USMNT Talk

I thought Sands had a good game. It will be interesting to see how the lineups change going forward. BJC has said that he is going to rotate in the group stage, and it's likely that's both for rest and to find the right combinations among so many new players.
I thought the only starters that really had good games were Sands, Turner, and Ferreira

Reactions: canchon
I thought Sands had a good game. It will be interesting to see how the lineups change going forward. BJC has said that he is going to rotate in the group stage, and it's likely that's both for rest and to find the right combinations among so many new players.
Yes and the other two group games should be easier matches.

Game was half boring half intense... until towards the end, and then it just got nail-bitingly intense!
Matt Turner once again the hero. I know this is a mostly B-team USA, but damn that was not a great performance against a Canada team that frankly hasn't been good lately.

Very fun game! On to Panama!

Game was half boring half intense... until towards the end, and then it just got nail-bitingly intense!
Matt Turner once again the hero. I know this is a mostly B-team USA, but damn that was not a great performance against a Canada team that frankly hasn't been good lately.

Very fun game! On to Panama!
Past my bedtime, wow. Two of the most absurd and lucky equalizers, one for each side, both after 90 minutes gone by, to take a game from 0-0 through 87 minutes to 2-2. Then Canada displaying that it is not 2021 NYCFC taking penalty kicks.

Past my bedtime, wow. Two of the most absurd and lucky equalizers, one for each side, both after 90 minutes gone by, to take a game from 0-0 through 87 minutes to 2-2. Then Canada displaying that it is not 2021 NYCFC taking penalty kicks.
Yep, for all the justifiable praise today for Matt Turner as a PK stopper, on that night in November 2021, he was a distant second to the man who is currently his backup.

Reactions: Shwafta
For most of the game it seemed like Canada was trying to get its entire team carded and unavailable for the semis if they were to make it. Rough physical game to watch and a supremely lucky penalty for Canada after the USMNT scored what should have been the winner.

This was then followed up by a shockingly bad go ahead goal by Canada followed by another supremely lucky equalizer for the USMNT before penalties.

Somebody tie MRob’s hands behind his back, chicken wings almost cost the USMNT twice.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Outfield Players on the Gold Cup Roster
Who were also on the World Cup Roster
with games and minutes.

Yedlin - 2, 33
Long - 0, 0
Roldan - 0, 0
Ferreira - 1, 45
Morris - 2, 4

TOTAL - 5 players, 5 games, 82 minutes
C team

Our national team is nowhere near as good as they think they are.
This group of players is not nearly as good as they think they are - but that is not our national team in any important competitive game.

This gold cup team was brutal. Other than Turner and Robinson the only other player is probably Ferreira who is the third or fourth choice striker.

Reactions: Gene
It’s sad , this tournament used to mean something . I’m still not totally clear why we’ve decided nations league is more important ?

It’s sad , this tournament used to mean something . I’m still not totally clear why we’ve decided nations league is more important ?
It’s about the break and training for their European season. We don’t want to take say Pulisic away from Milan etc.

Reactions: adam
It’s about the break and training for their European season. We don’t want to take say Pulisic away from Milan etc.
Yeah. It's dumb that both tournaments exist, and I think generally the Gold Cup means more, but the scheduling this year dictated the roster choices. Nations was 2 games over less than a week during an official window. Gold Cup was up to 6 games over 3 weeks during the offseason for players on European Clubs.
Meanwhile, it was during the actual season for MLS and MLS chose to both make its players available and to schedule the most crowded portion of the MLS regular season simultaneous with the tournament.

Reactions: adam
Outside of James Sands, who made a good claim to back-up Tyler Adams as the USMNT No. 6, it is difficult to point to performers who clearly pushed into the ‘A’ team depth chart coming out of this tournament.

That’s from the Athletic article this morning.

Looks like musah joining Pullisic at Milan . Also buzz that Forest are interested in Turner . If he’d start I’d much rather him in Nottingham than staying at arsenal .
Dammit! The pressure is mounting to get Paramount+.