Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
A stadium in the Harlem River Yards could fit. I overlaid BBVA on top of it. There's room to get it bigger. Also a standing-only end can cram a lot more people in a tighter space.

WHOA!!!

Hold on a second there!

BBVA Compass Overlay????

giphy.gif

The Stadium Thread is cyclical. Golden Gate Capital buying a majority stake in GAL was already talked about...100 pages ago, which was only in August 2017...

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/stadium-discussion.21/page-489#post-214867
There's a bit more to it and I won't get into the intricacies of tax and real estate law but I have reason to believe they want to sell the land (but at a very high price) in the near future. Whether that's to NYCFC or the next highest bidder I can't say because I haven't a clue.

Reactions: Kjbert
There's a bit more to it and I won't get into the intricacies of tax and real estate law but I have reason to believe they want to sell the land (but at a very high price) in the near future. Whether that's to NYCFC or the next highest bidder I can't say because I haven't a clue.
Where do you rank the current most likely sites then? Is Willets Point numba one?

Where do you rank the current most likely sites then? Is Willets Point numba one?
In my (meaningless) opinion: My understanding is the team wants a Bronx site because it makes the most sense for them from a standpoint of current STH's. It's so much cheaper to retain old customers (STHs) than make new ones, moving to Queens would put a big burden on them in terms of STH numbers.

I guess it'll come to: if Willets Point is realistically available to them, are they willing to risk a move and build now or hope numbers don't drop too badly and stay in YS hoping for a Bronx site

In my (meaningless) opinion: My understanding is the team wants a Bronx site because it makes the most sense for them from a standpoint of current STH's. It's so much cheaper to retain old customers (STHs) than make new ones, moving to Queens would put a big burden on them in terms of STH numbers.

I guess it'll come to: if Willets Point is realistically available to them, are they willing to risk a move and build now or hope numbers don't drop too badly and stay in YS hoping for a Bronx site
But wouldn't more STHs in Queens offset the loss of Bronx area STHs? You could even argue it would end up a net positive since Queens has a larger soccer fan demographic

Reactions: adam
What hurdles need to past to get Willets Point, if it's truly the most likely option within the city?

willets point is farther but i dont mind

But wouldn't more STHs in Queens offset the loss of Bronx area STHs? You could even argue it would end up a net positive since Queens has a larger soccer fan demographic
Absolutely. But you can't guarantee they'll actually show up to the games. If NYCFC has more games in Queens and they continue to draw well I think they'd be much more willing to make the move ASAP.

Absolutely. But you can't guarantee they'll actually show up to the games. If NYCFC has more games in Queens and they continue to draw well I think they'd be much more willing to make the move ASAP.
If we have a good shot at Willets Point, I think we'd be idiots to not take it. I don't want to be here another 3 years from now still looking for s site. Lol

What hurdles need to past to get Willets Point, if it's truly the most likely option within the city?

NickFromAstoria NickFromAstoria explained it pretty well a while back. But i think they have to get a thumbs up from Albany. This will be asked to coincide with giving back to the city in the form of affordable housing (Willets Point), which is Sterling Equities is involved, brings the Wilpons on board.

Now that it looks like Belmont is going to the Isles (with a combined bid including sterling Equities/Wilpons), NYCFC are the only major sports team looking to build at Willets West, and local politicians are backing that move too. Even Citi was accommodating to us! There’s just way too much smoke if you ask me. I hope they come out with a film like Win for the stadium build, because I’d love to know what happened behind closed doors to get here.

NickFromAstoria NickFromAstoria explained it pretty well a while back. But i think they have to get a thumbs up from Albany. This will be asked to coincide with giving back to the city in the form of affordable housing (Willets Point), which is Sterling Equities is involved, brings the Wilpons on board.

Now that it looks like Belmont is going to the Isles (with a combined bid including sterling Equities/Wilpons), NYCFC are the only major sports team looking to build at Willets West, and local politicians are backing that move too. Even Citi was accommodating to us! There’s just way too much smoke if you ask me. I hope they come out with a film like Win for the stadium build, because I’d love to know what happened behind closed doors to get here.
The Cosmos don't count? :eek::cool:

Yup, that's correct at least insofar as the western half (the CitiField parking lot) is concerned. Since it's considered parkland, Albany has to approve it going to another use. The eastern side is mostly city owned at this point, so no official state approval would be needed there. (Rezonings would most likely have to be done in either case though)

I think it's possible they may be hesitant to pull the trigger on Willet's Point because they think that Tony Avella, or someone like him, will tie it up in litigation for a few years. Everything else about it just makes too much sense otherwise.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert