Win! (Sports Documentary)-- Who's going to the Tribeca Film Festival screenings?

I particularly enjoyed the exchange between Khaldoon al Mubarak and DeBlasio. Something like "We will make soccer the number two sport in America" and Bill like "Hur-ha! Right behind baseball! Gufaw!" and then the look on Khaldoon's face is just "this guy is clueless."

View attachment 5994

de Blasio is a Red Sox fan and became Mayor of New York City. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!

Last question is will their be a Win 2?

You know they retained as least someone from that team to film for the Season in Review video that will be sold along with the MLS Cup Championship tshirt, towel, and scarf as advertised after we win the MLS Cup on FOX.

The following advertisement will obviously be David Villa saying, "I'm going to Disney World."

I was getting worried until a few weeks ago could of been

Win 2: Kreis Revenge

Bit weird to watch it and see the MLS expansion and realised NYCFC manager at the time would end up being the other team manager in due course

Reactions: JayH
Obviously, CFG made the call to the director to make the film after NYCFC was established. That being said, I wish there was footage of the talks to establish NYCFC, or at least interviews.

But what I really wanted to see was Sheikh Mansour writing a check for the expansion fee. Or having someone put a few gold bars in a briefcase to be sent to Mr. Don Garber. (Looking up the price of a bar, that would have to be about 7800 bricks for the $100M fee).

Loved the film. Of course I love pretty much any and all behind-the-scenes videos, so what's not to like?

It was interesting to watch all of this unfold knowing in hindsight what would happen as the year progressed. Probably one of my favorite sequences was the expansion draft, just in getting to see how it was setup and done, and just watching in frustration at the elation of getting Wingert and Grabavoy.

I do think that it makes me a little more sympathetic to Kreis, but damn does he curse a lot.

I didn't think it was possible, but it made me love Villa more.

Just watched the film last night. Couple of odds and ends from the film:

• When Kreis is in Manchester watching the last game of the 2014 PL season, he mentions that "#26 wants to play in NY". I'm wondering who (assuming it was #26 for MC) that was.
  • Seriously Kreis had a crush on Grabavoy and Wingert. The whole scene with the angst about not being able to get both of them, the phone call with Wingy, and then their elation at grabbing Wingert tenth was an indication of what was to come.
  • Kreis was out of his league. It shows that he didn't know how to manage a big star like Lamps or Villa.
  • The scene where Villa was at some swanky party and didn't understand a thing and then said "I need to learn English" was great. The look on his face was priceless. Props that he went out and did it.
  • Interesting how they singled out a scene where the coaching staff basically said Poku has no stamina and then asked the assistant coach "can you teach him this?" - also telling.
  • The scene with Grabavoy and Wingert discussing the salary cap going up and basically complaining that they still won't get paid...true MLS
  • Didn't know Kreis cursed so much. It just seems out of character for him, like he is trying too hard to show that he's tough.
  • That call from Kreis to Reyna about scouting in Colombia was also great - how basically the teams were not helping out at all, saying "the player is no good." Or maybe they were being honest about Calle/Mendoza?
  • Nothing on the Pirlo signing (and basically everything after the first home game). Would have been great to get the back channel discussion on that one.
Spend the $5 and rent it if you are an NYCFC fan. Good stuff.

Kreis was out of his league. It shows that he didn't know how to manage a big star like Lamps or Villa.

This was a big point for me in the movie. Kreis looked to Villa early on in the preseason and season in the locker room and meetings with the team and for the most part, from what we saw, Villa just sat there.

I'm thoroughly convinced that Kreis lost Villa and the rest of the locker room started to trickle away after the Red Bull loss in New Jersey where Villa was subbed off early.

I remember there was a report or chatter that Villa talked up Soriano or another high ranking CFG personnel and said he wanted Kreis out.

Reactions: JayH
LionNYC LionNYC canchon canchon You guys are dead on. I had the very same reaction while watching. Kreis was in way over his head with the task at hand. Forget about the difficulties of constructing a new MLS team. You had the combination of a massive international football network, a team in the world's greatest and most intense market, and some of the biggest personalities in soccer history. You need the right guy, with the right confidence, poise and personality to handle those challenges in that environment. He seemed to be falling apart throughout. He clearly gave it his all and poured his heart and soul into the team (at least early on), but he was not the right fit to operate under those circumstances. It was a difficult spot, and the wrong guy.

And his interactions with the players, particularly the stars, was kind of awkward and uncomfortable at times. I am not sure Villa was very impressed with his "be a fucking dick" pep talks. Again, a sharp contrast with the rapport PV has with his players.

Reactions: canchon and Ulrich