Yankees, Sinclair, and Amazon Acquire YES

Hard to imagine they would make an additional fee for people who are already paying for YES in the cable package. Are there any examples of that?

Reactions: Kjbert
How do people imagine this streaming only deal would work? Because the value of YES is based upon being on basic cable and monthly subscription fees. Yankee games are never coming off cable, not for many years anyway. NYCFC games represent about 0.00000000001% of the reason Amazon purchased a share of YES, or less.

Last edited:
How do people imagine this streaming only deal would work? Because the value of YES is based upon being on basic cable and monthly subscription fees. Yankee games are never coming off cable, not for many years anyway. NYCFC games represent about 0.00000000001% of the reason Amazon purchased a share of YES, or less.
You are thinking in the right direction. Yankee games are the large majority of the value here; Nets games a smaller amount and NYCFC beyond that.

So, even if the Yankee games are never going to get bumped, there are other reasons why someone might want to stream those games, including traveling or just being away from the house. What do we think the rule will be then? My guess is that they are going to set up a streaming site that you can access with your cable subscription as well as just signing up to stream directly. They aren't going to jettison cable at this point, and they aren't going to deny cable subscribers on line access as they want to build that channel.

I'll take the other side of this. I'm a cord cutter who doesn't get YES. I have ESPN+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

I would love it if Amazon streamed all games with no blackouts. It would increase my ability to view games.

EDIT: Frankly, same for the Nets.

giphy.gif

Perhaps the start of an eventual move from Fox Sports Go?

These are the games being televised on PIX-11, which were never streamed. So maybe at some point, but this isn't replacing any games that were already on Fox Sports Go.

These are the games being televised on PIX-11, which were never streamed. So maybe at some point, but this isn't replacing any games that were already on Fox Sports Go.
This is just the start. If it is successful (the x-ray feature is promising) and with the amount of money Amazon has, I can see this happening sooner rather than later.

So if Xfinity has YES Network, I’ll be able to watch every one of our games live?

So if Xfinity has YES Network, I’ll be able to watch every one of our games live?

Correct. Either by watching YES through your TV and/or Xfinity app when it is broadcast on YES network .. OR by using the YES app, when it is only available via stream.

Local MLS Games: YES Network, YES App
National MLS Games: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, FS2, Univision, Unimas, Twitter

Leagues Cup: ESPN, ESPN2, Univision, Unimas
US Open Cup: ESPN+

Seriously, how is anyone supposed to watch these games in the NY market without a cable subscription?

The same way fans of the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Liberty, and Red Bulls watch their teams' games. By having a cable subscription. YES is on the most basic of service plans and you can get it pretty easily. I don't want to be rude, but I don't see fans of any other NY sports team complaining about this the way people here do.

Reactions: 413Blue