2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
If this is true, it’ll be the biggest transfer fee we’ll have ever paid. Player aside, it gives me a bit of comfort to finally see our ownership investing this type of money on young talent and trusting their scouting network.

Now about the player, it’s definitely a flyer. Yes, we could’ve spent more on a proven player or waited till the summer to get a player on the free, but there’s no certainty that we could’ve landed such player or where the team would be in the standings by then. This is an opportunity for our main core of players to gel from the beginning.

I’ll be honest - I’m certainly intrigued by this move and see if his production can translate to MLS. It’ll probably be a big factor as to whether we’ll be MLS Cup contenders, and I’m ok with that.

At least we have a very young & talented team to watch this year (youngest ever I believe?). The pieces are assembling, now we just have to watch whether Dome can put it all together.

If not, then we try again next year. That’s my very optimistic view of this off-season

If this is true, it’ll be the biggest transfer fee we’ll have ever paid. Player aside, it gives me a bit of comfort to finally see our ownership investing this type of money on young talent and trusting their scouting network.

Now about the player, it’s definitely a flyer. Yes, we could’ve spent more on a proven player or waited till the summer to get a player on the free, but there’s no certainty that we could’ve landed such player or where the team would be in the standings by then. This is an opportunity for our main core of players to gel from the beginning.

I’ll be honest - I’m certainly intrigued by this move and see if his production can translate to MLS. It’ll probably be a big factor as to whether we’ll be MLS Cup contenders, and I’m ok with that.

At least we have a very young & talented team to watch this year (youngest ever I believe?). The pieces are assembling, now we just have to watch whether Dome can put it all together.

If not, then we try again next year. That’s my very optimistic view of this off-season
All very good points, especially about it feeling like it’s a flyer-type player. I really wonder if this was a panic buy??? Or was it even the 1st choice transfer??? (It could be a panic buy and 1st choice if the club was planning to wait until summer and got cold feet).

There’s so much clouded in the club’s transfers, and not getting this done prior to the club leaving, for the most important position, has hints of it being a panic purchase, especially with the team so quickly meeting the increased sale request.

Hopefully the guy turns out to be a great addition. But I have zero expectations at this point - the club has just left me underenthused with their display of business rollout.

All very good points, especially about it feeling like it’s a flyer-type player. I really wonder if this was a panic buy??? Or was it even the 1st choice transfer??? (It could be a panic buy and 1st choice if the club was planning to wait until summer and got cold feet).

There’s so much clouded in the club’s transfers, and not getting this done prior to the club leaving, for the most important position, has hints of it being a panic purchase, especially with the team so quickly meeting the increased sale request.

Hopefully the guy turns out to be a great addition. But I have zero expectations at this point - the club has just left me underenthused with their display of business rollout.
First you people complain about the club not making any signings, then when they start ramping it up it's panic buying lol.

So how long are we giving this guy to perform? A month? 2?
I'd give him at least the season, hoping for 10 G+A or better.

It's going to be an adjustment. He's young, on a long contract and on a team that's built for the future vs staring at the countdown clock on DV7's career. I'll be happy just to see shoots of grass with the hope of a truly dominant year 2.

That’s our 3rd DP. :whelp: sure hope he’s not Stiven Mendoza part 2.
4X1j.gif

If we sign Alexandru to a youth DP contract, our roster looks something like this*:

Screenshot 2019-01-29 10.52.23.png

*I gave Barraza the same contract as Calldwell last season
*Transfermarket says the loan amount for Parks was $1.58mm. Max TAM amount is $1.53, so I set it at that, since he's not a DP.
*Estimated Juan Pablo Torres salary at $100k.

I have to see how everyone performs, but this is the first season I can remember without a Albatros contract on the roster. Idk what the on field results will be, but well done to the FO for cutting all the dead weight over the years. We're finally 100% free of the year 1 disaster that put us in salary cap hell.

Last edited:
how ? mendoza was not a DP and here on loan. expectations are not the same, higher for this guy though.

Leading goal scorer in a lesser league, expected to come here and perform at high level.

Reactions: Kjbert
If we sign Alexandru to a youth DP contract, our roster looks something like this*:

View attachment 9495

*I gave Barraza the same contract as Calldwell last season
*Transfermarket says the loan amount for Parks was $1.58mm. Max TAM amount is $1.53, so I set it at that, since he's not a DP.
*Estimated Juan Pablo Torres salary at $100k.

I have to see how everyone performs, but this is the first season I can remember without a Albatros contract on the roster. Idk what the on field results will be, but well done to the FO for cutting all the dead weight over the years. We're finally 100% free of the year 1 disaster that put us in salary cap hell.

wow maxi is the oldest player? at 31.

First you people complain about the club not making any signings, then when they start ramping it up it's panic buying lol.
Don’t let the concept go over your head - those two situations are not mutually exclusive.