Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Of note, OVG just won approval to renovate Key Arena (Seattle Sonics) in Seattle into a joint hockey/basketball arena. Will cost $650 Million.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Ins...7-belmont-park-tradition-breaking-new-ground/

From Horse Race Insider (i have no idea how reputable they are but they misspelled suites)

Empire State Development, New York State’s business development agency, has moved quickly and is ever closer to a decision that will award the bid of the New York Islanders hockey team and its consortium to build a new arena at Belmont Park.

The Islanders hope to break ground next spring. “We have no comment as of now,” said Kimber Auerbach, Executive Director of Communications of the Islanders.

The announcement likely will come from someone with a higher pay grade. That, or the ESD award announcement will come at an opportune time for New York’s politically ambitious Governor Andrew Cuomo.

The Islanders, along with New York City FC – The NY Cosmos soccer team, and developer Blumenfeld Development Group submitted bids on Empire State Development’s Request For Proposal by the September 28 deadline.

Ed Blumenthal recognized the warning signs and dropped out yesterday, citing extraordinary financial requirements that, according to a Newsday report, “appear to create a selection process that has been predetermined.”

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Following presentations by both bidders, they will answer handpicked questions previously submitted to the moderator. Written follow-up comments can be made onsite after the meeting, or by email to belmontcomments@gmail.com. The filing deadline is Monday, December 11.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Ins...7-belmont-park-tradition-breaking-new-ground/

From Horse Race Insider (i have no idea how reputable they are but they misspelled suites)

Empire State Development, New York State’s business development agency, has moved quickly and is ever closer to a decision that will award the bid of the New York Islanders hockey team and its consortium to build a new arena at Belmont Park.

The Islanders hope to break ground next spring. “We have no comment as of now,” said Kimber Auerbach, Executive Director of Communications of the Islanders.

The announcement likely will come from someone with a higher pay grade. That, or the ESD award announcement will come at an opportune time for New York’s politically ambitious Governor Andrew Cuomo.

The Islanders, along with New York City FC – The NY Cosmos soccer team, and developer Blumenfeld Development Group submitted bids on Empire State Development’s Request For Proposal by the September 28 deadline.

Ed Blumenthal recognized the warning signs and dropped out yesterday, citing extraordinary financial requirements that, according to a Newsday report, “appear to create a selection process that has been predetermined.”

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Following presentations by both bidders, they will answer handpicked questions previously submitted to the moderator. Written follow-up comments can be made onsite after the meeting, or by email to belmontcomments@gmail.com. The filing deadline is Monday, December 11.

I'm going to assume they are confusing us with the Cosmos rather than writing that we are working with the Cosmos to build a stadium in Belmont.

The Islanders getting this land is 98% certain. NYCFC is just doing Belmont to go through the motions of getting a stadium. Still, GAL and Willets Points are the best spots for it.

I'm going to assume they are confusing us with the Cosmos rather than writing that we are working with the Cosmos to build a stadium in Belmont.

The Islanders getting this land is 98% certain. NYCFC is just doing Belmont to go through the motions of getting a stadium. Still, GAL and Willets Points are the best spots for it.
Still don't get why they put in a bid. Not sure if I buy any of these theories either, so YOLO?

Thank god. I saw Crooks mentioned the team is looking at a spot in Harlem. You know anything about that NYCFCfan NYCFCfan ?
Harlem River Yards has been floated by the club, through some digging there's been a slight change in the dynamics with GAL recently so if the team was willing to walk away from their asking price once, it wouldn't surprise me to see them walk away from it again. Harlem River would be the most logical alternative, though even then I still think it's ultimately coming down to:

Willets Point
GAL
Harlem River Yards

(I'm speculating here but I think LIC is off the table for now as it involves too many moving pieces)