Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Just keep in mind that we are not obligated to build if selected.

This is a serious bid, I am 100% convinced of that, but this is also the FO hedging our bets, in case we cannot find land anywhere else.

I also think this is going to cut strongly against us in the process. The Islanders are pretty much guaranteed to build if selected, so unless the Islanders' bid is hot trash, why would you reject it in favor of a developer who is publicly indecisive? They run the risk of shooing away the Islanders and then having NYCFC walk.

I also think this is going to cut strongly against us in the process. The Islanders are pretty much guaranteed to build if selected, so unless the Islanders' bid is hot trash, why would you reject it in favor of a developer who is publicly indecisive? They run the risk of shooing away the Islanders and then having NYCFC walk.
Because this is NY and nothing ever makes sense.

Because this is NY and nothing ever makes sense.
New York City, where everything is made up and the points don't matter
giphy.gif

I find it fascinating that nobody shows any interest in developing this land except sports teams. I believe the Cosmos had the only bid in the last go-round. In fact I think the reason it was sat on for years and then re-opened to new bids was the state didn't take the Cosmos bid seriously but they had no alternative.
Now we have 2 more sports teams, and a fake bid by the county on behalf of a web retailer who has shown no actual interest.
The RFP is explicitly for "entertainment, sports, recreation, retail and hospitality" developments.
Developments have to be "complementary" to horse racing and wagering.
Developments are explicitly prohibited from being residential development and gambling.

Not much left besides sports...

Just keep in mind that we are not obligated to build if selected.

This is a serious bid, I am 100% convinced of that, but this is also the FO hedging our bets, in case we cannot find land anywhere else.

maybe but doesnt it just look bad that they chicken out should nycfc win? dont want that " oh they are not serious" reputation in other places they may bid in future.

Do you drive? Do you know what 7 miles past Citi Field is? Getting to Mets games is fairly painless. Getting to JFK or anywhere in that corridor is just stupid.

Do you drive? Do you know that JFK is at the end of the Van Wyck and Belmont is at the end of the Cross Island, where the only JFK traffic is people that are lost or trying to get to the high school in Bellmore?

FFS, man, save your outrage for when you know what you're talking about.

The RFP is explicitly for "entertainment, sports, recreation, retail and hospitality" developments.
Developments have to be "complementary" to horse racing and wagering.
Developments are explicitly prohibited from being residential development and gambling.

Not much left besides sports...
Yes it's limiting but I see 4 other things besides sports. Plus there is more to sports than a team arena or stadium. A big problem for this RFP is that malls are dying. A shopping mall with movie theater and restaurants is exactly in the wheelhouse of those requirements.

Do you drive? Do you know that JFK is at the end of the Van Wyck and Belmont is at the end of the Cross Island, where the only JFK traffic is people that are lost or trying to get to the high school in Bellmore?

FFS, man, save your outrage for when you know what you're talking about.

Went through Bellmore-Merrick school district. This made me chortle.

Reactions: adam
In Belmont. Islanders attendance would go up, NYCFC attendance would go down.
Maybe, but not necessarily. If you throw out the last year in Nassau and the first year in Brooklyn, both higher than usual, the 7 years before the move look very similar attendance-wise compared to the 2 years post-move. They've had 13 1/2 thousand people in a 15,000 seat building for 10 years in a row, more or less. Not sure a new, larger arena is going to help attendance any. Too lazy to look up attendance during their dynasty years but I suppose it'd be around 15,000, or basically a full building. Not sure there's much evidence there's more potential Islanders fans out there.

Personally, I think 29,000 to 27,000 to 22,000 attendance is bleeding pretty good. I have three seats right now. I plan on giving one back. The only reason I haven't given my tickets up completely for game-to-game is because I'm in the lucky few that adores my seats and thinks they're the best in the stadium and the whole section is sold out.

For a team that's doing pretty well on the field, the decline in attendance isn't a good sign though.

I shudder to think what the numbers would be, if NYCFC were sitting last on the table.

For a team that's doing pretty well on the field, the decline in attendance isn't a good sign though.

I shudder to think what the numbers would be, if NYCFC were sitting last on the table.

This!

Could be a whole new thread on here. Why does attendance suck when this team is really good? No more weather excuses like earlier this year.

Last edited:
This!

Could be a whole new thread on here. Why does attendance suck when this team is really good? No more weather excuses like earlier this year.
But does it suck? Only teams ahead of is are: 1) new team/new stadium, 2) 1 of a kind city/stadium combo, 3) powerhouse and 4) new stadium.

And our average is dragged down by at least 600 or so by the Hartford game.

All in, removing the novelty of first seasons and new stadiums and the impact of 1 Hudson Derby vs 2 and the Hartford game, I don’t think attendance is all that bad.

But does it suck? Only teams ahead of is are: 1) new team/new stadium, 2) 1 of a kind city/stadium combo, 3) powerhouse and 4) new stadium.

And our average is dragged down by at least 600 or so by the Hartford game.

All in, removing the novelty of first seasons and new stadiums and the impact of 1 Hudson Derby vs 2 and the Hartford game, I don’t think attendance is all that bad.

When you look at the size of our city and metro area, combined with the diversity we have, we really should be bringing in more fans. I really don't even know what it is besides the stadium issue. We lack a true home so when you tell people you're a fan of NYCFC and they ask where they play, and you tell them Yankee Stadium. I think many people just think we're like a minor league team renting the place.

When you look at the size of our city and metro area, combined with the diversity we have, we really should be bringing in more fans. I really don't even know what it is besides the stadium issue. We lack a true home so when you tell people you're a fan of NYCFC and they ask where they play, and you tell them Yankee Stadium. I think many people just think we're like a minor league team renting the place.

Playing in Yankee Stadium presents the team as a novelty. Playing in a half full stadium gives the look of an inferior product. Playing in Belmont will make NYCFC seem like a NASL team.

Playing in Yankee Stadium presents the team as a novelty. Playing in a half full stadium gives the look of an inferior product. Playing in Belmont will make NYCFC seem like a NASL team.

Exactly... When you play in a 48k seat stadium and you aren't filling the field and main levels, it gives of a really bad appearance.