USMNT Talk

Watched a good bit of the game. Sands had a great game from what I saw. Lots of big diagonal and progressive passing. Clearly, he still has this part of his game. I've been missing it. Wonder why he's not doing this more with us?

Watched a good bit of the game. Sands had a great game from what I saw. Lots of big diagonal and progressive passing. Clearly, he still has this part of his game. I've been missing it. Wonder why he's not doing this more with us?

I only watched the first half and I agree Sands looked great. I think he was making those passes because the space was there for them. The Full-size field and both teams playing a spread-out attacking style game allowed for the space Sands needs to play those balls.

The smaller field when we play at home combined with so many MLS teams playing a clog up the middle and try to get a goal on the counter style just doesn't give Sands as many opportunities for the long diagonal-style passes when he's playing for NYCFC.

Funny you mentioned that because I’ve noticed him do it pretty frequently in our games and thought at was a great asset on our team

Funny you mentioned that because I’ve noticed him do it pretty frequently in our games and thought at was a great asset on our team

really? I feel like he doesn't do it as much as he used to. Martins does it more. Guess I need to pay more attention...

Reactions: JCMore
1682003328872.png

It seems to me that we haven't switched play as much this season - and maybe last. Not sure if that's tactical or because of the skill set of our fullbacks or something else.

And thanks to Kellyn Acosta, Johnson's team-record 814' shutout streak ends. It had been 12 years since he gave up a goal in his first ever cap.
And thanks to Kellyn Acosta, the USMNT's perfect record when James Sands plays is now ruined (now is 7 wins and 1 draw in 8 games) and Mexico was finally able to score a goal against James Sands (1 goal allowed in 210 minutes now).

Ruined some good tweets I had planned for last night.

And thanks to Kellyn Acosta, the USMNT's perfect record when James Sands plays is now ruined (now is 7 wins and 1 draw in 8 games) and Mexico was finally able to score a goal against James Sands (1 goal allowed in 210 minutes now).

Ruined some good tweets I had planned for last night.
Tweet them out and tag Kellyn. He knows what he did!

This game is also a reminder about how ridiculous most of the USMNT twitter accounts are.

Dest gets all the credit for the goal (he definitely deserves credit, I'm not disputing that), but Morris and Ferreira get no credit.

Long is mostly getting the blame for the Mexico goal (he deserves some, but not really sure he could've done all that much better), but overall, Acosta isn't getting too much blame. (I think this has to do with mostly everyone hating Long)

(I think this has to do with mostly everyone hating Long)
Not a comment on the rest of your message, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I spent like 50% of the game just yelling "f u sean love you sean f u sean love u sean" at the screen, along with "f u long, pls do well" etc.

International games are so hilarious to me

I’m pretty shocked AC Milan released Dest for this game considering they played a quarter final matchup in the Champions League and are chasing a Champions League spot in Serie A. He must have really fallen out of favor there unless I’m missing something

This game is also a reminder about how ridiculous most of the USMNT twitter accounts are.

Dest gets all the credit for the goal (he definitely deserves credit, I'm not disputing that), but Morris and Ferreira get no credit.

Long is mostly getting the blame for the Mexico goal (he deserves some, but not really sure he could've done all that much better), but overall, Acosta isn't getting too much blame. (I think this has to do with mostly everyone hating Long)
I thought Sonora's line-busting and direction-switching pass was both more impressive and important than Dest's run.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
I’m pretty shocked AC Milan released Dest for this game considering they played a quarter final matchup in the Champions League and are chasing a Champions League spot in Serie A. He must have really fallen out of favor there unless I’m missing something
He has. Also, there is a chance the loan has performance and minutes-played clauses that affect the final cost, so AC Milan has a financial interest in not playing him much once they've determined he is not a good fit for whatever reason. I don't know it, it's just pure speculation. At an elite level Dest is still an offensive threat, but not much of a defender IMHO. His career looks stalled.

Reactions: twsj91
He has. Also, there is a chance the loan has performance and minutes-played clauses that affect the final cost, so AC Milan has a financial interest in not playing him much once they've determined he is not a good fit for whatever reason. I don't know it, it's just pure speculation. At an elite level Dest is still an offensive threat, but not much of a defender IMHO. His career looks stalled.
Not playing him for financial reasons makes sense because I don’t think he’d have fallen so far off they wouldn’t even want him in the squad for depth. For him to be completely dropped is more of a nose dive in his career then a stalling to me.