USMNT Talk

Based on the Atlantic article, I like hire a lot. He’s had the same position at an EPL club and basically ran the youth teams for England, including contributing to their plan around style of play.

Fulham vs Leeds this weekend featured 4 USMNT players (Ream, Robinson, Aaronson, McKennie). Anyone know how many is the most USMNT players to play in a single European match?

I feel like it’s 5, but that included a goalkeeper or two. Should be easy to look up.

Keller, Bocanegra, Dempsey, McBride, and Eddie Johnson all were getting minutes together at Fulham like 15 years ago. They must have gone up against one or two of Howard/Hahnemann/Convey/Holden/Demerit/Guzan/Reyna/Eddie Lewis/Gooch/Spector who were all in the EPL around that time.

Plus there were always rando Americans who were less closely followed like Zak Whitbread and Eric Lichaj during that FulhAmerica era who probably tipped the scales to 6, 7, or 8 in some game -- I just can't remember if any of the non-Fulham players were on the same squad.

With Onyewu's new position at USSoccer, I went back and looked at the thread when he was training with us in 2015.

There was a classic line in that thread -- something along the lines of "Right now, with Hernandez and Wingert, our d line has more issues than John Bobbitt's". I laughed, so I figured I'd share.

Last edited:
Parks, Sands, and Ledezma all on the preliminary gold cup roster. any of them getting called up and they will miss games. if all 3 get called up... we are pretty fucked in midfield.

Parks, Sands, and Ledezma all on the preliminary gold cup roster. any of them getting called up and they will miss games. if all 3 get called up... we are pretty fucked in midfield.
First US game takes place 6/24. Final is July 16.
NYCFC plays 6 games from 6/21 to 7/15 (just 3.5 weeks) because of the stupid League Marketing Bullshit tournament something or other. If they are allowed to play on 6/21 we still have 5 games from 6/24 to 7/15.
Ted Lasso Fudge GIF by Apple TV

Then there's a month five weeks off for the League Bullshit Marketing tournament thingy. The tournaments should coincide instead of sacrificing league season games. But CONCACAF probably would frown on that.

ETA: NYCFC has 3 or maybe 4 games to get some points before potentially playing 5-6 games with a crippled midfield and maybe still no striker.

• Sad
Reactions: moogoo
First US game takes place 6/24. Final is July 16.
NYCFC plays 6 games from 6/21 to 7/15 (just 3.5 weeks) because of the stupid League Marketing Bullshit tournament something or other. If they are allowed to play on 6/21 we still have 5 games from 6/24 to 7/15.
Ted Lasso Fudge GIF by Apple TV

Then there's a month five weeks off for the League Bullshit Marketing tournament thingy. The tournaments should coincide instead of sacrificing league season games. But CONCACAF probably would frown on that.

ETA: NYCFC has 3 or maybe 4 games to get some points before potentially playing 5-6 games with a crippled midfield and maybe still no striker.
Welp, we're not making the playoffs. There goes that streak.

Reactions: canchon
Welp, we're not making the playoffs. There goes that streak.
With our luck Sands will get called up and not play a single game.

How nice that we get ridiculous schedule congestion just when there also is an int’l tournament going on.

With our luck Sands will get called up and not play a single game.

How nice that we get ridiculous schedule congestion just when there also is an int’l tournament going on.

it sucks, but considering our stadium situation, it's hard to get really upset. scheduling is a nightmare. what we should have is competent depth who can step in and allow us to play little to no drop off in quality. in this case, we should have morales if he stays healthy. but if we lose sands, parks, and ledezma... it's gonna be tough for our midfield.

it sucks, but considering our stadium situation, it's hard to get really upset. scheduling is a nightmare. what we should have is competent depth who can step in and allow us to play little to no drop off in quality. in this case, we should have morales if he stays healthy. but if we lose sands, parks, and ledezma... it's gonna be tough for our midfield.
It's league wide. Most teams have 6 games around the tournament just like we do, and a few have 5.

ETA: If you're going to take off 5 weeks for a different tournament, you have to make those games up somewhere. Not sure why they chose during Gold Cup, except they probably didn't want to leave it too late, or start early in cold weather.

Reactions: moogoo
Old boys club alive and well.

Sadly this is the only explanation as to why Kreis continues to get these types of opportunities. His only success was at RSL in the unique situation where he went from being a club legend and captain to coach and brought with him all the respect he had earned as a player. In every other situation when he has stepped into a role with a team where he did not have that history his record as a coach has been terrible.

Reactions: JCMore
Sadly this is the only explanation as to why Kreis continues to get these types of opportunities. His only success was at RSL in the unique situation where he went from being a club legend and captain to coach and brought with him all the respect he had earned as a player. In every other situation when he has stepped into a role with a team where he did not have that history his record as a coach has been terrible.
Totally agree. Falling upward

kinda crazy to hear that there are people on the senior squad who want berhalter to be considered for the coaching job again. pulisic among them.

nothing against berhalter, but i think we can do better. but of course... US Soccer is still stupid AF

Vieira interest in the USMNT job, but it sounds like talks are not really serious on the federation side.

Also, Berhalter to Club America seems to be a real possibility.

Reactions: FootyLovin