Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
CFG has been tight lipped about stadium plans for 4 years (Unlike Miami which has probably floated 12 different sites in that time) I am not sure why anyone would assume CFG/NYCFC/Yankees was leaking this now. More likely the EDC is moving toward an RFP that fits the stadium /housing proposal and it the YIMBY real estate blog that broke this story today found out about it from a different developer or someone in the EDC. This is big enough news it should have a life of its own now that it is out.

There is substantial research concluding that public financing of sports stadiums for private owners is a terrible use of public dollars. As a result you are going to see a lot of folks reflexively come out against the NYCFC stadium proposal because of the public land angle of the project. I think the concept of building over the rail yards is a very innovative use of publicly owned space that will benefit the Bronx and NYC but won't happen if there are astronomic acquisition costs for the right to develop the air above the rail yards. The costs of developing the area while maintaining the rail yard use will be huge.

This site doesn't seem to have a lot of environmental risk attached to it which should make it very desirable for CFG. Harlem River Yards seems like a very strong possibility. It isn't more than a strong possibility but we haven't heard of a proposal this likely before.

So ESD first puts out an RFEI and then based on interest they proceed with an RFP?

Going back to the Belmont site:

• RFP was announced on July 31, 2017
  • Deadline to submit a proposal was September 28, 2017
  • Winning bid announced December 20, 2017
Does anyone know when the initial RFEI for Belmont was announced?

So ESD first puts out an RFEI and then based on interest they proceed with an RFP?

Going back to the Belmont site:

• RFP was announced on July 31, 2017
  • Deadline to submit a proposal was September 28, 2017
  • Winning bid announced December 20, 2017
Does anyone know when the initial RFEI for Belmont was announced?

December 2016 there was an extension last year to may.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Some nuggets to tie together.

Not a coincidence that we are dealing with Cuomo on the last two sites. Katz can't be thrilled with BDB right now about her pet projects getting done. Don't see how BDB could fuck us without wasting taxpayer money to sue the state. Totally plausible he would do that.

YIMBY friendly with developers. Can draw a straight line to who leaked. Can't imagine our side is happy about that. The Club doesn't want these questions asked right now.

Having worked on public pension RFPs before, it's a shit ton of work. So even a prelim would have required the investigation of the feasibility of the site. That's a good sign. I can't imagine the man hours that went to the investigation of this site to prepare for an RFP of this magnitude. Need to loop in all sorts of different aspects to make it come together.

Are we going to have a Pirlo statue? Oh wait, he already was one on the Pitch!

Are we going to have a Lampard statue? Yes, but it won’t be installed till 2032.

Are we going to have a Mix statue? Yes, but it will be hidden in the basement.

Are we going to have a PV statue? Yes, and you’ll be really quite pleased with it.

Are we going to have a Jlew statue? Yes, it will look great the first year it is displayed. Then it will disappear.

I can go all night...
Well Mr I can go all night Yeah Right let's just ask the girl in your life just how true a statement that is . That is if you even have a girl .
As for the Pirlo statue the one that was already on the pitch ...WHY WHY WHY !!! Do I have to remind you people/ jury that when one has so much Johnson in ones shorts one simply can't move fastly !!! But that's just a problem you will never relate to

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
In fairness, the news’ producers probably read about it today and are doing it themselves - Pix11 covers local sports pretty well.

I’m sure they saw it but I’m betting they and the NY Post contacted the club and while there are no on record comments yet, they could easily be pushing it on background. The Post, Pix11 and ESPN haven’t really picked up on any past “rumors.” This looks and feels very different and probably for a reason.

But if this is a play to pressure EDC, it’s a dangerous one. If it’s to protect their position due to a possible or completed sale of the parcel by Somerset, then I’d be a lot less concerned.

But they haven’t done a great job of managing the local narrative in general so I’m not overly confident either way.

Reactions: FredMertz
This site doesn't seem to have a lot of environmental risk attached to it

Is that even possible in NYC?

ETA:

http://www.motthavenherald.com/2012/12/21/future-floods-could-contaminate-port-morris/

From 2012:

The city labels the entire Harlem River waterfront on the Bronx side a brownfield site, or a heavily contaminated site, according to the mayor’s Office of Environmental Remediation database, while the state Department of Environmental Conservation says there are a handful of such sites in the flood zone in Port Morris.

“There are contaminants in a lot of these areas, so you need to look at remediation,” said Paul Mankiewicz, biologist and director of the Gaia Institute. Brownfield sites may have lead or gasoline derivatives like benzene, he said. Potential spills from transformers around electric facilities or rail lines are also a concern, he said.

The evacuation zones in the South Bronx include the Harlem River Yard, Con Edison, and a few brownfield sites, one of which used to be a gas station.

¯\_('-')_/¯

Last edited:
Perhaps, finally some positive news.

I wouldnt be surprised if they changed the final design for the stadium, if this does indeed come to fruition.

Well Mr I can go all night Yeah Right let's just ask the girl in your life just how true a statement that is . That is if you even have a girl .
As for the Pirlo statue the one that was already on the pitch ...WHY WHY WHY !!! Do I have to remind you people/ jury that when one has so much Johnson in ones shorts one simply can't move fastly !!! But that's just a problem you will never relate to

Will there be a statue of SeanJohn? Yes. But it will be NSFW.

