Dax to Chicago

I called it a few months back after Redbulls lost in the playoffs to Montreal. After Dax's comments about the team, I sensed there were some issues there between him, Marsche, and the FO. I knew they would try to get rid of him, although I did say look for them to trade him to Orlando where he is from.

As a NYCFC fan, glad to see him gone from the Redbulls. He was one of their best and most important players in the mid. Granted, he was not as good this past year as he was a couple of years ago, but still he was a big part of their heart. He was a big part of their ability to mind fuck us every game, and days leading to the games vs NYCFC. Chicago is building a good team. Now they need a GK. Oops they had Sean Johnson but for some reason they got rid of him. Oh well, their stupidity is our gain.

NJ will suffer from this. His impact on their whole squad through his play was good, but his leadership is what made him great. Guy was a douche canoe on the field, but the type that you like if he is on your team.
absolutely right. When I was a red bulls fan, I absolutely loved Dax. He was one of the most important pieces to the team, even with Henry there. Glad he Redbulls, he will be hard to replace for those assholes.

I would have taken Dax for 400,000k in gam in a heart beat. Would make him a dp too. Dude single handedly wrecked us last year. Of course RB would never allow it but it's a steal for Chicago.

Reactions: Sabo
With the increased efforts in transparency, it's interesting to see the value of players in terms of GAM/TAM.

With that said, it puts in perspective of our superdraft trade of 250,000 to snag Lewis compared to 400,000 for Dax. I'm all in on Lewis, but would it have been smarter to spend the extra 150,000 on Dax who, when healthy, would've been a great fit and need for our team, as opposed to a rookie who we're banking on to follow the trajectory of Jack Harrison?

Reactions: JCMore
With the increased efforts in transparency, it's interesting to see the value of players in terms of GAM/TAM.

With that said, it puts in perspective of our superdraft trade of 250,000 to snag Lewis compared to 400,000 for Dax. I'm all in on Lewis, but would it have been smarter to spend the extra 150,000 on Dax who, when healthy, would've been a great fit and need for our team, as opposed to a rookie who we're banking on to follow the trajectory of Jack Harrison?

Its not just the GAM to acquire him, it's the cap cost for the salary over the next few years. If Lewis remains a GA for 3 seasons, we actually go cap positive on the deal, saving money against the cap while having a talented young player on our roster.

That said, it's one of the reasons I also like Polster if he's now superfluous for the Fire. Polster earned $99k last season. Drafted in 15, he would have 1-2 years left at similar numbers. Even if we threw $300k in GAM for him, that's only $250k per season for Polster for 2 years. Not bad at all if he's a starter with upside. If we plan to replace him with a DP, then it's too much for a CDM sub, unless he can conver other midfield positions or CB and be used to rotate and rest other players on the roster.

For comparison, Dax made $500k last season. The same $400k in GAM the Fire just paid means he costs an amortized $700k per season over 2 years or $633k per season over 3 years. And that's if he doesn't get a raise. We wouldn't want to do that to our cap (see Mix), unless he's a DP. And if thats the case, there are way better DPs.

I love that they now release GAM numbers.

Matt Doyle reviews the trade from both sides: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/16/armchair-analyst-unpacking-dax-mccartys-trade-rbny-chicago

One interesting tidbit on the Fire "hoarding GAM and TAM":

On top of all of that, Chicago aren't even close to done wheeling and dealing. It's estimated that, even after shipping out $400k in GAM for McCarty, they still have something in the ballpark of $600k GAM on hand, as well as $1.5 million worth of TAM. They have been flipping assets and collecting cash for years, and are now in position to bolster pretty much any spot on the field in a "whoa, did they really just sign that guy?" kind of way.​

That's a lot of TAM to play with to potentially bring in a top tier DP in.

Like Doyle said, I won't be surprised to see them hoarding even more garber bucks as they have some tradeable players now.

Yes, Chicago is no longer the bottom team of the east/ MLS it will be tougher this year no longer guaranteed points when we played them

Reactions: mgarbowski