Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
To the folks complaining that we weren't teasing an official announcement: I get it, you've had your hopes crushed a lot over the years, but if that's what the teaser was we'd be just another outlet for NYCFC PR.
I think it's people projecting their anger/frustration with the club. I very much appreciate the investigative effort, even if I want the facts to be different than they are. You're not even getting paid to bring us the kind of journalism that paid journalists are not

To the folks complaining that we weren't teasing an official announcement: I get it, you've had your hopes crushed a lot over the years, but if that's what the teaser was we'd be just another outlet for NYCFC PR. You want actual reporting, this is what it looks like. It's hard, it's incremental, and it does its best to draw responsible conclusions from investigative reporting when nobody involved will talk.

It's also the biggest stadium news in over a year. Forgive us for wanting to get readers excited about it. SoupInNYC SoupInNYC did outstanding work and I'm glad people are reading it. Love y'all.
certainly would not have been crazy to think you could have scooped a forthcoming announcement. Every announcement gets scooped. Something this big will not be a surprise. You wanted to drive clicks and interest and were willing to sacrifice a tiny piece of goodwill to do so. Surely we all reacted the way you expected us to.

To the folks complaining that we weren't teasing an official announcement: I get it, you've had your hopes crushed a lot over the years, but if that's what the teaser was we'd be just another outlet for NYCFC PR. You want actual reporting, this is what it looks like. It's hard, it's incremental, and it does its best to draw responsible conclusions from investigative reporting when nobody involved will talk.

It's also the biggest stadium news in over a year. Forgive us for wanting to get readers excited about it. SoupInNYC SoupInNYC did outstanding work and I'm glad people are reading it. Love y'all.
What was interesting about the tweet I found, was that certain individuals who weren’t previously returning voicemails or responding to emails all of a sudden started doing so after that tweet went out.

I’m really looking forward to being able to find out more going forward and share more with everyone.

Also, I really think where we are now, is gone from looking throughout the city at where we can fit a soccer stadium, to looking through the city (probably just in the Bronx) at where we can fit an elevator manufacturing facility.

(Caveating to include the whole ULURP process that would then occur)

Also, I really think where we are now, is gone from looking throughout the city at where we can fit a soccer stadium, to looking through the city (probably just in the Bronx) at where we can fit an elevator manufacturing facility.

(Caveating to include the whole ULURP process that would then occur)

So from your reporting it seems like the team has settled on wanting this to be the location (as they probably wanted it years ago but that's beside the point), and now they're trying to make it happen. Is that fair?

Also, your article says we may be closer than most people realize. That's interesting. Any guesstimate you have on what a timetable might look like? Are the outstanding issues 6-month issues, 12-month issues, 2 year issues, etc? (Not holding you to anything, just wondering what a current estimate might look like).

Great reporting on this, man. It's the most consequential thing regarding this organization, and you are the only person doing any kind of real reporting on it. Pretty impressive for you to have this much information with what seems like virtually no leaks or help from the team. You're doing the really hard work here and most people on this forum have absolutely no idea how hard it is to grind on a story like this. Big props to you.

I hope this is the real deal I need some good news lol
giphy.gif

As with the prior article, I find myself in the minority who isn't encouraged by this news. To be clear, I'm glad to have it reported, and this is great work by Chris. But there was a brief blast of mainstream reportage (NYT, the Real Deal) around the time of the meeting in summer 2018 that SoupInNYC SoupInNYC revealed this week (pretty neat that he found out these details that those reports lacked). Back then I, and many others, were optimistic that events would progress much faster than they have. That optimism was completely unwarranted. The entirety of Chris's reporting, to me, reveals that the club is making a sustained push for the GAL site but to me the progress is minimal. I'm on record - I'm not digging them up but I have multiple posts about the history of how many NYC stadium/arena projects failed, and how long they take even when they succeed. I'm aware of how things work. But in my ignorance I imagined we were further along in summer 2018 than we were. Now the fullness of Chris's reporting shows there still was a long way to go and we've basically had 1 CB meeting since then and there still is no set location for GAL's relocation. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.
I envy you optimistic bastards.

