• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Nope.

On the other hand, though, the two new Council Members representing all possible stadium sites are now set in their offices, and the Council has a generally more development-friendly Speaker, so we may be in a better place now.

Quick on-line research on Corey Johnson, new City Council Speaker.
  • Athlete - was quarterback and captain of his HS football team.
  • Gay - came out during aforementioned HS football career, making national headlines.
  • HIV positive.
  • Viewed as being willing to challenge the Mayor when necessary.
  • A Boston Red Sox fan (like DeBlasio and his predecessor).
  • Doesn't drink or do drugs (recovering from substance abuse).
  • One quarter Korean.

• Gay - came out during aforementioned HS football career, making national headlines.
  • HIV positive.
  • One quarter Korean.

See, THIS should be much more scandalous than it has been. :p

But as to things more relevant to us, here's a good short article on his stance on development.

So Cuomo's State of the State was last night. Any relevant updates?

He mentioned a desire to fund extending the subway to Red Hook, close it’s port and open the area for development. So if you’re willing to believe that’ll happen, it would include a possibility for a stadium, and to wait until 2045, that’s an option

He mentioned a desire to fund extending the subway to Red Hook, close it’s port and open the area for development. So if you’re willing to believe that’ll happen, it would include a possibility for a stadium, and to wait until 2045, that’s an option
Good luck with a subway on that waterfront when it floods, which with global warming could be in about three years give or take.

Closing the ports is a great idea and I posted about a stadium there (even if they stayed) as a stadium cantilevered over the docks.

• HIV positive.
  • One quarter Korean.
Fuck man he won the liberal minority checklist. Hes got my vote!

Y'all think this is the year we get an announcement? Lol

Y'all think this is the year we get an announcement? Lol

Well in two months, it was a year ago from the cocktail hour with pitchside and suite holders where Patricof said there would be a stadium announcement soon.

So, anytime you say you say you'll be somewhere, that's a notice of 365 days.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well in two months, it was a year ago from the cocktail hour with pitchside and suite holders where Patricof said there would be a stadium announcement soon.

I genuinely wonder if they had something fall through, which is why they placed a YOLO bid for Belmont. The second we face stadium issues again this season, shit is going to hit the fan.

There was another event in September (??) where he made similar comments

There was another event in September (??) where he made similar comments
At the Pitchside event just before last season he made the comments which sounded promising at the time (full team working full time, we are getting close, news soon etc). But he has made close to the same comments several times since then (including at the end of season NYCFC House party you mention) so I take all of his comments as part of the same script, and likely nothing was particularly imminent last February.

I believe that they probably still are spending most of their time on options 1-3 attempting to clear whatever hurdles (politics, negotiation, community, hard to get games, beauty contests, etc.) that have caused the delay-impasse thus far. That is a massive undertaking. In the meantime they continue to (lightly?) explore other less appealing options, like someone would apply to safety schools, or ponder outside-the-box options which again may be less appealing (across city lines?)

From the beginning, I have always had five years from first kick in my mind as the reasonable timeline to have a definitive deal. I still think that’s about right.

At the Pitchside event just before last season he made the comments which sounded promising at the time (full team working full time, we are getting close, news soon etc). But he has made close to the same comments several times since then (including at the end of season NYCFC House party you mention) so I take all of his comments as part of the same script, and likely nothing was particularly imminent last February.

I believe that they probably still are spending most of their time on options 1-3 attempting to clear whatever hurdles (politics, negotiation, community, hard to get games, beauty contests, etc.) that have caused the delay-impasse thus far. That is a massive undertaking. In the meantime they continue to (lightly?) explore other less appealing options, like someone would apply to safety schools, or ponder outside-the-box options which again may be less appealing (across city lines?)

From the beginning, I have always had five years from first kick in my mind as the reasonable timeline to have a definitive deal. I still think that’s about right.

5 years from first kick means probably another 5 years at Yankee stadium unfortunately. I for one would like to see us split some time between YS and Citi Field if it gets us a better schedule.

There was an event at NYCFC HQ in Manhattan with 6-8 season ticket holders where Patricof talked about being very close - they brought in an architect from Spain, etc.

Reactions: JayH
5 years from first kick means probably another 5 years at Yankee stadium unfortunately. I for one would like to see us split some time between YS and Citi Field if it gets us a better schedule.

How close are we to having the worst stadium situation in MLS? Are we the second worst stadium behind the Revs?

How close are we to having the worst stadium situation in MLS? Are we the second worst stadium behind the Revs?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. But now that DC is getting a stadium, NE & NYC share this distinction of worst stadium situations.

This is what you hear from Rev fans also. The Krafts always string their fans on by saying a SSS is just around the corner.

Reactions: NYCFC_JD and Kjbert
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. But now that DC is getting a stadium, NE & NYC share this distinction of worst stadium situations.

This is what you hear from Rev fans also. The Krafts always string their fans on by saying a SSS is just around the corner.
At least we play on grass.

I figured someone would say that. That's why I said there'd be plenty of opinions. I've never been to Gillette but I would think the viewing angles for fans is much better.
I’m not discounting that we’re both in the same shitty position of not having a viable home, but my point is we’re at least playing on grass, so it’s a situation of being #22a & #22b

Reactions: Jon
I’m not discounting that we’re both in the same shitty position of not having a viable home, but my point is we’re at least playing on grass, so it’s a situation of being #22a & #22b

Exactly, it's a race to the bottom. Hooray!

giphy.gif