Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
It seems that the legal wrangling on Barclays and the attached development goes back over a decade. I don't know how the developer would feel about abandoning the housing units, but I'm pretty sure it would be a political problem. It seems that the affordable housing and park space were an important part of getting buy-in for the Barclays Center in the first place.

If we could make it work though, the location would be great.

That "grey" space is roughly 4 acres. Others have posted in this thread that 10 acres would be a likely minimum for any proposed site.

The width would be the biggest problem. About 250' between Pacific and Dean streets. The Jersey team's SSS measures about 500' in width, so 250' wouldn't give you much room to work with. You'd have very little space for seating on either side of the field.

The two plots together are ~550 x 900 feet

It seems that the legal wrangling on Barclays and the attached development goes back over a decade. I don't know how the developer would feel about abandoning the housing units, but I'm pretty sure it would be a political problem. It seems that the affordable housing and park space were an important part of getting buy-in for the Barclays Center in the first place.

If we could make it work though, the location would be great.

Oh yeah its nightmare, i went to high school at Brooklyn Tech, ~5 blocks away and this discussion on this land was going on when I started in 2000. The mall just north of Barclays was the first of this redevelopment project, completed in 2004 - started in 2001. Its been going on since then...

Reactions: Statler
Oh yeah its nightmare, i went to high school at Brooklyn Tech, ~5 blocks away and this discussion on this land was going on when I started in 2000. The mall just north of Barclays was the first of this redevelopment project, completed in 2004 - started in 2001. Its been going on since then...
I hate that "mall" so much. I dread having to go there to get to the Target haha

Reactions: Statler
I think we may be getting somewhere here. Someone should call up NYCFC and let them know they should be looking on Google Maps for areas in the city that don't have buildings. Amazing that they haven't thought to do that.
Also, to find places where the transportation infrastructure already exists. In fact, building new roads/rails is a much more expensive (and unlikely) enterprise than razing buildings.

Reactions: typicalcity
I dont live near the city so i dont know what kind of potential problems there are, so that being said...

What about Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhatten? Plenty of space. Near the 1 and A train. Near Metro North. And near the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Reactions: Kjbert
I dont live near the city so i dont know what kind of potential problems there are, so that being said...

What about Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhatten? Plenty of space. Near the 1 and A train. Near Metro North. And near the Henry Hudson Parkway.

I've always assumed that parks were pretty much out of bounds.

But in that same area, I've wondered about the space across Broadway from Columbia's facility. The Marble Hill Metro North stop on the Hudson line is only a short walk away bridge so it is decent for commuter rail as well.

General question. How important is it to have good freeway/driving access? This seems like a sticking point to a lot of people, but what group of people are the team REALLY targeting? People living in the City, or people that live in the north/Long Island?

It's actually required in the Zoning Resolution that the stadium be located in close proximity to major arterial highways. According to the city at least, this is a requirement as to prevent large amounts of unwanted traffic congestion in local residential areas.

A great place I looked into could have been the large open waterfront lot in Mott Haven, Bronx adjacent to the Triboro (RFK) Bridge, but was recently swooped up by Fresh Direct. Drats!

Reactions: Kjbert and Statler
It's actually required in the Zoning Resolution that the stadium be located in close proximity to major arterial highways. According to the city at least, this is a requirement as to prevent large amounts of unwanted traffic congestion in local residential areas.

I wonder how they got around this for the Barclays Center. No real highway access at all without rolling through downtown Brooklyn, which would seem to be exactly the kind of local road congestion they want to avoid.

I also wonder how they define "close proximity".

I wonder how they got around this for the Barclays Center. No real highway access at all without rolling through downtown Brooklyn, which would seem to be exactly the kind of local road congestion they want to avoid.

I also wonder how they define "close proximity".
Hah! And that is the million dollar question! Well first, as many have already mentioned in this thread, the differences between the Bloomberg and de Blasio administrations have had a huge impact on this whole ordeal. Development was steam rolled under Bloomberg. And I'm sure the planners and developers at the time figured out a way to argue to city officials that either Atlantic Ave and Flatbush Ave are or will be arterial roads. In so many words, it's pretty much a circus act.

And they keep the term "close proximity" vague in in the Resolution for the very reason to be left open for interpretation