What Would Be Considered A Successful 1st Season For You?

What would be considered a successful 1st season for NYC?

• Winning MLS Cup

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Winning the Conference Finals

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Winning a Playoff Round

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Making the Playoffs

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Win the Supporters Shield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be in the Playoff Race / Competitive at the end of the season

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Competitive in the Open Cup

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Scoring lots of goals / entertaining team - Not much winning though

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Whatever the club considers successful should be seen as successful. Everyone including outside doubters knows now that (injuries aside) the club is very likely to have one of the leagues top scorers. One aim should be to try and win the US Open Cup for that quick route into the Champions League. In later seasons that may not be seen as such a priority but in the initial seasons it should be unless qualification is achieved right away.

Kreis took over RSL in 2007 and won the MLS Cup by 2009. Apparently with a high turnover of players as well. Perhaps he is looking at a similar timeframe or even faster considering other advantages.

Whatever the club considers successful should be seen as successful. Everyone including outside doubters knows now that (injuries aside) the club is very likely to have one of the leagues top scorers. One aim should be to try and win the US Open Cup for that quick route into the Champions League. In later seasons that may not be seen as such a priority but in the initial seasons it should be unless qualification is achieved right away.

Kreis took over RSL in 2007 and won the MLS Cup by 2009. Apparently with a high turnover of players as well. Perhaps he is looking at a similar timeframe or even faster considering other advantages.
He took the 25+ odd man roster and shed 75% of it on the way to build a solid veteran core that transformed the team. Thats what he will do with NYCFC.

Being in the playoffs would be great. Making sure to beat New England and the Red Bulls does it for me.

Seriously? I'm the only one who views Open Cup success as the most important?? Idk. I have this huge fascination with my favorite MLS team winning the Champions league. Actually I care about that more than MLS Cup. I mean, sure it would be awesome to win the league our first season, but what about being the first MLS team to win the CONCACAF champions league and go to the club world cup????

It speaks volumes for how the CONCACAF CL is perceived when teams won't even put out full strength side in one of the "easier" qualification routes. The best thing that could possibly happen to that competition is combining it with CONMEBOL. That apparently has been discussed so its not too far fetched. Not sure how most fans will treat it (compared to MLS) but playing Club America in the Azteca would probably be a bigger deal than virtually anything else. Not sure a MLS side has actually played there yet.

Has anyone actually asked the club whether the US Open Cup will be a major priority at least in initial seasons? If that's the first trophy the club wins it will be a big deal.