• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

I mean....the guy who wrote the piece appears to have been writing about sport business for at least the last 17 years. So even if our own back-of-the-envelope calculations don't match up with his, I think he probably knows what he's talking about to some extent. I know criticizing the media is so hot right now, but the mentality that any criticism of this project is a "libtard" (hey, cool insult!) plot seems kind of lame to me.
I'm sorry that I offended you.

The guy is clueless. Anyone with an even modest understanding of economics and/or real estate can see immediately through the holes in his argu..., ahem... journalism. He clearly has an axe to grind- public financing of private sports enterprises. Fine- but if you report on these matters you still need facts to support your story and he relies on haphazard glossed over pop-truisms and tries to pass them off as accepted facts. He’s either an idiot or intellectually dishonest. Take your pick.
His Vice stories (I looked) are almost all negatively slanted (Vice typically plays loose and fast). And discussing sports is vastly different from understanding real estate, infrastructure, and economics. But hey, throw a proverbial hand grenade op/ed into a crowded room (as the only dissenting voice amongst many other outlets that ran the story). Lastly, he’s actively looking for a new gig - he’s listed it - so this is a way to get noticed. That last point is all the reasoning needed to counter-punch a breaking story.

Reactions: Kjbert
Are we going to have an Adam Nemec statue? No, we’ll just call him and tell him to stand over there.

Are we going to have a tmac statue? Yes, but every year it will look worse and worse compared to his teammates.

Will we have a Mata statue? Yes, but it will be broken all the time.

Will we have a Kreis statue? NO. Da fuq??

His Vice stories (I looked) are almost all negatively slanted (Vice typically plays loose and fast). And discussing sports is vastly different from understanding real estate, infrastructure, and economics. But hey, throw a proverbial hand grenade op/ed into a crowded room (as the only dissenting voice amongst many other outlets that ran the story). Lastly, he’s actively looking for a new gig - he’s listed it - so this is a way to get noticed. That last point is all the reasoning needed to counter-punch a breaking story.

Still a hack

Yeah...the story I linked said they were still involved in building it, but that they only sold the land. That story also noted Somerset was having trouble getting the $500 million needed for financing. Brookfield has much deeper pockets.

So yes the land is worth $165 million, but only if you have $500 million behind it. The same is true of the HFY site. Putting up the $100-200 million for the platform over the tracks is a big ask if you don’t have the committed capital for the actual buildings.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I’d like to see Vermes show up with a tape measure again for his first match there.
That's the last scene in the NYCFC movie. Vermes sneaks into our new stadium at dawn on the morning of our home opener and measures the field. It's 75 meters wide, the widest a field is allowed to be. Then he throws his fist in the air and Simple Minds starts playing "Don't You Forget About Meee"