As with the prior article, I find myself in the minority who isn't encouraged by this news. To be clear, I'm glad to have it reported, and this is great work by Chris. But there was a brief blast of mainstream reportage (NYT, the Real Deal) around the time of the meeting in summer 2018 that SoupInNYC SoupInNYC revealed this week (pretty neat that he found out these details that those reports lacked). Back then I, and many others, were optimistic that events would progress much faster than they have. That optimism was completely unwarranted. The entirety of Chris's reporting, to me, reveals that the club is making a sustained push for the GAL site but to me the progress is minimal. I'm on record - I'm not digging them up but I have multiple posts about the history of how many NYC stadium/arena projects failed, and how long they take even when they succeed. I'm aware of how things work. But in my ignorance I imagined we were further along in summer 2018 than we were. Now the fullness of Chris's reporting shows there still was a long way to go and we've basically had 1 CB meeting since then and there still is no set location for GAL's relocation. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.
I envy you optimistic bastards.

The complications and different moving parts make this seem like NYCFC has to thread the proverbial needle to pull this off. They have to find a new location for GAL to move, get approval for taking over the garage, close 153rd street, and reroute the Deegan ramp. Even if one of these things falls through, the whole project would seem to be off.

I'm optimistic because of how old a lot of these things are. We've probably only progressed since the 2018 news and even older (right?) renderings, meaning we're over a year removed from the last few bits of concrete news. Much of the progress is behind the scenes with NDAs, which some of us know about, including necessary but not-so-sexy studies, etc. With how much attention cars, public transportation, accessibility have been getting in the last 5 years in the city, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that's one of the last major obstacles.

So from your reporting it seems like the team has settled on wanting this to be the location (as they probably wanted it years ago but that's beside the point), and now they're trying to make it happen. Is that fair?

Also, your article says we may be closer than most people realize. That's interesting. Any guesstimate you have on what a timetable might look like? Are the outstanding issues 6-month issues, 12-month issues, 2 year issues, etc? (Not holding you to anything, just wondering what a current estimate might look like).

Great reporting on this, man. It's the most consequential thing regarding this organization, and you are the only person doing any kind of real reporting on it. Pretty impressive for you to have this much information with what seems like virtually no leaks or help from the team. You're doing the really hard work here and most people on this forum have absolutely no idea how hard it is to grind on a story like this. Big props to you.
I totally think it’s fair to say that they’re zeroing in on this site. I don’t like to speak in absolutes and I don’t have anything that says the club isn’t looking in other places, but I also haven’t found anything that suggests they are. I hope to have more on this specific subject, at least with regards to one other potential site, in January.

I do think we are further along than most people realize. To me, it appears that the biggest remaining hurdle (outside the painful ULURP process, is finding a new home for GAL). This to me seems like a 6 month issue, more likely less.

BUT, that’s only to get to the point where things start moving publicly. A total timeline to stadium completion is obviously much longer and that is something that I really don’t know a whole lot about.

And I appreciate the kind words. From you and everyone else. I still think it’s fucking ridiculous that we are the ones putting this out there. This seems like such an easy home run for so many media outlets in this city, and yet we are the ones digging into this all, outside of our own demanding jobs.

That last part got a little rant-y, but I’m hungover in Milwaukee, so I don’t really care.

I don’t understand the problem with finding GAL a new home. The boroughs are filled with warehouses that can be bought or rented on long term leases. Obviously, as a manufacturing operation, the space GAL takes has to be fit-out appropriately for its machinery and needs, and that will take time so as to be a Turn-key project that they can move right in to and not delay their current supply chain deliverables.

All former and ongoing/filed projects in the city are in the DOB database. The filing documents have the owners name on it, or at least a representative. I’m not going to bother doing a search, but the FOIL folk may have another avenue to search (with no hit results before a project is filed) to see if things are progressing on the backside, because GAL will have to be relocated before the process gets really going.

All former and ongoing/filed projects in the city are in the DOB database. The filing documents have the owners name on it, or at least a representative. I’m not going to bother doing a search, but the FOIL folk may have another avenue to search (with no hit results before a project is filed) to see if things are progressing on the backside, because GAL will have to be relocated before the process gets really going.
Yup, been doing this as well since around May.

Community perspective

Also from a different article:

On the other hand, last month Dr. Cary Goodman, Executive Director of the 161st Street BID, recently suggested that one of the ways that the can Bronx get a stadium and also reap the benefits from the development is not through a community benefits agreement (CBA) as has been done in other development projects, but via a stock deal.