Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Brooklyn is a big place, and the J and Z run through it on the way to Queens, creating a very easy trip with no Manhattan pass-thru for people in those parts of the borough. No other potential site has ever had this as a feature (well, Aqueduct, but I don't think that ever was very likely) and so it's worth noting even though it doesn't apply to everyone -- or even most people -- in Brooklyn.
And to add to that: the A/C and the L transfer to the J/Z at Broadway Junction, on the way to the J/Z terminus in Jamaica.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Hypothetical:

The location is Belmont, but it is a state of the art, soccer specific stadium that includes fan friendly pricing on all food, beverage, and amenities like Atlanta. Does that change anyone's mind? In this hypothetical, any other location is an average stadium and not fan friendly pricing.

Either you have a reason to peruse the real estate rolls, or you are a man obsessed.

Either way... good find.

This is actually a really big parcel - over 20 acres if the square footage on those rolls is correct. An ideal site from a size and location standpoint, but I've no idea about the politics of that spot.

ETA: I think it is time for a Red Bull Arena superimposition.

Hypothetical:

The location is Belmont, but it is a state of the art, soccer specific stadium that includes fan friendly pricing on all food, beverage, and amenities like Atlanta. Does that change anyone's mind? In this hypothetical, any other location is an average stadium and not fan friendly pricing.
No, still doesn't work. The problem is that there's no subway, and barely an LIRR station.

One thing with New York is that it has the highest percentage of non-car owners of anyplace in the country (56%). If you're going to have a sports team and you want to draw New Yorkers it needs to be convenient to the subway.

I, for one, would love Belmont, but only because I live close by. I can bike there. Would definitely attend a lot more matches. I agree that its not conveniently located otherwise.

Should have made it more clear but the Elmhurst Dairy is actually in Jamaica Queens a short walk from Jamaica Station. The JZ runs through Brooklyn to Jamaica Station.
And to add to that: the A/C and the L transfer to the J/Z at Broadway Junction, on the way to the J/Z terminus in Jamaica.

Don't forget you get get from Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica by LIRR pretty quickly. 18-19 minutes. So anyone in downtown Brooklyn or even downtown Manhattan figure out the subway to Atlantic terminal and add 20 mins and you're there.

IMG_1785.PNG

No, still doesn't work. The problem is that there's no subway, and barely an LIRR station.

One thing with New York is that it has the highest percentage of non-car owners of anyplace in the country (56%). If you're going to have a sports team and you want to draw New Yorkers it needs to be convenient to the subway.
Sorry, left out the source. Also wanted to add a little bit more info but was too eager to hit the Post button.

For comparison, nationally the percentage of households in 2012 with no car is just over 9%. So when you say New York City has 56% of the households car-free that's a huge number, way more than anywhere else in the country. The #2 city is DC at 38%, a huge difference. That's the main reason why at least for me the stadium has to be near the subway. If it's not you're automatically making it impossible for almost 5 million potential fans to get there.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_most_households_without_a_car
but that's quoting this study:
http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/21923-hitchin-a-ride-fewer-americans-have-their-own-vehicle

Tomorrow is the deadline to submit, right? Perhaps we hear some new information then.

Reactions: Kjbert
Either you have a reason to peruse the real estate rolls, or you are a man obsessed.

Either way... good find.

This is actually a really big parcel - over 20 acres if the square footage on those rolls is correct. An ideal site from a size and location standpoint, but I've no idea about the politics of that spot.

ETA: I think it is time for a Red Bull Arena superimposition.

Figured I might as well look for any hard evidence that's out there. I guess I'm a little obsessed too.

I think it's a perfect site. Close to Bronx Brewery too.

Hypothetical:

Nope, location is everything.

Hypothetical:

Not one bit.

Don't forget you get get from Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica by LIRR pretty quickly. 18-19 minutes. So anyone in downtown Brooklyn or even downtown Manhattan figure out the subway to Atlantic terminal and add 20 mins and you're there.

View attachment 7537
I take it back, Elmhurst would actually be pretty great. Its even an easy connection to Kennedy airport. The key is building around Jamaica, cause that is a huge transit center. Barclays Center did the same thing in Brooklyn. It’s also a unique location, perfect for a soccer stadium which can double as an amphitheater.

Nope, location is everything.
Not one bit.

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to understand it. I'd personally travel an extra 30 minutes to watch my team play in a state of the art soccer stadium that is a great fan experience verses an average stadium in a good location, but I also realize many New Yorkers rely on public transportation which is the problem here. I am also used to driving to everything I do, though which is probably where some of my disconnect is here. The amount of times I have taken the subway you can probably count on one hand and the bus probably zero. My perspective on things is entirely different here. No disrespect is intended in my posts if it comes off that way.

I take it back, Elmhurst would actually be pretty great. Its even an easy connection to Kennedy airport. The key is building around Jamaica, cause that is a huge transit center. Barclays Center did the same thing in Brooklyn. It’s also a unique location, perfect for a soccer stadium which can double as an amphitheater.
It would be cool if we could design it as a platform for upcoming rappers in the area. Gaining a presence in poorer areas is going to be crucial for the future of the academy.

I hate typing this because I don't want the intern to see it, but I can envision warming up slightly to Jamaica on a personal level. No season tickets, but I wouldn't give up on the team.

However, I don't envy the sales department who will likely be trying to sell a very large number of suites to corporates. I work in a typical midtown office, and according to Google, it would take me 54 minutes (including 24 minutes walking) on the E train or 57 minutes (including 26 minutes walking) on the F train to get there. I think selling boxes to corporate clients might be a tough sell given that transit.

From my old financial district office, it's 51 minutes (19 minutes walking) with a transfer to the LIRR at Atlantic, or 1 hour and 14 minutes (20 minutes walking) on the J/Z.

EDIT: I'm probably dreaming here, but it would be an amazing spot for a Long Island Rough Riders' USL team and two training fields.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to understand it. I'd personally travel an extra 30 minutes to watch my team play in a state of the art soccer stadium that is a great fan experience verses an average stadium in a good location, but I also realize many New Yorkers rely on public transportation which is the problem here. I am also used to driving to everything I do, though which is probably where some of my disconnect is here. The amount of times I have taken the subway you can probably count on one hand and the bus probably zero. My perspective on things is entirely different here. No disrespect is intended in my posts if it comes off that way.

I drive from Rockland. My travel time to YS door to door is somewhere around 40-45 minutes depending on traffic etc. My limit would be an hour if I'm going to stay a season ticket holder. Anything longer and it becomes an inconvenience in my opinion. I'm not willing to spend 3 hours back and forth for games and if the travel time is longer than the actual game itself that's an issue in my book. I'm sure many subway riders feel the same way.

Edit: And this is coming from someone who will wake up at 4am to drive 3 1/2 up to Vermont just to ski for the day, then turn around after a day of skiing and drive home.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatNYC and dannd23