Wilmington Hammerheads Will Not Play in 2017

Rough Riders... I love the name.

Screen-Shot-2015-02-03-at-19.45.11--590x575.png

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
we didnt use them this year at all...i though guys like gomes ( before injury) and martinez would go .....guess well see what happens next year......is rochester still with new england in terms of an affiliate agreement?

As far as I know Rochester is still affiliated with New England.

i liked them considering the distance...maybe we can persuade them. if not i dont know what USL will look like next year....US soccer goes thru changes in every division every year.

I do like pro/rel but I'm certain that will never happen here, especially when they are quoting new MLS franchise fees at $200m. No owner would take a risk of a new investment with the possibility of being relegated.
Perhaps over time it will get sorted out to mimic the MLB model of some sort where we can have 1 or 2 additional divisions with all teams being affiliated with an MLS club. NASL will have to realize that they can't be a competitor to MLS and join the fold.

I do like pro/rel but I'm certain that will never happen here, especially when they are quoting new MLS franchise fees at $200m. No owner would take a risk of a new investment with the possibility of being relegated.
Perhaps over time it will get sorted out to mimic the MLB model of some sort where we can have 1 or 2 additional divisions with all teams being affiliated with an MLS club. NASL will have to realize that they can't be a competitor to MLS and join the fold.

There's some rumors going around that a handful of NASL teams have already been talking to the USL about joining. General mood in the NASL forums is extremely negative to the point that people are using past tense already to talk about their own league.

I think Tampa, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Indy will all join the USL in about two years, after the USL goes thru their transition to D2. Ottawa and Edmonton would join too unless or until the CPL gets off the ground. I don't see Cosmos ownership nor Miami FC ownership wanting to join a league that doesn't have aspirations to be D1. Ft. Lauderdale and Puerto Rico are wildcards, OKC dead in the water, and who knows what will happen to expected expansion teams Chicago and SF Deltas.

I think this is going to happen sooner than I initially thought. NASL is really struggling.

There's some rumors going around that a handful of NASL teams have already been talking to the USL about joining. General mood in the NASL forums is extremely negative to the point that people are using past tense already to talk about their own league.

I think Tampa, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Indy will all join the USL in about two years, after the USL goes thru their transition to D2. Ottawa and Edmonton would join too unless or until the CPL gets off the ground. I don't see Cosmos ownership nor Miami FC ownership wanting to join a league that doesn't have aspirations to be D1. Ft. Lauderdale and Puerto Rico are wildcards, OKC dead in the water, and who knows what will happen to expected expansion teams Chicago and SF Deltas.

I think this is going to happen sooner than I initially thought. NASL is really struggling.
So to paraphrase, very soon the Kosmos really will be an independent soccer team.

Their lemming fans' heads will explode - and total karma for the delusional group. Half of their wish will come true - total relegation...

So to paraphrase, very soon the Kosmos really will be an independent soccer team.

Their lemming fans' heads will explode - and total karma for the delusional group. Half of their wish will come true - total relegation...

I wonder how long the brand will stay dormant. Would hypothetical new owners of the Red Bulls want to buy it? Or just use the free Metro branding from MLS 1.0? I'd speculate the latter and hope they eventually change their name to something like New York Metro FC. The contrast between NYCFC in blue and NYMFC in red is just tailor made for a classic rivalry.

Reactions: Gavin23
How about Metro New York - because that's really what they are - part of the metropolitan area of New York

Reactions: adam and sbrylski
So long as Red Bull own the Energy Drinks from across the Hudson, I can't see them ever choosing not to have their own product emblazoned as the team's identity. It's just not in their DNA to use a different branding, even if it would make marketing sense for the team - their sales figures are all they really care about. Red Bull would have to sell up for that ever to happen.

Reactions: Kjbert
The USL has already applied for D-2 status right? In some of these markets, the USL franchises are outperforming the D-2 NASL squads.

Hmmm. If only there were some well understood and well regulated system where, say, the best teams from one division could move up, and perhaps the bottom teams from another division would move down to match. Hmmm…if only…

sure if you want to play in crappy lacrosse fields

and have more teams die out

Reactions: Kjbert
Final update. Reyna told me tonight that they're talking to a few teams in USL about an affiliation for 2017.

Eventually they'd like a B team in USL but it's not a high priority right now.