2018 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target (vs. Juventus) (Atlanta, Aug 1)

So it's confirmed that Ronaldo is not going to the MLS all star game. He's also not going to any ICC games. The team also said anyone else that made it past WC group stage won't be training in the U.S. I don't really care about the ICC games, but it looks like Juventus will be missing the below 9 players from their All-Star squad:

Ronaldo, Higuain, Dybala, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Costa, Mandzukic, Bentancur, Pjaca

Reactions: Christopher Jee
this is so typical MLS All-Star.
Can we please just have East vs West All-Star? It would be SO much more fun, and there would be a reason to watch it.
I know, I know, but they'll make more money from a foreign biggy coming over- but meh.

this is so typical MLS All-Star.
Can we please just have East vs West All-Star? It would be SO much more fun, and there would be a reason to watch it.
I know, I know, but they'll make more money from a foreign biggy coming over- but meh.
Can we please just cancel the All-Star game, or make it the entire Atlanta squad versus an English League 1 hatchet team?

Can we please just cancel the All-Star game, or make it the entire Atlanta squad versus an English League 1 hatchet team?

I'd be for the MLS All-Stars playing against the USMNT

ETA: Most play for MLS so yeah, no.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...s-2018-mls-all-star-game-next-la-galaxy-match
Ibra skipping the All-Star game and subsequently the Colorado game per MLS rules. Honestly, this is a really smart move because
a) save the chance of injury (a la Villa that one time)
b) it's the Rapids.
I don’t blame him at all for that decision. Smart.

Would be interesting to see the league’s reaction if the vast majority of players slated to be in the Allstar squad took the same route. For many of the established stars, whatever bonus they get is probably not enough to make it worthwhile with the wear/tear of an extra match/travel. So if the players bail last minute, MLS is gonna eat mud with a subpar roster and then have a weekend of starless league matches - seems like they are the ones with the most to lose with their draconian rule. I’d like to see it just for the chaos it’d create.

but it looks like Juventus will be missing the below 9 players from their All-Star squad:

Ronaldo, Higuain, Dybala, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Costa, Mandzukic, Bentancur, Pjaca

This is ridiculous.

Either have these All Star games against big clubs at full strength or scrap the whole idea.

I totally get that these guys want a break from soccer but it’s just stupid to claim it’s “Juventus”.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...s-2018-mls-all-star-game-next-la-galaxy-match
Ibra skipping the All-Star game and subsequently the Colorado game per MLS rules. Honestly, this is a really smart move because
a) save the chance of injury (a la Villa that one time)
b) it's the Rapids.
lol lol lol stupid effin policy to enforce a gimmicky marketing game. I mean you plaster all the big stars on juve all over the marketing material but they don't show up. Where is their penalty? why don't they have to miss their next match? I wish more "stars" skipped the allstar game. Just no show against the other team since they essentially are doing that to us. Have them play their b-squad vs their training staff for 90 min then boo them off.

Reactions: Ulrich
Or just scrap all-stars all together and let the MLS cup winner and the Liga MX champion face off. I'd rather watch teams full of players comfortable with each other square off rather than a glorified pick up game.
Again, I'd still prefer East vs West because at least there players might have pride over beating the other conference. (Or a cool weird incentive MLS could do would be for future playoff formats, the conference that would win gets more playoff spots as an incentive. Meaning the final two playoff spots would only be determined once the all-star game was played, if that makes sense.)