Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Changing gears, if we could get some of the land they are again, building more fing condos on in Brooklyn (seriously in my 30 years of living here it seems everything has turned into condos) it would be pretty damn ideal.

Atlantic%2BYards%3APacific%2BPark%2BMap%3ATimetable%2BAugust%2B2014.jpg

^ could definitely fit a stadium in that housing strip (right now its empty) and utilize all the infrastructure from the Barclays Center.
Are you talking about that grey bar between Pacific and Dean street? This would be to awesome. Ten minute walk from my apartment :)

Has there been any new news about the Broadway Junction development? I've never heard anything stadium specific, but I know it's a target for redevelopment and it's a pretty good location. A, C, J, Z, L, LIRR, and Jackie Robinson Freeway. Not the easiest to drive in to from the north, west, or south, but still accessible.
I was just thinking about this area today. Tons of mass transit accessibility, and one of the few places where the existing freeway structure is already sufficient. It could be ramped directly into a stadium parking lot with little work (just need to hop Bushwick ave). You have a good chunk of the property (railyards) owned by MTA, so if the political will is there, they could be enticed to play ball. Even acquiring property from others is going to be a good deal cheaper there than many other areas in NYC.

Drive from the North is not that bad...if you're OK with Flushing Meadows, it's another 15 minutes to get down the Jackie. If you want to train in from Westchester though, it gets rough. Grand Central to the 4 to the A or J or L. Probably 35-40 minutes on top of the trip into Grand Central. If you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan it's easy to get to.

Wait I have a question about our current "Stadium". If we aren't in the supporters "standing" section are we allowed to be standing in other sections?

Any of this area:

View attachment 1948

Thats how it sits today, the gray area is actually used.
This is my dream. I walked by there a few weeks ago on my way to Woodwork. Would be a pretty awesome/accessible location, but I'm sure it's a pipe dream.

General question. How important is it to have good freeway/driving access? This seems like a sticking point to a lot of people, but what group of people are the team REALLY targeting? People living in the City, or people that live in the north/Long Island?

Wait I have a question about our current "Stadium". If we aren't in the supporters "standing" section are we allowed to be standing in other sections?
i mean you're allowed to stand i just wouldn't stand the whole match, definitely get up stand up (bob marley) if theres a good play or a quick counter, or a goal but i wouldn't stand the whole time if you're not in the supporters section, will probably piss off the people behind you (unless you're in the last row of your section

So we have 15,000 STH and counting, I'm hoping the capacity of the stadium will be close to 30,000. Don't really understand why OC is going with 19,000

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I was just thinking about this area today. Tons of mass transit accessibility, and one of the few places where the existing freeway structure is already sufficient. It could be ramped directly into a stadium parking lot with little work (just need to hop Bushwick ave). You have a good chunk of the property (railyards) owned by MTA, so if the political will is there, they could be enticed to play ball. Even acquiring property from others is going to be a good deal cheaper there than many other areas in NYC.

Drive from the North is not that bad...if you're OK with Flushing Meadows, it's another 15 minutes to get down the Jackie. If you want to train in from Westchester though, it gets rough. Grand Central to the 4 to the A or J or L. Probably 35-40 minutes on top of the trip into Grand Central. If you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan it's easy to get to.

From both White Plains and Greenwich to Broadway Junction, it's 49 minutes by car but 1.5 hours by public transport. From Times Square it's 40 minutes by subway, either taking the A or something else and switching to the L/J/Z.

All around pretty reasonable.

EDIT: For comparison, time to the original proposed site in Queens is 40 minutes by subway from Times Square, and 40 minutes by car or 80 minutes by public transport from White Plains. Pretty similar despite being in Brooklyn instead of Queens.

So we have 15,000 STH and counting, I'm hoping the capacity of the stadium will be close to 30,000. Don't really understand why OC is going with 19,000

pretty sure the OCSC stadium can be expanded to 25,000 in the future, If things go as they are , id say it will be sooner rather than later.

Reactions: City-Nole
Parking is important because a lot of the fans don't necessarily live in the 5 boroughs. Our money is just as green and just as easy to part with, ask MSG how many train loads come in for Rangers games vs subway or cab. Brooklyn would be ideal but unless we can carve out a piece of a park, or work a deal with the Barclay's center (which should be easier than you think with CFG involved) maybe red hook? Or just puild it on pilings over the water. Hell they built a whole damn airport that way.

what group of people are the team REALLY targeting? People living in the City, or people that live in the north/Long Island?

Yes.

8 million in the boroughs, 20 million in greater NY metropolitan. Pretty sure the club would want to target as many as possible. This is especially true for stadium location, since there are locations that work for both (mass transit and automobiles).

If they end up needing to forfeit one or the other, though, I'd agree mass transit accessibility would probably come first.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Are you talking about that grey bar between Pacific and Dean street? This would be to awesome. Ten minute walk from my apartment :)
That "grey" space is roughly 4 acres. Others have posted in this thread that 10 acres would be a likely minimum for any proposed site.

The width would be the biggest problem. About 250' between Pacific and Dean streets. The Jersey team's SSS measures about 500' in width, so 250' wouldn't give you much room to work with. You'd have very little space for seating on either side of the field.

That "grey" space is roughly 4 acres. Others have posted in this thread that 10 acres would be a likely minimum for any proposed site.

The width would be the biggest problem. About 250' between Pacific and Dean streets. The Jersey team's SSS measures about 500' in width, so 250' wouldn't give you much room to work with. You'd have very little space for seating on either side of the field.
How much room is that plot at the end of the block? The parking lot and open train yard? About 8 acres?

The area I meant was the rectangle between Pacific/Dean/Carlton/Vanderbilt (the whole rectangle is about 5 acres, but according to the drawn proposal, the Western 20% or so is already taken up by building B15 in the Pacific Park plan).

I think you're referring to the same rectangle, plus the one on the other side of Pacific (Pacific/Atlantic/Carlton/Vanderbilt). Those two parts together would be about 10 acres. However, the diagram Vires posted of the Pacific Park Plan shows that the open railyard has already allotted to residential buildings, and part of the open lot as well.

The area I meant was the rectangle between Pacific/Dean/Carlton/Vanderbilt (the whole rectangle is about 5 acres, but according to the drawn proposal, the Western 20% or so is already taken up by building B15 in the Pacific Park plan).

I think you're referring to the same rectangle, plus the one on the other side of Pacific (Pacific/Atlantic/Carlton/Vanderbilt). Those two parts together would be about 10 acres. However, the diagram Vires posted of the Pacific Park Plan shows that the open railyard has already allotted to residential buildings, and part of the open lot as well.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if the Pacific Park Plan was just an initial idea, or a finalized design.

Just realized I was off by a block. The 'grey zone' in the chart is between 6th and Carlton, not Carlton and Vanderbilt.

Measurements should be the same either way.

They grey area are completed, current buildings. That is not the area im proposing. The two plots on the right side (train tracks and parking lot) could be combined for the stadium, giving it a footprint similar to the Barclays center.

Reactions: Statler
Vires, is that diagram a completed plan (e.g., a "done deal")? Or is that just someone's proposal?

That is Bruce Ratners proposal for the land, he is behind the project. Id say its closer to done deal then just a proposal, but he has modified it several times over the past 5 years and they have yet to break ground on any of the plots save the Barclays center of course.

Reactions: Statler