Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. But now that DC is getting a stadium, NE & NYC share this distinction of worst stadium situations.

This is where my thinking came from. RFK was a famous shithole, but it had history. Now they'll have a new stadium.

Gillette is really nice but it can take you 2.5 hours to get there from Boston and it's a straight up football stadium. Chicago Fire play an hour from where the people are. FC Dallas aren't really near Dallas. The Union are 30 minutes from Philly.

I would say Revs is the worst and we're second worst. I would then go Fire, Dallas, Columbus, Colorado.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. But now that DC is getting a stadium, NE & NYC share this distinction of worst stadium situations.

This is what you hear from Rev fans also. The Krafts always string their fans on by saying a SSS is just around the corner.
I believe comparing Kraft to CFG is apples to oranges, for so many reasons, including motivation, timing, and business plan. I am convinced (hopeful?) that we are all-in on the commitment and the search, and will come close to hitting on my timeline, so I don't see our situation as a bad one (unless you are simply comparing home field at the present). If we don't have a deal done along those lines, my optimism would have been misplaced (particularly as to CFG's commitment) and I think that our problem would be much larger than a stadium at that point and much more dire (though let's not go there).

giphy.gif

I would say the stadium situation in Columbus is pretty damn awful. I mean, they're looking into building a stadium in Austin! :D

True, but they have their own stadium and make their own call on a schedule. They're not subject to the whims of another team. That counts for a lot.

Reactions: Kjbert
There was an event at NYCFC HQ in Manhattan with 6-8 season ticket holders where Patricof talked about being very close - they brought in an architect from Spain, etc.

Presumably you mean Rafael Vinoly? He's done a few bits of work for CFG before, and I think he even went as far as opening offices in Manchester and New York. He's also the guy behind the new Park Avenue skyscraper which was finished recently.

Incidentally, Vinoly is Uruguayan not Spanish, for all that that matters.

Presumably you mean Rafael Vinoly? He's done a few bits of work for CFG before, and I think he even went as far as opening offices in Manchester and New York. He's also the guy behind the new Park Avenue skyscraper which was finished recently.

I was told that the architect came from Barcelona. Or it might have been Madrid. One of those two

Reactions: Falastur
I was told that the architect came from Barcelona. Or it might have been Madrid. One of those two

Fair enough. Could be someone different then. Vinoly is the only architect I've ever seen linked to CFG but there's no reason why they wouldn't work with other people too.

Fair enough. Could be someone different then. Vinoly is the only architect I've ever seen linked to CFG but there's no reason why they wouldn't work with other people too.

I could also be wrong. What I was told was something along the lines of "they brought over an architect from (XYZ) Spain" to open an office here. It's entirely possible I misinterpreted the information. But that was a Patricof quote second hand.

I could also be wrong. What I was told was something along the lines of "they brought over an architect from (XYZ) Spain" to open an office here. It's entirely possible I misinterpreted the information. But that was a Patricof quote second hand.
Still could be the same guy, right?

Uruguayans can work in Spain unless I'm mistaken.

Vinoly has had an office in NYC for years, at least two decades. He’s also an ass and his office is a white collar sweat shop where people go and completely burn out after a year.

Still could be the same guy, right?

Uruguayans can work in Spain unless I'm mistaken.
I thought we started looking at Cruz + Ortiz but can't find any reason or post which suggests why I would have that in my head: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruz_y_Ortiz

FWIW, Santa Justa is pretty left-field compared to most stadium architecture, but at least opinionated. The Wanda Metropolitano hasn't been great luck for Atleti and is a little more conventional, arguably?

ETA -
Oh here it is

ETA - forum search works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
I believe comparing Kraft to CFG is apples to oranges, for so many reasons, including motivation, timing, and business plan. I am convinced (hopeful?) that we are all-in on the commitment and the search, and will come close to hitting on my timeline, so I don't see our situation as a bad one (unless you are simply comparing home field at the present). If we don't have a deal done along those lines, my optimism would have been misplaced (particularly as to CFG's commitment) and I think that our problem would be much larger than a stadium at that point and much more dire (though let's not go there).

The Krafts have had 20+ years, the capital, the real estate, and he political pull to build a stadium for the Revs. And they haven’t. This was one of a myriad of reasons I left them behind. Everything CFG does (like it or not) reflects a philosophy and sensibility diametrically opposed to what the Krafts do with the Revs. The NE stadium situation is far worse than ours and the rest of the league’s, in just about every way one might measure it. Gillette is a morgue even when it is full (which it never is for soccer). Even the old Foxboro stadium with its aluminum bleachers had a much better atmosphere. The Krafts have no financial motivation to build a soccer stadium, and they don’t care about the Revs, so until or unless they sell the team (and why would they? — they have recouped their investment many times over) this situation will not change.

I'd like to believe that CFG has a lot more resources than Kraft and that they are engaging the community a lot more than Kraft is with the Revs.