Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
To do all of those, mad money would have to be thrown in for the construction/engineering, but more importantly there are zoning issues and FAR (floor area ratio - the Square footage of a lot times a multiplier set by zoning, I.e. can only build so much on yea-big of a space).

If we're going to throw that sort of money at the problem, just tell the city that CFG will rebuild Pier-40 for the stadium, extend the pier to add a half dozen community fields, and top it off with a $50M trust for the entire west side river park.
I'm going to follow my post up with the following....

The team was turned down on Pier 40, but they need to keep going back and sweetening the deal (like what I posted previously). At a certain point, the city and community will cave and agree to it because they'll look stupid and self-serving not to. Take Barca going after Coutinho - they've made three bids now and Liverpool is about to crack under the weight of the levels tossed to them. NYCFC should do the same thing, just go ahead and pledge $1B towards the stadium, the community fields, the park's Trust, and River conservation. It'll be accepted and CFG will have a breathtaking stadium and be loved by everybody using the west side park.

The team was turned down on Pier 40, but they need to keep going back and sweetening the deal (like what I posted previously). At a certain point, the city and community will cave and agree to it because they'll look stupid and self-serving not to. Take Barca going after Coutinho - they've made three bids now and Liverpool is about to crack under the weight of the levels tossed to them. NYCFC should do the same thing, just go ahead and pledge $1B towards the stadium, the community fields, the park's Trust, and River conservation. It'll be accepted and CFG will have a breathtaking stadium and be loved by everybody using the west side park.

In their defense, I think they're right to abandon Pier 40 as a viable stadium site for simple fact that there are too many rich people nearby who will throw everything they can in to stop this - hell, look what's happened with the Pier 55 park proposal. But you're definitely right in that that's the model they need to look at. They need to be willing to put larger sums of money on the table and say, for example "We're going to give $5,000,000 to the Flushing Meadows Conservancy, $5 to an HPD housing stabilization fund, yadda yadda" That's the only way it's going to get done.

In their defense, I think they're right to abandon Pier 40 as a viable stadium site for simple fact that there are too many rich people nearby who will throw everything they can in to stop this - hell, look what's happened with the Pier 55 park proposal. But you're definitely right in that that's the model they need to look at. They need to be willing to put larger sums of money on the table and say, for example "We're going to give $5,000,000 to the Flushing Meadows Conservancy, $5 to an HPD housing stabilization fund, yadda yadda" That's the only way it's going to get done.
I think those rich neighbors can be shamed to relent if CFG starts to look like Robin Hood bringing stability to the west side highway park for eternity via their Trust, additional community fields, river conservation, etc. make the PR campaign paint the rich dissenters as being self-serving without a plan to address the above orgs stability. Point out that the rich are worried about the view out their window and not the public green spaces that millions can use. CFG can offer free clinics to the community and tailored to the "have-nots". CFG needs to become relentless and ruthless if they want to make any progress - be the champion for the people so they feel like they're benefittig via the outreach component.

The best places to put the stadium were ALWAYS in depressed parts of the city. The South Bronx has been long overdue for revitalization and public investment. The area around Citi Field makes little sense from a societal impact standpoint, but lots of sense from an economic standpoint.

If you were going to draw a direct comparison between the Manchester project and the NYCFC project, it would be difficult to find more areas more in line with the Manchester plan than the South Bronx. Otherwise, you're looking at certain parts of Harlem or certain parts of Brooklyn and the public transportation would be a nightmare.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The best places to put the stadium were ALWAYS in depressed parts of the city. The South Bronx has been long overdue for revitalization and public investment. The area around Citi Field makes little sense from a societal impact standpoint, but lots of sense from an economic standpoint.

If you were going to draw a direct comparison between the Manchester project and the NYCFC project, it would be difficult to find more areas more in line with the Manchester plan than the South Bronx. Otherwise, you're looking at certain parts of Harlem or certain parts of Brooklyn and the public transportation would be a nightmare.

Broadway Junction is rough, needs development, needs an anchor project, and has relatively great transportation options with J/M/Z/A/C/L trains, a major LIRR stop, and the Jackie Robinson Parkway.

I'm not saying it's a perfect location or the best location, but I'm surprised it's never discussed.

Report: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/plannin..._report/east_ny_broadway_junction_subarea.pdf

Check out pg. 19

Last edited:
We're talking hypothetically here...

What if, hypothetically, there was hypothetically huge hypothetically fire at Pier 40 and the place hypothetically needed to be hypothetically torn down. What would hypothetically rise in its place?

Reactions: hatt91
We're talking hypothetically here...

What if, hypothetically, there was hypothetically huge hypothetically fire at Pier 40 and the place hypothetically needed to be hypothetically torn down. What would hypothetically rise in its place?

Hypothetically? Nothing. I don't think the local residents even want it there

I get what you're saying, but Mansour might have something to say about agreeing to write off 3% of his entire net worth just as sweeteners to get a stadium deal.

I get what you're saying, but Mansour might have something to say about agreeing to write off 3% of his entire net worth just as sweeteners to get a stadium deal.
Lol, of course, but Realestate value in NYC doesn't go down and he'd have the cache of knowing he accomplished something the US Ambassador to England couldn't do. That 3% would not go wasted unless he's worried about the immediate loss of the other 97%.

People talk about net worths like the person has it in cash. I would imagine 93% of his net worth is a fictional valuation based off of today's price of oil. It probably fluctuates 1-3% in any given day.

This guy doesn't have a bank account at Wells Fargo with $17 Billion in it. It's tied up in various projects and is based off of his Kingdom's ability to get oil out from beneath his feet.

People talk about net worths like the person has it in cash. I would imagine 93% of his net worth is a fictional valuation based off of today's price of oil. It probably fluctuates 1-3% in any given day.

This guy doesn't have a bank account at Wells Fargo with $17 Billion in it. It's tied up in various projects and is based off of his Kingdom's ability to get oil out from beneath his feet.
Well then, he should sell high and buy low the next day and he's got the 3% we need :)

Reactions: Kjbert