USL

I’ve always been of the impression that the Mets were created by the vacuum left by the NY baseball Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving for California. Just look up the logo for the Giants and add Dodger blue and you have the Mets logo. So 3 teams then 1 team to finally 2 teams.
That’s correct. Both National League teams left, then a few years later the New York Metropolitans Baseball Club was formed. Used the Giants’ NY logo, and Giants’ orange and Dodger blue as the colors, coincidentally two of the colors of the New York Ciy flag

Reactions: JCMore and Shwafta
1876 Polo Grounds (NY Giants) opens. From then to ~1913 there was 1 major stadium and assorted short term homes for the Dodgers plus probably some glorified sandlots for other teams that came and went.
1913 Ebbets Field opens. Two BB stadiums.
1922 Yankee Stadium opens. Three stadiums.
1957 Giants and Dodgers both leave and Polo and Ebbets destroyed soon after. One stadium.
1964 Shea Opens. Two stadiums. Which is basically the status quo but switch Old YS for New YS, and Shea for Citi.

Reactions: Shwafta
If you think there's a plausible scenario by which soccer could have ended up with more than 1-2 metro area stadiums today if it had been popular in the 1800s then please explain why you believe it might have done so when baseball - which actually was big in the 1800s and was the most popular team spectator sport from the 1870s to 1960s - did not. Otherwise I don't understand your point.
If you agree with me that soccer would not have more than 2 stadiums in the metro area then we agree.
The Great Depression doesn't happen.

Soccer was very popular in the United States in the teens and twenties. Big companies sponsored local teams; there was lots of support, especially from immigrant communities; American teams pissed off FIFA by signing European players who were under contract and bringing them to the states; there were good crowds and the foundation for it to become a major sport. It wasn't baseball, but it was certainly ahead of basketball and probably professional football.

The depression killed it in the 1930s, as the companies couldn't afford to sponsor the teams anymore. As a result the game never gained the widespread popularity that baseball had and that football and basketball developed.

It wasn't a fluke that we played well in the 1930 World Cup and made it in 1934.

We did get 2 new arenas in the last decade in NYC. Nets & Islanders. The last 30 years has been a revolution in stadium building and even seen classics in the UK turnover (white hart lane 😢). If it was going to happen (soccer stadiums in the city) it was going to happen in the last 30 years. NJRB missed that boat. NYCFC caught it. Looks like BK is now looking to jump on board.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Lol another baseball stadium

Tbf usl is filled with baseball stadiums for their teams.

I do wonder what the long term plan is in terms of location, I feel like there is less space in Brooklyn than in queens for a stadium even if it’s a smaller one.

Reactions: mgarbowski