2016 Preseason Thread

Klinsmann calls up Mix and Shelton to the USMNT.

Huge senior team call up for Shelton. He and Mix better step up, someone make sure they don't drink any of Jozy's kool aid.

EDIT: 1. who is this Jerome Kiesewetter? 2. Where the hell is Bobby Wood?

upload_2016-1-6_15-31-48.png

I really hesitate to challenge or correct you on English football history, but I think this is an error. The Championship was not Division Two for 100 years, it was Division One. When the top teams formed the PL they created a whole new league, and what had been the top league for a century became the second league (regardless of its name). I think the rest of your post indicates you agree with this, and this sentence was just a typo. Or maybe I'm missing something?

It must have been a weird year for everyone when the switch happened. Most teams moved "up" a league even though their relative position stayed the same. Teams that got promoted moved up two leagues, and teams that were relegated stayed in the same league, if I'm understanding it all correctly.

I think the confusion comes from our contrasting definitions of "the league"/"the Championship" in the long run. You are talking from the point of view of the league being defined by the strict legal entity, which in this case - you are right - is ultimately the successor of the top division from a legal point of view, as the PL supplanted the FL and forced it down a tier. I was talking from the perspective of the league being defined by its teams and its position in the league pyramid, so "the Championship" as the second tier of English football is the successor of the old second tier, which for 100 years was called the Second Division.

How many teams in the Icelandic league? There's only 300,000 people in the country and they almost all live in 1 city.

12, but it's only the first division of five.

Huge senior team call up for Shelton. He and Mix better step up, someone make sure they don't drink any of Jozy's kool aid.

EDIT: 1. who is this Jerome Kiesewetter? 2. Where the hell is Bobby Wood?

View attachment 3750

It is almost strictly an MLS/Scandinavian leagues camp so no Bobby Wood. Every year this camp features players from MLS that likely will never represent the USA competitively, but it gives Klinsmann a chance to assess some players (like Tchanni) who have done well for club to see if they can perform internationally. Besler is the best example I can think of someone who shined at Camp Cupcake(as it's popularly called) and turned that into many senior team caps.

Kiesewetter is German-American who has represented the US at the youth levels. He is in a bad situation at Stuttgart which is why I expect he was included. He is a pacey player that can also play in the midfield.

edit: also of note, this is partially a U23 camp for the Olympic qualifying match against Columbia in March which is why I suspect Shelton was included.

Last edited:
ou are talking from the point of view of the league being defined by the strict legal entity, which in this case - you are right - is ultimately the successor of the top division from a legal point of view, as the PL supplanted the FL and forced it down a tier. I was talking from the perspective of the league being defined by its teams and its position in the league pyramid,

Nailed it.

Is there anyway we could pick him up?
He's probably on the Allocation List. If not, we'd have to have a Discovery Claim on him. Oh, and he'd have to show interest in coming to MLS, but since he plays for Stuttgart it would likely be a tough time convincing him.

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
He's probably on the Allocation List. If not, we'd have to have a Discovery Claim on him. Oh, and he'd have to show interest in coming to MLS, but since he plays for Stuttgart it would likely be a tough time convincing him.

He's been playing for Stuttgart II. His coach there just got named the new first team manager (after being interim for 5 games) and he brought Kiesewetter with him although he hasn't played for them yet.

Reactions: joe and Kjbert
Khiry probably gets a USMNT cap here. And some of you don't want him starting. Fools.

Here's all we know so far...

Preseason begins on Jan 22, assumes this means that (official) NYCFC Camp/Training full team training begins then

Mix & Khiry: US Camp, Jan 12 - Feb 8 (They will miss the start of NYCFC Camp unless sent home early by Jurgen)
RJ, Poku, Mullins, Taylor, McNamara: MCFC Camp, Jan 7 - Jan 18 or so (10 day of training, arrive back for NYCFC)
Rest of the players are unaccounted for until NYCFC Camp

Team travels to Florida for IMG Tournament for three matches (last year NYCFC had five official preseason games):
NYCFC vs. HB Køge, Feb 20
NYCFC vs FC Cincinnati, Feb 24
NYCFC vs KR Reykjavik, Feb 27

Opening match vs. Chicago on Mar 6

Last edited:
i think that your overeaccting a little here bud.AlexandrePato was in talks with big clubs like Liverpool about a 17 million dollar deal.

Reactions: Kjbert
Brad Davis was just traded from Houston to Kansas City. He went for a 2nd and 3rd Round draft pick in 2016 and 2017 respectively.