2019 Offseason Thread

Might be helpful to have a count on here of how many players remained on the roster from the previous season.
True. I waws just thinking of it in terms of "how often nycfc announces a 'signing' " which in this case seems less based on the spreadsheet, whereas in actuality there was a bit more movement than seems. Just my two cents, I appreciate your comment though
Dummyrun I like your idea, even though I don't love the implied effort of going back and figuring all that out. Oy.

I actually think it also makes a good argument to bring back Shwafta's request. I guess this is what color coding is for. I'll add re-signings and code them and work on a beginning of off-season roster number. Just not sure how I'm going to get to that number.

ETA: Revised chart. Anyone have a good idea for how I can figure out number on squad at 12/1 in previous years and/or when we re-signed players to new contracts, I'm all ears.

SbRo3bX.png

Last edited:
Dummyrun I like your idea, even though I don't love the implied effort of going back and figuring all that out. Oy.

I actually think it also makes a good argument to bring back Shwafta's request. I guess this is what color coding is for. I'll add re-signings and code them and work on a beginning of off-season roster number. Just not sure how I'm going to get to that number.

ETA: Revised chart. Anyone have a good idea for how I can figure out number on squad at 12/1 in previous years and/or when we re-signed players to new contracts, I'm all ears.

SbRo3bX.png
By 12/1 of each year the rosters are locked for each team, right? So if you go to the "roster releases" announcement of each year, won't that be all players released + all players kept = all roster on 12/1?

Also thanks for adding it! It just looks to me like instead of seeing a potential 4-6 day gap between signings, that we actually had announcements only a few days apart.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Obviously this is subjective, but ...

Where NYCFC ranks?

I'm not on board with where he puts all the teams, but his NYCFC Tier 1?, maybe? comment is spot on I think.
Just wanted to point out that he mentions TFC checks all boxes.

They have paid one large transfer fee, and it was 6.66m Euros for Michael Bradley. I hope that when we "check that box", it's not a similar signing as that.

Reactions: dummyrun and Kjbert
I had thought several times last year that it would have been interesting to experiment with converting Rodney Wallace to left back. While his offensive game was an absolute disaster last year, he did continue to show a good work rate and some valuable forward defensive work. It's not unusual for certain speedy attackers to convert to an outside back position later in their careers, and Ben Sweat was our left back, so I thought it was worth exploring.

I had thought several times last year that it would have been interesting to experiment with converting Rodney Wallace to left back. While his offensive game was an absolute disaster last year, he did continue to show a good work rate and some valuable forward defensive work. It's not unusual for certain speedy attackers to convert to an outside back position later in their careers, and Ben Sweat was our left back, so I thought it was worth exploring.

He played some left back at Portland and Recife and even very briefly for us. Vermes intends to use him there, so, uh, godspeed I guess.

Wild how we went in one week from everybody tearing their hair out because nothing was happening to signing Parks, re-signing Ofori, signing Haak, scooping up $150k GAM for Venuto's rights, closing in on Mackay-Steven and Torres, and making an offer on at least one DP. The offseason halftime speech must have been a real barn burner.

Wild how we went in one week from everybody tearing their hair out because nothing was happening to signing Parks, re-signing Ofori, signing Haak, scooping up $150k GAM for Venuto's rights, closing in on Mackay-Steven and Torres, and making an offer on at least one DP. The offseason halftime speech must have been a real barn burner.
And yet everyone is still mad.

I'm still not satisfied.

The FO has had a good week!

For all the ridicule that gets slung at the mad fans (not necessarily from you), I think it's fair to say that more empathic, proactive communication could have prevented some of the negativity that understandably grew into the vacuum of actual information about transfer activity.

Let's hope we get it right next window.

These are pretty pedestrian moves so far.

• Parks is a solid addition and something the FO should be proud of.
  • Ofori is a squad rotation player at best, so a positive push but nothing to trumpet as a homerun of success.
  • Haak is a good HG signing that hopefully won’t go unused this year as game time is paramount to his development. The club should expect to be signing HGs - this just validates the academy rather than being a bold FO move.
  • $150k for a player we never signed was a coup - maybe the first brilliant move the FO has made (to make up for the concessions to move up in the draft).
  • “Closing in on” is irrelevant until completed. GMS may be a good pickup, but maybe not if he can’t adapt to MLS. Torres is a spot player at best if Midas’ analysis is correct, and I think he’s been pretty good regarding US youth he’s seen play.
  • An offer on one DP is pretty sad at this point considering the club knew Villa was leaving, so until they sign somebody, nobody should be content with that variable.
All in all, a lot of movement that doesn’t raise the floor, nor the ceiling, very much. Especially when viewed against the backdrop of Atlanta and some other clubs.

None of this stuff is even mildly interesting, aside from Parks, whom I’ll need to see actually get playing time given our propensity to rot US talent on the bench.

This is where we are? We’re supposed to pat the club on the back for a window where the biggest incoming transfer is a loan for a Benfica B midfielder and the drama is whether or not we snag a journeyman winger from Scotland? And the other business could and should have been locked down a long time ago.

Nah. I’m good, fam. I’ll stay skeptical.