• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I'm an idiot.

It couldn't be us. They said they loaned the money. Usually that means the credit facility has been drawn on. I would imagine it's Minnesota.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Money is not the issue in our case. It's politics.

I don't even think we're there yet. I think it has more to do with money. They are gonna squeeze every penny out of the YS set up for as long as they possible can. I also believe they wanted to see 5 years worth of data before making a move. Attendance/money will dictate when, where and what type of stadium we get. After all that...then we get to play the multi-year political game.

I don't even think we're there yet. I think it has more to do with money. They are gonna squeeze every penny out of the YS set up for as long as they possible can. I also believe they wanted to see 5 years worth of data before making a move. Attendance/money will dictate when, where and what type of stadium we get. After all that...then we get to play the multi-year political game.

If they look at attendance trends we'd probably expect a smaller stadium. You have to remember that this is probably our only shot at a stadium in the city so you have to think they're building for future attendance, not current attendance.

That's interesting. Why do you think that?

Looking at it from a business standpoint...With a growing league and the complexity of the NYC market, it would be very hard to assess needs unseen. It's too big of an investment to make a wrong decision. Look at RBA. What a dumb mistake putting an arena in Harrison. They banked on the South American demo to fill that place. It's mostly white people traveling to a stadium that is a pain in the ass to get to. So nobody goes. Now that the American Dream Mall is being finished by Met Life, that would have been a perfect spot. It's an ideal situation for CFG to be in. The team can operate and make money, while testing the market. Most businesses prepare to lose money when doing that. I'm not saying they're like a prerevenue business, but it's close. It's smart business, but they have to be very careful not to alienate the fan base. This is realistically the last year without a plan before that happens if you ask me.

Money is always a factor but if it weren't for politics we'd already have a stadium by now. Two, actually.

If they look at attendance trends we'd probably expect a smaller stadium. You have to remember that this is probably our only shot at a stadium in the city so you have to think they're building for future attendance, not current attendance.
Looking at it from a business standpoint...With a growing league and the complexity of the NYC market, it would be very hard to assess needs unseen. It's too big of an investment to make a wrong decision. Look at RBA. What a dumb mistake putting an arena in Harrison. They banked on the South American demo to fill that place. It's mostly white people traveling to a stadium that is a pain in the ass to get to. So nobody goes. Now that the American Dream Mall is being finished by Met Life, that would have been a perfect spot. It's an ideal situation for CFG to be in. The team can operate and make money, while testing the market. Most businesses prepare to lose money when doing that. I'm not saying they're like a prerevenue business, but it's close. It's smart business, but they have to be very careful not to alienate the fan base. This is realistically the last year without a plan before that happens if you ask me.

Harrison was chosen not for the demographics but the tax incentives. The tax incentive isn’t specific to Harrison but it was also the closest city with available land and access to public transportation.

Money is always a factor but if it weren't for politics we'd already have a stadium by now. Two, actually.
And TBH if we had to deal with only one government, it would simplify things, but making the city and state play nice is another crazy ordeal.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Harrison was chosen not for the demographics but the tax incentives. The tax incentive isn’t specific to Harrison but it was also the closest city with available land and access to public transportation.

IIRC, they originally wanted Newark, but the city was focused on minor league baseball and went in that direction instead. Turns out to have been bad for everyone involved.

IIRC, they originally wanted Newark, but the city was focused on minor league baseball and went in that direction instead. Turns out to have been bad for everyone involved.

Could be right. Newark would have made sense for similar reasons as the tax incentives would have been the same. Ultimately, Harrison was the better choice but not because of the demographics. Either way, the stadium location was more a function of a tax deal, available land and available public transportation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Speaking of the NE playbook

Revs open to stadium in Providence
http://sbisoccer.com/2018/01/jonathan-kraft-revs-open-to-stadium-in-providence

"We’re hopeful that by the end of 2018 the Revolution will have announced a soccer specific stadium,” he said.

LOL

I don't think it's a terrible location. While Providence itself isn't very big in terms of population, it's only 30-45 minutes from the Boston suburbs. It's not a long drive. I mean I'm up in Rockland and it takes me 35-45 minutes to get to Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Speaking of the NE playbook

Revs open to stadium in Providence
http://sbisoccer.com/2018/01/jonathan-kraft-revs-open-to-stadium-in-providence

"We’re hopeful that by the end of 2018 the Revolution will have announced a soccer specific stadium,” he said.

LOL
That's actually not quite as crazy as it sounds. Gillette is already way outside of Boston and Providence is only another half an hour away. There's also trains to Providence, unlike Gillette, so pretty convenient if it's anywhere walkable from downtown. There's also room there for development perhaps. Metro population is over a million also, so there's enough people there to support the team, especially if you include everyone from Boston to Hartford/New Haven. Not saying it's a good idea but it's also not a crazy one either.

I think this one can be filed with our Belmont bid in terms of seriousness.

Disagree on that one. I think it's a possibility. Definitely easier to find land and it'll be cheaper. I'm sure they study where their fans are coming from. If most are coming from the suburbs south and west of Boston then moving the stadium a little farther away isn't a big deal. Add in the fact that you can take commuter rail and in an hour you can get from downtown Boston to downtown Providence, and it makes sense. Especially if there's ZERO prospect of building in downtown Boston.