The Whole Rb/galaxy/montreal/kljestan Episode Makes Me Like The Allocation Order....

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
This whole episode, even though it looks like the Jersey kids are going to come out on top, has been pretty entertaining to follow.

For those that don't know, LA Galaxy were angling to get USMNTer Sacha Kljestan by trading up the allocation order with the Colorado Rapids a couple weeks ago. LA sent a key midfielder of theirs, Marcelo Sarvas, and an international roster spot (an important asset in MLS) to Colorado for the #3 position in the allocation order.

Well it came out today that RB quietly worked to get the #1 spot via a trade with Montreal where RB sent midfielder Eric Alexander, defender Ambroise Oyongo, a 2015 international spot and an undisclosed amount of allocation money north of the border. In exchange, RB received the #1 allocation spot and a pretty good Brazilian midfielder, Felipe.

I find this system where you have to be more clever than just throwing the most money at it to be very satisfying. Its a game of risk and betting and it forces these interesting trades. If only there were a way to actually know the amount of allocation money each team has then we would really know who's the winner and who's the loser in all this.

Wouldn't it be just like them to use it on Tim Ream?!

I read today they have interest in Ream and Klejstan. What they might end up doing is flipping 1 for 3 with LAG, but getting a kings ransom for it. Not sure what LAG has to offer at this point. What about Dan Gargan or Robbie Rogers, cash and #3 for the right to get Klejstan? Then NYRB can get Tim Ream anyway.

Having the hapless NYRB outmaneuver Bruce Arena and LA is a great move. High comedy. I am enjoying it.

Death to the Galaxy Dynasty at all costs, even if it means the RB win in some way.

Having the hapless NYRB outmaneuver Bruce Arena and LA is a great move. High comedy. I am enjoying it.

Death to the Galaxy Dynasty at all costs, even if it means the RB win in some way.
That's sacrilegious.
I'm going to take a move from that other forum where anytime someone posts something another member disagrees with, they're accused of being a sworn enemy fan.

You're an energy drink!!!
tumblr_m1re9eoX0R1r9covro2_500.gif

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Sure RB is the arch rival but you'll never play them in a Cup final. Galaxy are the great and abominable.

The allocation order is still holding the league back more than anything. We've seen tons of players turn their back to MLS because they can't choose which city to play in.

I'd rather move to a luxury tax system. For every DP signed, the team must pay X% (say, 25%) of the contract in equal shares to all the other teams in the league. Let's say the DP threshold is also bumped to $500k. If a team buys a player for $1m, it will actually cost $1.25m, and they must pay every team in the league about $13,000.

Using 2014 data, last year over $500,000 would have been paid to each team (minus the cost of their own luxury tax). I don't have a handy resource for this offseason's signings, but I would imagine it would be closer to $1m in wealth re-distribution this year.

DP's should also sign with the team rather than the league. It should be as easy as possible for teams to bring in talent, especially when every other team benefits through the luxury tax.

I love the idea of a luxury tax.

Let LA Galaxy and NYCFC spend as much as they want. Let Colorado and RSL take that money and develop better Academies and become the MLS version of Southampton.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
The allocation order is still holding the league back more than anything. We've seen tons of players turn their back to MLS because they can't choose which city to play in.

I'd rather move to a luxury tax system. For every DP signed, the team must pay X% (say, 25%) of the contract in equal shares to all the other teams in the league. Let's say the DP threshold is also bumped to $500k. If a team buys a player for $1m, it will actually cost $1.25m, and they must pay every team in the league about $13,000.

Using 2014 data, last year over $500,000 would have been paid to each team (minus the cost of their own luxury tax). I don't have a handy resource for this offseason's signings, but I would imagine it would be closer to $1m in wealth re-distribution this year.

DP's should also sign with the team rather than the league. It should be as easy as possible for teams to bring in talent, especially when every other team benefits through the luxury tax.
1. Colorado won't win a fucking thing unless they get a new owner.
2. DP signing with the team is the best way we're going to sign players for the mothership.

Reactions: Kjbert
I love the idea of a luxury tax.

Let LA Galaxy and NYCFC spend as much as they want. Let Colorado and RSL take that money and develop better Academies and become the MLS version of Southampton.
When a team signs a 3rd DP, $120,000 fine is levied and paid equally to all other MLS teams. I believe thats the general concept in other sports. So MLS already has a luxury tax.

When a team signs a 3rd DP, $120,000 fine is levied and paid equally to all other MLS teams. I believe thats the general concept in other sports. So MLS already has a luxury tax.

Sure but were talking about something different. Something on a larger scale.

I find this system where you have to be more clever than just throwing the most money at it to be very satisfying. Its a game of risk and betting and it forces these interesting trades. If only there were a way to actually know the amount of allocation money each team has then we would really know who's the winner and who's the loser in all this.

I get what you're saying, and I'm sure it's largely my upbringing in a different culture speaking, but while I agree that the chess manoeuvres are interesting I just can't get on board with a system where players are told which team they are going to play for. I mean, I can accept it, but it doesn't feel right to me. It reminds me of Stalin's 5-year plans for the economy, where people where simply told what their job was going to be and every 5 years they decided which industries needed focusing on and swathes of workers were told "forget all that skilled work shaping iron that you've spent 5 years training to do, you're going to be making boots from now on. You start on Monday".

I know that the system helps to prevent players from going "I have no intention of moving to Nowheresville, it's NYC or LA or nothing", but if I was a USMNT player who had been tempted to return to the States, and then MLS told me "you'll play for the team at the top of the allocation order", I'd rip up my contract there and then and go back to somewhere where I could make these decisions.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I get what you're saying, and I'm sure it's largely my upbringing in a different culture speaking, but while I agree that the chess manoeuvres are interesting I just can't get on board with a system where players are told which team they are going to play for. I mean, I can accept it, but it doesn't feel right to me. It reminds me of Stalin's 5-year plans for the economy, where people where simply told what their job was going to be and every 5 years they decided which industries needed focusing on and swathes of workers were told "forget all that skilled work shaping iron that you've spent 5 years training to do, you're going to be making boots from now on. You start on Monday".

I know that the system helps to prevent players from going "I have no intention of moving to Nowheresville, it's NYC or LA or nothing", but if I was a USMNT player who had been tempted to return to the States, and then MLS told me "you'll play for the team at the top of the allocation order", I'd rip up my contract there and then and go back to somewhere where I could make these decisions.

Said not long ago that if was a professional in the EPL under such rules there is NO WAY IN HELL I would join Manchester United. In the MLS I'm not sure I would want to play for an energy drink promotion but overall there's not really the same hatred as in Europe. Which isn't essentially a negative thing to a certain extent. Unless I've missed something not a single one of the players in that superdraft has openly complained or refused to join the club they were "allocated."

Yeah, well, they'll give you millions of reasons not to rip up that contract and go live wherever.

If you are such a player to make demands and get your money then all power to you. But in America pro soccer just recently became a money making scheme. However when MLS started it wasn't. These controls brought pay down and maximized profits (which didn't exist). Until recently MLS owners were pouring millions every year hoping it would turn around. In the meantime their has slowly changed for the better. Now when McBride or Altidore return they can at least said "I'll only play for club x or y but not z". A trade is brokered. TFC trades Chicago for Wade Barrett, $ & draft pick, Fire get McBride. Montreal in 2015 tell MLS we can't afford Altidore but TOR can and Jozy agrees.

It's not that confusing all the time. Not so much like Stalin's USSR. And definitely improving with time.

Patience grasshoppers.

Reactions: Kjbert