Steven Gerrard Officially Signs With Galaxy: Hot Off The Presses

JCizzle

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
LA Galaxy sign Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard as newest Designated Player

are the galaxy the only ones that pursued him? or did MLS decide where he would go?

Reactions: Kjbert
They talk a big game about allocation order and parity, but when a player of SG's caliber says he wants to go to LA, he goes to LA.
well thats the thing, why claim you have an allocation system and all if it wont even be used at all when the time comes. just scrap it.

well thats the thing, why claim you have an allocation system and all if it wont even be used at all when the time comes. just scrap it.

They do use it, for smaller names like Jermaine Jones. And we all know how well that worked out...
youth_soccer_envelope-r3faa78697b0e4250b1a4dbb18ee349e1_w20xx_8byvr_324.jpg

I thought MLS has been very straightforward about players that make more than X dollars get to pick where they land....?

#StevieGalaxy

We'll see, with LAFC, entering in another year how much they've got figured...

Guys, allocation order is for
1) returning MLS players; example Marco Pappa who signed w/ Seattle on his return.
2) USMNT players

There is no allocation for non-USMNT or non-MLS players, only the discovery system.

Apparently NYRB had a discovery claim on Gerrard last year but let it expire for 2015 and weren't interested anyways.

Discovery rules? What? How many rules are there ? It's like everyday I learn about a new rule in the mls.

Discovery rules? What? How many rules are there ? It's like everyday I learn about a new rule in the mls.
The league is 20 years old and many of these rules have been around 10 years or more.

In this case it's less about new rules then about people not understanding existing ones. Several comments in here have been about allocation order when in fact it's not relevant.

If this is your team now and you care, start trying to understand the rules.

Reactions: Kjbert and BxLio91
The league is 20 years old and many of these rules have been around 10 years or more.

In this case it's less about new rules then about people not understanding existing ones. Several comments in here have been about allocation order when in fact it's not relevant.

Well I did not follow the MLS prior to nycfc. So still learning rules, just feels like some of these rules are not needed or unnecessarily complicated

You're right. I forgot that allocation order only applies to NT players and returnees. Though I think in practice it only really applies to players who sign with the league with no preference for where they wind up, which at this point doesn't seem to apply to anyone with any name recognition. I think it's time for both allocation and discovery to get an overhaul, though I'm not really expecting them to touch those mechanisms with CBA negotiations going on--I think the focus is elsewhere right now.

I'm all for a good Kopite bashing, but he's talking about a loan during the off-season in response to a journalist's question. The exact quote is:
Stevie G said:
I've not even thought about the possibility of a loan,” he added. “I've not had that conversation with anyone. I can't rule it out, but I can't confirm it would happen either. The way the season works in the MLS there's a break around winter time. What I can say is that I'd love to be able to come back and train with the lads to keep my fitness levels up. Whether that could lead to playing for the club again I don't know. That wouldn't be my decision. You'd have to ask others that question.”
If the offseason loan happens, LA would be very dumb to let him extend it after what just happened with us and their own issues with Beckham in the past. Plus there's no shared ownership to worry about.

In the video up top he talks about wanting to give 110% to Galaxy, etc.

Well I did not follow the MLS prior to nycfc. So still learning rules, just feels like some of these rules are not needed or unnecessarily complicated
For what its worth I am not an expert either, but I am happy to answer questions if you have them.