USMNT Talk

On r/ussoccer on a thread regarding the next USMNT coach as Arena is a caretaker to get us to Russia and not the man to coach us in Russia, the most upvoted coach was the ex-Dortmund manager.
I'm a fan of Tuchel, but honestly I don't think he'd quite know what to do with a team of our skill level (Pulisic excepted).

We should be looking at one manager for the future and his name is David Wagner.
If anyone has watched Huddersfield so far this season I would love to see his style of play translated to the INTL level.

We should be looking at one manager for the future and his name is David Wagner.
If anyone has watched Huddersfield so far this season I would love to see his style of play translated to the INTL level.
He's a future MNT manager, but it'd be career suicide to leave the EPL at this point. He's the first American to earn promotion to it, and he should stay as long as he can to show it wasn't a fluke and he can go head-2-head with the established managers (even on a shoestring budget). I would expect him to take the reins for the 2026 cup's qualification period.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
He's a future MNT manager, but it'd be career suicide to leave the EPL at this point. He's the first American to earn promotion to it, and he should stay as long as he can to show it wasn't a fluke and he can go head-2-head with the established managers (even on a shoestring budget). I would expect him to take the reins for the 2026 cup's qualification period.

"American"

The Euros don't regard him as such, hence his success. Surely if he was failing, the only emphasis would be that he is American.

"American"

The Euros don't regard him as such, hence his success. Surely if he was failing, the only emphasis would be that he is American.
Well, he has been capped for the USMNT so he has that distinction.

It's not as if he has a Sterling managerial resume to fall back on if he was to leave the EPL and not do well with the USMNT - he'd be the same as any other lower league euro manager. He needs to strike while the fire is hot and stay as long as possible, only then can he take a sabbatical to coach a national team.

We get a point in the end after a great free kick by Acosta, a great save by the Honduran keeper, and a put in by Wood.

The conditions were terrible, the refereeing was peak CONCACAF, and we looked terrible out there.

According to Paul Carr from ESPN, a great person to follow on Twitter, we can only clinch a spot for the World Cup on the last day of the Hex in T&T. The last time that happened was during the 1990 cycle where the las day of the Hex was in T&T.

According to Paul Carr from ESPN, a great person to follow on Twitter, we can only clinch a spot for the World Cup on the last day of the Hex in T&T. The last time that happened was during the 1990 cycle where the las day of the Hex was in T&T.
Yes but.
If we beat Panama at home and Honduras loses in CRC, then we go into the last game up 3 points and a minimum 10 GD lead. So we cannot clinch officially but for all reasonable possibilities, we would have clinched.

ETA: This is wrong because I totally ignored that Panama had a game later that same day and ended up ahead of both USA and Honduras.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Yes but.
If we beat Panama at home and Honduras loses in CRC, then we go into the last game up 3 points and a minimum 10 GD lead. So we cannot clinch officially but for all reasonable possibilities, we would have clinched.

I'm not dealing with hypotheticals with this team. US is playing so shit, I don't think anything will go our way.

And it's going to be three crap games in Russia and then out.

Did not look good at all, but I'll take a point.

The refereeing was not good, and I will really only bring out on note on that.

Second half stoppage time, 4th official notes there will be a minimum of 3' of added time. As the clock is turning into 92:01, foul on Honduras, second yellow issued, red eventually issued, Figueroa finally leaves the field, play officially resumes at 93:30ish with a US free kick and the game is immediately called.

Now I'm not saying that we would have stolen a win with some additional time, but seriously, WTF?

Reactions: adam
I'm not dealing with hypotheticals with this team. US is playing so shit, I don't think anything will go our way.

And it's going to be three crap games in Russia and then out.
Thats a long ways away. Lets put it this way, Mexico barely scraped in last cycle. Were bailed out into 4th place because we beat Panama at the death. Then they had the year where their playoff was against the OFC team, so home and away against New Zealand which isn't too difficult. I was in Mexico City during this time for work and had locals telling me they didn't want their team to beat New Zealand as they would embarrass themselves.

Fast forward to the WC, they get through their group stage and are a Robben flop away from advancing to the Quarter Finals. A year can make a difference.

We looked terrible today, absolutely awful. But lets get in and see what happens.

If Bruce arena is in charge at the World Cup, you can expect a similar outcome to 2006.

And the USA you won't get any help from Concacaf referees south of the border......