Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
For those who know more about the 10 acre scenario, does 10 acres cover the stadium only? It couldn't feasibly cover the stadium and offices and training right?

I doubt it. According to my spotty measurements via Google Maps and extremely poor math skills, Red Bull Arena alone is on about 15-18 acres of land. Ideally, to accompany parking and training facilities we would probably need at least 25 acres of space.

De Blasio needs to stop being a boner and just place the arena across from Yankee Stadium.

Edit: RBA is on 8-10 Acres... see, bad math.

Last edited:
I doubt it. According to my spotty measurements via Google Maps and extremely poor math skills, Red Bull Arena alone is on about 15-18 acres of land. Ideally, to accompany parking and training facilities we would probably need at least 25 acres of space.

De Blasio needs to stop being a boner and just place the arena across from Yankee Stadium.

I wouldn't expect much of a parking requirement to be part of the equation

Hopefully not. Just something to consider.
agreed. best case scenario right on the subway/metronorth line. Doubtful a permanent training ground would be in city limits either, so removing those 2 parts significantly reduces the footprint

Reactions: Kjbert
Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfella
I went to the Quakes stadium this weekend and they have 70 acres of land. This is for parking, retail/bars and training fields. Hell, two acres of that is dedicated to the outdoor bar haha. Crazy to think about if we are trying to squeeze something into 10 acres.

I went to the Quakes stadium this weekend and they have 70 acres of land. This is for parking, retail/bars and training fields. Hell, two acres of that is dedicated to the outdoor bar haha. Crazy to think about if we are trying to squeeze something into 10 acres.
Hold it. SJ Quakes new stadium is on 70 acres of land? Are you sure? There might 70 acres in that area being developed, but I doubt most of that is owned by the Quakes or do they have anything to do with what is going on there.
maxresdefault.jpg

So yes a stadium will take up around 10 acres, and depending on parking, you can get away with that in the largest city in America.

D
Hold it. SJ Quakes new stadium is on 70 acres of land? Are you sure? There might 70 acres in that area being developed, but I doubt most of that is owned by the Quakes or do they have anything to do with what is going on there.
maxresdefault.jpg

So yes a stadium will take up around 10 acres, and depending on parking, you can get away with that in the largest city in America.
Don't quote me, but the ticket rep made it seem like Quakes own all of the land to build fields, parking and retail.

I'm doubtful, but in any case, if NYCFC had 10 acres in the city, they could build a stadium. Unlike Quakes, they could get away with no/little parking and having the training fields off-site.
Oh for sure. The only problem with the Avaya site is that there is NOTHING around it as far as bars and places to eat. So they need to build it.

Except when teams threaten to leave. There is a net negative to Massachusetts had the Patriots moved to Hartford, CT. There is a net negative to the Sonics moving to Oklahoma City. What those studies have mistakenly overlooked is a correct baseline to use. Often times the conversation isn't no stadium or new stadium. It's no stadium... No team. The Rams are about to leave St. Louis for LA. Unless they get a new stadium.

I disagree. Just about every serious study has shown that sports teams shift entertainment spending, but do not create it. Combine that with huge tax incentives when stadiums are publicly financed and you have a net positive to let a team go or not get bent over to bring them in.

But ONLY if they municipality gets bent over, which so many of them have been willing to do in the past. The trend is going against that, which I think is a good thing.

Families don't buy season tickets, they don't buy $50 worth of beer per person, they don't buy nearly the merchandise as single folks and DINKs or just dudes getting away. And, they make for a crap atmosphere for everyone else.

They don't buy them now, but there's nobody around to buy them in 15 years if families don't show up. It's different this time around. When I was a kid we all played soccer and could only name 1 player -- Pele. Now, my son and his friends live and breathe the BPL, La Liga, the Bundesliga and to a lesser extent, Serie A and MLS. They are soccer players AND soccer fans, which has never happened before here. The future is bright and the kids need to be grabbed now.

Guys, I'm not against kids. I'm just saying that if you want real buy-in, families are not where you concentrate large amounts of money.

You build a good team and a fun environment with a unique, city-centric supporter culture, and people will be much more drawn in. I'm not talking out my ass here. There is plenty of evidence regarding how much of a struggle it was for MLS when they were really targeting that crowd. It was the cities/franchises that finally said "screw that", that basically saved the league.

It's not about excluding anyone. It's about embracing the fans that will be the heartbeat of your club and create its culture and persona. When you don't have a long history, culture has to come from somewhere. It's what binds people to the club. It just doesn't tend to come from families. No offense. I'll have kids soon myself. And I won't be offended that they don't give sky blue Dora dolls out.

I think your kids have aged out of the minivans and orange slices crowd. When people have young kids, their social plans often depend on carting those kids around to various functions. That makes coming to matches difficult. Like I said, have a family friendly section. But I don't think the way to reach the market that will make NYC become known as a great MLS city is via targeting families.

You are right about my kids aging out of that crowd- although I did love my minivan . they are now 14 and 18. they both want to know if they can go with their friends to the games by themselves- the 18 year old is a not a concern. Since my wife and I are both early proponents of free range parenting(I think I coined the term) I have no problem with them taking the train in walking 2 blocks on 125th and hopping a subway. thats how I did it when I was 14 and 125th did not house Bill Clintons post presidential offices when I was a kid.

You are right about my kids aging out of that crowd- although I did love my minivan . they are now 14 and 18. they both want to know if they can go with their friends to the games by themselves- the 18 year old is a not a concern. Since my wife and I are both early proponents of free range parenting(I think I coined the term) I have no problem with them taking the train in walking 2 blocks on 125th and hopping a subway. thats how I did it when I was 14 and 125th did not house Bill Clintons post presidential offices when I was a kid.
As a youth, you're doing it right. Free range is the way to go

Reactions: northernburbs
MLS REALLY should go for the 14-28 male demo. Show the rowdiness. Show the fun. Show the rivalry tension between teams.

SSS should not try to censor fans. Its part of the game, culture and life. I cant say Boston Sucks at red sox games because some woman is offended on behalf of her son(who knows more cursewords than her) words are words. Crowds are crowds. People are people. Profits are profits

I know that area pretty well, and would love for the stadium to go there, but I'm not sure there's a 10-acre contiguous space potentially available.
This is the area I was thinking of. Highlighted portion is 10 acres. Requires acquiring property but so will most locations. You're getting into 2 or 3 commercial parcels, from the satellite view. You could also backfill part of the creek which could reduce the need to acquire land.

As another option, if they can get cooperation from MTA (might require Amtrak as well), and can bear the additional building cost of going over the railyard, the previously mentioned Sunnyside yard idea is another good one. Remember building over a railyard was the original idea for the Jets West Side stadium as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-24-22-34-29.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-22-34-29.png
    862.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: northernburbs