red Bull/Metro 14 year to land Harrison. Won't be any quicker on this side of the Hudson.

Par for the course, no?
We're 10 years away from a home of our own. Took Red Bull/Metro 14 year to land Harrison. Won't be any quicker on this side of the Hudson.

I have faith that it'll be less than 10 years. But if I have to wait that long to get a spot in BX or Manhattan instead of Belmont then I'm good with it. All I ask is that we get a state of the stadium address from Patricof. Just let us know where things stand.

I have faith that it'll be less than 10 years. But if I have to wait that long to get a spot in BX or Manhattan instead of Belmont then I'm good with it. All I ask is that we get a state of the stadium address from Patricof. Just let us know where things stand.

Agreed on doing it right rather than settle but I don't have a lot of faith in them. Apart from recent on field success, very little given from them to provide confidence

Bullshit, bring back the count, there is no such thing as too many scarves.

Well, I'm getting rid of the unique part since I don't want to take them all out and see if one is different from another. So it's 50 all together. 50 damn NYCFC scarves.

I also have "You Know Nothing, Grant Wahl" "The North Remembers" scarf from the Dark Clouds, MNUFC supporter group, a few US Soccer ones, and one from college.

Last edited:
Random dumb question: are they going to tear down Belmont raceway or just redevelop land around the track?

Random dumb question: are they going to tear down Belmont raceway or just redevelop land around the track?

I'd leave the 100,000 capacity grandstand and just plop a pitch in front of it. Slap your hands together and say "done". We can start playing next season and have insane attendance numbers.