And why do you limit me to only one girl in my life? Got to spread the love baby :wink: Next time you’re in NY you can see for yourself. Maybe you’ll switch to idolizing Jews over Italians.

Is that even possible in NYC?

ETA:

http://www.motthavenherald.com/2012/12/21/future-floods-could-contaminate-port-morris/

From 2012:

The city labels the entire Harlem River waterfront on the Bronx side a brownfield site, or a heavily contaminated site, according to the mayor’s Office of Environmental Remediation database, while the state Department of Environmental Conservation says there are a handful of such sites in the flood zone in Port Morris.

“There are contaminants in a lot of these areas, so you need to look at remediation,” said Paul Mankiewicz, biologist and director of the Gaia Institute. Brownfield sites may have lead or gasoline derivatives like benzene, he said. Potential spills from transformers around electric facilities or rail lines are also a concern, he said.

The evacuation zones in the South Bronx include the Harlem River Yard, Con Edison, and a few brownfield sites, one of which used to be a gas station.

¯\_('-')_/¯
When I glanced through the RFEI it looked like the environmental surveys were complete and the remediation was to build on top of or pave over or plant vegetation on affected areas. That 'remediation' solution is common for a brownfield site with no contaminants found above acceptable levels.

When I glanced through the RFEI it looked like the environmental surveys were complete and the remediation was to build on top of or pave over or plant vegetation on affected areas. That 'remediation' solution is common for a brownfield site with no contaminants found above acceptable levels.

That alone makes this a better spot than WP (in terms of cost and time).

Announcement from ESD on 11/18/16 for RFEI

Deadlines for proposals were due by 2/2/17

What would prevent them from following through with an RFP?

Interesting note from the ESD HRY Addendum from January 2017:

"The RFEI is designed to help frame a future RFP. An entity that does not respond to the RFEI may still put in a bid responsive to an RFP. Likewise, an entity that does respond to the RFEI is not guaranteed to be selected under an RFP, even if the RFP was greatly influenced by their RFEI proposal."

So developers who did not submit proposals during the initial RFEI can submit once a RFP is announced.

Announcement from ESD on 11/18/16 for RFEI

Deadlines for proposals were due by 2/2/17

What would prevent them from following through with an RFP?

Interesting note from the ESD HRY Addendum from January 2017:

"The RFEI is designed to help frame a future RFP. An entity that does not respond to the RFEI may still put in a bid responsive to an RFP. Likewise, an entity that does respond to the RFEI is not guaranteed to be selected under an RFP, even if the RFP was greatly influenced by their RFEI proposal."

So developers who did not submit proposals during the initial RFEI can submit once a RFP is announced.
They can, but it’d be like joining a 100m race 2secs after the gun went off. The “early” proposals have the benefit of all the time spent on the RFEI, time since submission, and time for the RFP for their research, economic models, and to tweak their designs and proposals. Also throw in the familiarity that the govt players have with each RFEI submission, hard not to have an immediate like/dislike for each that frames their bias. Maybe a newbie has a radical idea that blows everybody else away, but that’s like winning the RFP lottery, they have a huge hill to climb to get even with the others.

Others probably have a better sense of this than I do, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a quick RFP process (not like the Aquaduct fiasco that was done twice). Cuomo wants a political win.

Also, didn’t the Yimby writeup say the stadium would be ready by 2022? How can that be claimed *unless* certain parties know when the awarding will take place - maybe I missed it in the article, but I don’t think they had a caveat of “if awarded tomorrow.” Also, at the round table I was at, ~4 years start/finish was the answer I was given with award, approvals, remediation, and construction being the schedule factors.

Last edited:
It will be hard for Cuomo to resist putting together a major development that includes affordable housing right in DeBlasio’s back yard. That has to help us.

Still, I think those who say NYC have no say in what happens are overstating things. They don’t control zoning, but I find it hard to believe there won’t be anything involved in planning and constuction that won’t require sign off from City Hall.

They can, but it’d be like joining a 100m race 2secs after the gun went off. The “early” proposals have the benefit of all the time spent on the RFEI, time since submission, and time for the RFP for their research, economic models, and to tweak their designs and proposals. Also throw in the familiarity that the govt players have with each RFEI submission, hard not to have an immediate like/dislike for each that frames their bias. Maybe a newbie has a radical idea that blows everybody else away, but that’s like winning the RFP lottery, they have a huge hill to climb to get even with the others.

Others probably have a better sense of this than I do, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a quick RFP process (not like the Aquaduct fiasco that was done twice). Cuomo wants a political win.

Also, didn’t the Yimby writeup say the stadium would be read by 2022? How can that be claimed *unless* certain parties know when the awarding will take place - maybe I missed it in the article, but I don’t think they had a caveat of “if awarded tomorrow.” Also, at the round table I was at, ~4 years start/finish was the answer I was given with award, approvals, remediation, and construction being the schedule factors.

Interesting info but I still would like to know why ESD would delay an RFP. Can they skip that step and just award a winner?