USMNT Talk

I’m not sure I have a strong opinion on this anymore. It’s all so convoluted and ugly I want to move on too. But I have a few thoughts:

I can reasonably assume that even if GGG never had the talk with Gio, if he didn’t start game 1 and came on late his parents would still have thrown a fit. So GGG was in a no win situation. I can’t blame the son for the sins of the father (& mother), and he’s young and should have a chance to learn and grow. I still don’t like GGG as the USMNT coach from a technical standpoint, but I feel bad for him (but that’s why he gets an outlandish salary, so not so bad). I also don’t think GGG coming back is good for the NT just because they need to clean house and move on fresh from this circus (aside from Gio on a short leash). Can’t wait for 2026, looking forward not back.

Thierry or Patrick up to the task? Hopefully Danielle Reyna and Cheryl Vieira weren’t friends while they were in New York.
on a serious note I’m 100% no for PV. He’s the same as GGG when it comes to being too stuck in his system, as opposed to adjusting to the talent he has. And he was terrible when it came to mid-game adjustments and subs. I really don’t know how Henry manages, but I really would prefer someone with more experience and a history of success.

Reactions: LionNYC and Shwafta
You heard it here first, and now from Matt Doyle. Good thread overall. He also points out the adjustments GB made.

Also, as noted in a discussion elsewhere, Berhalter made less than $1.5M in 2022. The names people are throwing around will cost 3-4x that amount at least.

• Haha
Reactions: adam and moogoo
Is he good?
USMNT fanatics are following this one like Ohio State and Alabama recruiting the #1 high school QB.

Balogun is 21, comes out of the Arsenal academy, and is currently 3rd in goals in Ligue 1. He’s a pure striker. For a time he was leading Ligue 1 in goals, ahead of Mbappe and Messi, among others.

He was born in NYC and raised in the UK. He is eligible for the USA, England and Nigeria. He’s mostly played for England’s youth teams but did accept a call up to the USA U-18 team for an unofficial tournament.

What is England's pool looking like? Is this a guy who simply chose (presumably) the nation that has his heart, or is he calculating that he will struggle to maintain a spot on England but can likely be a US legend?

What is England's pool looking like? Is this a guy who simply chose (presumably) the nation that has his heart, or is he calculating that he will struggle to maintain a spot on England but can likely be a US legend?
Have to assume the near future at least still belongs to Kane. At least 1 WC cycle playing backup? Vs immediately being the #1 option. Have to think that’s it. Also, I’d assume the endorsement dollars as the #1 US striker are more appealing than any bump he would get as second fiddle to Kane in England.

Reactions: 413Blue

I always forget Kane is only 29 so as FootyLovin FootyLovin said that's at least one more WC cycle for him. After Kane England is pretty stacked with young attackers, most of them are traditionally wingers but given the level of talent, I think most managers play one of them in the middle in the event that Kane is unavailable.
  • Phil Foden (22)
  • Jack Grealish (27)
  • James Maddison (26)
  • Marcus Rashford (25)
  • Bukayo Saka (21)
  • Raheem Sterling (28)
  • Tammy Abraham (25)
If Balogun's goal is playing time he's for sure better off competing with Richardo Pepi and Josh Sargent than the players in the list above.

Vartughian one of the US coaches tonight?!?

it's hard to get excited about playing Granada. looking somewhat decent though, but looked like we got overconfident in that goal we gave up.