What Would Be Considered A Successful 1st Season For You?

What would be considered a successful 1st season for NYC?

• Winning MLS Cup

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Winning the Conference Finals

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Winning a Playoff Round

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Making the Playoffs

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Win the Supporters Shield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be in the Playoff Race / Competitive at the end of the season

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Competitive in the Open Cup

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Scoring lots of goals / entertaining team - Not much winning though

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

deedsy

Registered
Jun 3, 2014
How successful does NYC need to be in their debut season for you to be satisfied?

Want to see how high expectations are around here.

I would be happy with just qualifying for the playoffs. The Eastern Conference is pretty weak right now, and with Houston and probably SKC being moved to the West at some point I'd imagine it will get even weaker in the future. So our conference is definitely there for the taking, and anything below fifth place would be kind of disappointing.

But I think it's unfair to expect Kreis to win anything right away.

Hah, I'm the only one to say winning the MLS cup so far :D.
Seriously though, aim for the stars.

For me, a successful season would be for the club to have created a harmonous dressing room with an established pattern of play. I would also hope for consistently (highish) attendances and a strong intergration into the community. In terms of success on the pitch, qualifying for the playoffs would be a great achievement, especially as I think it will take a few games at the beginning of the season for the team to gel. Of course, as we don't know which players we will have, expecations will be adjusted accordingly.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...=zinjvwLRDzxfJY1tm6lBfQ&bvm=bv.68445247,d.bGQ

Yes I'd also like to see above 27,000 attendance average with a couple full stadium sellouts for marquee games. That would put us 2nd in the league only behind the Sounders (we actually would only need 23k average to be 2nd in the league in front of Toronto)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Yes I'd also like to see above 27,000 attendance average with a couple full stadium sellouts for marquee games. That would put us 2nd in the league only behind the Sounders

I think that surely the YS will be sold out ( 50k ) in the first game and in the games with LA Galaxy, Sounders and NJ Red Bulls, of course.

I think that surely the YS will be sold out ( 50k ) in the first game and in the games with LA Galaxy, Sounders and NJ Red Bulls, of course.
I remember Montreal sold out 60,000 seat Olympic Stadium for their debut, so it's definitely possible. Wonder how important a result would be for first impressions

upload_2014-6-8_16-50-2.png

Regardless of the record, I think for season one to be a success, it needs to be shown there is a demand for this club in the city, that will be shown be high attendance numbers. I do think winning at least one playoff round will be an astonishing success and anything after is gravy, however once in there, I would want them to win the whole damn thing...because those Cosmos fans will be the first to say "Cosmos won in the league their first year back, and only played half a season" and nobody wants to hear that noise. lol

What I wanted to vote for was not listed....Undefeated Season! making them as immortal as the '72 Dolphins. LOL

Regardless of the record, I think for season one to be a success, it needs to be shown there is a demand for this club in the city, that will be shown be high attendance numbers. I do think winning at least one playoff round will be an astonishing success and anything after is gravy, however once in there, I would want them to win the whole damn thing...because those Cosmos fans will be the first to say "Cosmos won in the league their first year back, and only played half a season" and nobody wants to hear that noise. lol

What I wanted to vote for was not listed....Undefeated Season! making them as immortal as the '72 Dolphins. LOL
1) No one gives a shit about the f.cosmos, their fans, accomplishments, history or Pelé.
2) Soccer Bowl? LOL. What is amateur league for 500?

Reactions: Buckley
Yes I'd also like to see above 27,000 attendance average with a couple full stadium sellouts for marquee games. That would put us 2nd in the league only behind the Sounders (we actually would only need 23k average to be 2nd in the league in front of Toronto)

Serious Question from England... I probably could surmise the answer elsewhere if I look hard enough but Which games do you count as "Marquee Games"

Serious Question from England... I probably could surmise the answer elsewhere if I look hard enough but Which games do you count as "Marquee Games"
Seattle, NYRB, Galaxy
Likely rivals:
Revolution, Philly, DCU

Reactions: deedsy
Id. E content with making it to the playoffs and finishing above NYRB :)
Of course a Title would be amazing.

Beating NYRB in derby matches and making playoffs.

Also not losing to Cosmos in US Open cup match. :)

NYCFC gonna beat out Orlando in the ECF and win the Cup.
Oh yeah I want to add that too. Can't lose to expansion brothers. Beat NYRB, beat Orlando and make the playoffs. That equals success. Now selling out the stadium would be incredible too.

The east is such a crapshoot that I put making the playoffs as the goal. Especially since it sounds like Kaka to Orlando is falling through from what I've heard, I think there's a solid chance that with kreis and villa they can make the playoffs. I don't think beating SKC is likely, much less whatever monster comes out of the West but once you're in you never know