Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
No the stadium will be built on the current parking lot of Citifield since that is NOT parkland so you won't need approval to build a stadium. The willets point are will be built with additional parking, shopping , housing whatever else they decide. Hopefully it will happen but knowing who things work in NYC who knows.

The parking lot *is* classified as parkland. The state approved Shea Stadium and ancillary structures to be built on that land, such as the parking lot. A mall and another stadium are not ancillary structures to a baseball stadium.

The parking lot *is* classified as parkland. The state approved Shea Stadium and ancillary structures to be built on that land, such as the parking lot. A mall and another stadium are not ancillary structures to a baseball stadium.

This is correct about the parking lot.

I am not entirely convinced that you couldn't put a 2nd stadium on the site under the current authorization. I think the wording is ambiguous, but where there is ambiguity, there is probably a need to go to Albany to avoid any adverse interpretations.

Reactions: Kjbert
This is correct about the parking lot.

I am not entirely convinced that you couldn't put a 2nd stadium on the site under the current authorization. I think the wording is ambiguous, but where there is ambiguity, there is probably a need to go to Albany to avoid any adverse interpretations.
Agreed it is ambiguous. That means go to Albany, litigate, or build it in the triangle on the east side of Citi.

Agreed it is ambiguous. That means go to Albany, litigate, or build it in the triangle on the east side of Citi.

Agree.

The downside of the triangle is that it's going to take a lot longer to get your stadium if you go over there. First, an entirely new development plan needs to be created, vetted and probably litigated. Then, you've got to clear out all the businesses. Then, there is years of environmental remediation. Then, you get to build your stadium.

The upside is that you probably get something really nice built there without having to worry about the Wilpons mucking around and trying to limit your ability to play on the same day as the Mets or keeping your stadium to a certain size, etc.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Agree.

The downside of the triangle is that it's going to take a lot longer to get your stadium if you go over there. First, an entirely new development plan needs to be created, vetted and probably litigated. Then, you've got to clear out all the businesses. Then, there is years of environmental remediation. Then, you get to build your stadium.

The upside is that you probably get something really nice built there without having to worry about the Wilpons mucking around and trying to limit your ability to play on the same day as the Mets or keeping your stadium to a certain size, etc.
You probably still share Citi parking facilities, I think, which necessarily involves schedule coordination with the Wilpons and Mets. Even if there's room in the triangle for FC's own parking facilities, I doubt they would want or be allowed to build them when they're essentially redundant. Even with separate parking, it would be an absolute clusterfark when a Mets game and NYCFC game ended anywhere near each other, or one ends when the other is filling up. I don't see how schedule coordination can be avoided. Can probably do afternoon/night on the same day, and certainly no need for 3-day window around Mets games, but coordination would be necessary.

Same true for the GAL site and Yankees btw.

Reactions: adam
You probably still share Citi parking facilities, I think, which necessarily involves schedule coordination with the Wilpons and Mets. Even if there's room in the triangle for FC's own parking facilities, I doubt they would want or be allowed to build them when they're essentially redundant. Even with separate parking, it would be an absolute clusterfark when a Mets game and NYCFC game ended anywhere near each other, or one ends when the other is filling up. I don't see how schedule coordination can be avoided. Can probably do afternoon/night on the same day, and certainly no need for 3-day window around Mets games, but coordination would be necessary.

Same true for the GAL site and Yankees btw.
Not entirely sure this will be a problem. I mean, there's been any number of times the US Open has happened at the same time as Mets games so it would seem to be doable. Not saying there won't be extra traffic and congestion but I'd think it could be made to work. Also not saying it wouldn't pay to work the schedule to avoid any overlap whenever possible as that would make things easier, of course.

DQu7dzOUQAAnLOu.jpg

Updated and better picture.
I'm glad they included those pictures over to the right. I was really confused by what they meant by Soccer Stadium, Outlet Retail, and Community Park. But those really helped clear it up.

Does anyone know if the spot they put the stadium in that slide was the part that is actually in NYC? I'm curious if they deliberately did that, or if they didn't see it as all that important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Does anyone know if the spit they put the stadium in that slide was the part that us actually in NYC? I'm curious if they deliberately did that, or if they didn't see it as all that important.

If Google Earth can be believed, no it's not but the western wall of the stadium would pretty much be grazing the border.

They have to be trolling us now. Build the stadium on the Bronx/Yonkers border. Yonkers may even pay you to do that

Reactions: JayH