Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Blumenfield Development Group pull out of Belmont Bid. Claim the selection process seems to be "pre-determined"
PUBLIC listening session scheduled for this Sunday at Elmont High School
NYCFC confirm they will present
Only two bids remain (NYCFC and Islanders)
NYCFC "actively pursuing a number of possible stadium sites and Belmont is one of them"
Islanders say "Belmont Park is our primary focus. We have no Plan B."

Per @jimbaumbach on Twitter

Blumenfield Development Group pull out of Belmont Bid. Claim the selection process seems to be "pre-determined"
PUBLIC listening session scheduled for this Sunday at Elmont High School
NYCFC confirm they will present
Only two bids remain (NYCFC and Islanders)
NYCFC "actively pursuing a number of possible stadium sites and Belmont is one of them"
Islanders say "Belmont Park is our primary focus. We have no Plan B."

Per @jimbaumbach on Twitter

Just post the tweet...

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Well, for me at least, either my hockey or soccer team is getting a new home, so good news for me solely?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Per NEWSDAY Article:

Listening session to be held Sunday, December 10th at 4:30 PM at Elmont Memorial High School
NYCFC will present
Islanders presentation will be a joint presentation by the Islanders, Sterling Project Development and Oak View Group (MSG backed arena developer)
NYCFC and the Islanders briefed elected officials on their proposals last week
Public comments only allowed until DECEMBER 11th (day after the proposals)

I’m on that train too. But hoping Isles get Belmont, NYCFC gets Willets West or the Bridge.
This is my ideal scenario. I think it helps that NYI are begging for the land and we're like, sure we will take it, but it's not our first option.

Reactions: Kjbert
This is my ideal scenario. I think it helps that NYI are begging for the land and we're like, sure we will take it, but it's not our first option.

Blumenfeld backed out saying the way the RFP process went, it seemed obvious they had pre-determined who they wanted to win the bid.

I like the fact that the Islanders are showing up with Sterling Equities (the Wilpons/Developers) and the Oak View Group (Arena developers)

To me, that means it was pre-determined for the Islanders

A lot of us here believe the combined NYCFC/Related bid for Belmont is pure lip service as a political favor to bid up the Isles. This will help them land state approval for Willets West (NYCFC) & Willets Point (Related). But I’m not going to rehash all that. Just go back 20 pages or so.

Some interesting subplots here for everyone.

The CEO of Oakview Group is Tim Lieweke. Tim used to run Phil Anschutz's AEG. Then he ran Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. So in the span of about 5 years, he was responsible for the Galaxy and Toronto FC

We are "bidding" against the Wilpons in this development bid. So the Wilpons wanted to develop Willets Point/Willets West. They were told no. Now they want to develop Belmont. They presumably will be told yes. Then we have to work with them do build a stadium at Willets Point/Willets West.

How any of that makes sense, I don't know. You would think we would have to play nice with the Wilpons, but I imagine there is some sort of 3-D chess going on here that I would never understand.

A lot of us here believe the combined NYCFC/Related bid for Belmont is pure lip service as a political favor to bid up the Isles. This will help them land state approval for Willets West (NYCFC) & Willets Point (Related). But I’m not going to rehash all that. Just go back 20 pages or so.
Ehhh, not one to believe in major theories like that. Just think they took a shot in the dark because YOLO.

Maybe I'm being foolishly optimistic, but it feels like we're getting closer more than ever to something.

Ehhh, not one to believe in major theories like that. Just think they took a shot in the dark because YOLO.

Maybe I'm being foolishly optimistic, but it feels like we're getting closer more than ever to something.

Read up a couple posts at what K Kjbert pointed out. If you don’t think any of this matters, you’re being foolish.

Some interesting subplots here for everyone.

The CEO of Oakview Group is Tim Lieweke. Tim used to run Phil Anschutz's AEG. Then he ran Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. So in the span of about 5 years, he was responsible for the Galaxy and Toronto FC

We are "bidding" against the Wilpons in this development bid. So the Wilpons wanted to develop Willets Point/Willets West. They were told no. Now they want to develop Belmont. They presumably will be told yes. Then we have to work with them do build a stadium at Willets Point/Willets West.

How any of that makes sense, I don't know. You would think we would have to play nice with the Wilpons, but I imagine there is some sort of 3-D chess going on here that I would never understand.

Weren’t Realted and Sterling originally supposed to partner on the Mall/housing for both Willets sites? I would not be shocked if Sterling gets to partner with Related on WP development after NYCFC stadium (only use allowed for WW) makes it possible.

Sterling just couldn’t parter with Related on NYCFC bid for Belmont for very obvious reasons.

Read up a couple posts at what K Kjbert pointed out. If you don’t think any of this matters, you’re being foolish.

For the record, I just want to say that I have no fucking clue what any of this means. It just seems really convenient how the events have played out. Wilpons helped block NYCFC in Flushing. Wilpons try and develop Willets area. Wilpons get shut down. Wilpons and NYCFC bid on Belmont.

Somehow, we are helping the Wilpons in Belmont. I don't understand how NYCFC bidding up the Wilpons development helps them. Maybe it provides cover for what would otherwise be a no-bid win by the Wilpons/Islanders et al?

Someone smarter than me must have this figured.