Timeline

MrE

Registered
Jun 1, 2014
I know the MLS kicks off in March, so NYCFC begin competition then.

But they are not going to simply assemble a squad of XXX and turn up and play in March are they ?

The squad will train together first (Maybe until some signings have been made with other CFG teams) then they will most likely play a couple of behind closed doors friendlies, then a couple of friendlies (perhaps on foreign soil (especially as most leagues play in the MLS close season) before one or two Marquee friendlies at home to generate interest.

Does anyone have any idea of the timelines

My not so-perfect NYCFC timeline:

(Possible waiver draft; not sure they'll do this in an expansion year)
Late November
- MLS clubs release waiver list; waiver draft held (typically clubs in Cup final do not release anyone)

Early December
- MLS clubs release protected/unprotected lists.
- Expansion draft held. Orlando or NYC go first, they switch positions for SuperDraft.
- Usually expansion draft lasts 1 round; NYCFC can have 19 new players by end of the Expansion Draft

January 16, 2015
- MLS SuperDraft in Philly (NYCFC fans should attend).
- typically 4 rounds, without considering trading, NYCFC should get at least 4 new potential players

Late January 2015
- preseason camp/training begins
- preseason friendlies (most likely in Florida, South Carolina or Arizona).

Early March 2015
- season begins

I really think that as a new club you will get a marquee pre season friendly in mid - late Feb, someone who is guaranteed to sell out the stadium. Maybe a big European team that has exited the Champs league, maybe MCFC first team squad dependent on the run of games at that time (Europe, FA cup etc) Maybe a big South American club, but you will get something.

Anything is possible. However February could be bad weather/Yankees might not appreciate it.

They will certainly play foreign and domestic clubs in the preseason, just more likely where the weather is nicer.

Anything is possible. However February could be bad weather/Yankees might not appreciate it.

They will certainly play foreign and domestic clubs in the preseason, just more likely where the weather is nicer.

Its a winter game :)

I really think that as a new club you will get a marquee pre season friendly in mid - late Feb, someone who is guaranteed to sell out the stadium. Maybe a big European team that has exited the Champs league, maybe MCFC first team squad dependent on the run of games at that time (Europe, FA cup etc) Maybe a big South American club, but you will get something.

I can't imagine a European club flying out in the smack middle of its season when everyone's jostling for spots to America to play a friendly with a preseason-training new MLS team. Just can't see it. NYCFC can try for awesome friendlies in the summer, but not in February. If NYCFC plays a Euro team in a friendly, it'll be at the Etihad.

Maybe you are right, but I think The Sheikh will pull out all the stops to get you some kind of Marquee game in New York, to generate additional initial interest

definitely going to philly for the superdraft

I'm planning to also. Maybe we (Third Rail maybe?) can set up a trip down there since it is so close, so we can cheer on our team? I saw the Sons of Ben do it last year, looked really cool. Nice to see our newest players be handed an NYCFC scarf in person

I'm planning to also. Maybe we (Third Rail maybe?) can set up a trip down there since it is so close, so we can cheer on our team? I saw the Sons of Ben do it last year, looked really cool. Nice to see our newest players be handed an NYCFC scarf in person

Hi Guys,

Please, in very simple laymans terms, could you explain how a superdraft works

My (limited) understanding is that all players contracts belong to the MLS
The players are pooled and each team has a turn at picking a player. This player then becomes that teams for the season ?

This means that the players do not belong to the clubs, but the league, so what is the point of buying and selling players (So I must be wrong about the draft)

But if the players belong to the clubs, why the draft....

Sorry I need laymans terms as I cant get my head around exactly what it is and how it works...

Is there a FIFA date in January or February? That would be the only window where a Euro team would travel here.

And to be honest, MCFC really can't be flying here for a Friendly. I could see the reserve squad doing that though.

My guess is we play the Cosmos, a Mexican squad and have a Friendly against an Argentinian or Brazilian side. Possibly a game down in Orlando against those guys.

Hi Guys,

Please, in very simple laymans terms, could you explain how a superdraft works

My (limited) understanding is that all players contracts belong to the MLS
The players are pooled and each team has a turn at picking a player. This player then becomes that teams for the season ?

This means that the players do not belong to the clubs, but the league, so what is the point of buying and selling players (So I must be wrong about the draft)

But if the players belong to the clubs, why the draft....

Sorry I need laymans terms as I cant get my head around exactly what it is and how it works...

We have the MLS101 section (inside the MLS forum) for just this type of question. I wrote quite a lengthy post answering this exact question inside that forum.

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/drafts-101.410/

Publicity for us or them?
A "friendly" between any MLS team and LI only benefits them. No MLS team is going to see an increase in popularity because of a friendly with the Hempstead Cosmos. The result might feed Cosmos fans for a couple weeks but no one else is going to give a shit.

Publicity for us or them?
A "friendly" between any MLS team and LI only benefits them. No MLS team is going to see an increase in popularity because of a friendly with the Hempstead Cosmos. The result might feed Cosmos fans for a couple weeks but no one else is going to give a shit.

If it happened, would you go?

Yes, to watch my team play but then again I'd watch my team play against blind toddlers.
My issue is why should we help promote the Cosmos?

Yes, to watch my team play but then again I'd watch my team play against blind toddlers.
My issue is why should we help promote the Cosmos?

Well, they aren't direct competitors and I don't think playing a one off friendly with the Cosmos will make or break them. But they are a competitive team that plays in close proximity to us. And I'd be inclined to believe that it will draw the casual NYCFC fan or neutral fan to a friendly that they otherwise would have no interest in.

I'm one of the people who want to see the cosmos fold so I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire. Maybe others feel differently. Their fans don't deserve us doing them favors.
I guess there's a reason you oversee our involvement in charity and I don't

Reactions: Gene