Leagues Cup - August 3 - Red Bulls

A little HRD history breakdown because there was a lot of discussion of how we played RB under various coaches last night in chat.

Vieira and Cushing are the only coaches to win against RB at RBA.
Counting non-league games, NYCFC is 2-11-2 against RB at RBA.
It's all very small sample sizes, but among coaches both H and A and treating cup games as if they award points:
Torrent has the best record overall - 1.75​
Cushing has the best MSL record - 2.00​
Cushing has the second best record overall - 1.50​
Kreis the worst - 0.00​
Deila - 0.80​
Vieira MLS - 1.43​
Vieira overall - 1.11​
Combined in MLS - 1.23​
Combined total - 1.08​

Cushing has an abysmal record as head coach at NYCFC. Just 1.22 PPG in 45 MLS league games. Lost his only USOC game. A sad Leagues Cup showing, even with beating up a putrid Toronto team. But he has three significant highlights:
  • Winning Campeones Cup
  • NYCFC's second best ever playoff run
  • Sweeping the season series against RB in 2022. He is the only NYCFC coach ever to do that.

Last edited:
At this point, we can now treat the rest of this season as the pre-season for next season. But with the coach who won’t be here next season. What a mess.

This will be the fourth Hudson River Derby played in a cup knockout competition https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/class/sentinel/ (three previous in the U.S. Open Cup). All of the matches have been played at Red Bull Arena.Gyuto Knife [Chef's Knife]

I can't wait for that to start to change come the new stadium.
Ah, the good ol' Hudson River Derby! It's like a spicy rivalry simmering on the soccer field. But hey, change is inevitable, and new stadiums bring new adventures. Just imagine the thrill of watching the rivalry unfold in a fresh and exciting venue. It's like a whole new chapter waiting to be written in the annals of soccer history. So, here's to the future and the upcoming battles that will surely make the Hudson River Derby even more memorable!

Last edited:
Yes, the perfect time for a bot to show up - the day after a frustrating loss to a rival.

Fuck off, bot.
NYCFC vs Red Bulls
Forum Admins vs Bots
Third Rail vs Unruly Fans

Hard to find more lopsided rivalries these days.

(j/k to the people who run this site, I appreciate you all)

Philly to play Red Bull. Now that should be an easy game on the eyes. 90 minutes of two moose trying to hump a football.

No, you attack so we can press you, no you! Remember that playoff game two years ago between RB and Philly? That may have been the ugliest game of soccer I have ever seen.

Reactions: canchon
At this point, we can now treat the rest of this season as the pre-season for next season. But with the coach who won’t be here next season. What a mess.

If we miss the playoffs, precedent says Cushing will be fired. And maybe he will be. But I continue to believe this season isn't Cushing's fault. Could he have gotten more out of these players and this team? Sure. But this season to date rests squarely on the front office. I would go so far as to say that if we start to get better results in these last 10 games, Cushing should get a chance next year with a roster that's more complete than this one was.

If we miss the playoffs, precedent says Cushing will be fired. And maybe he will be. But I continue to believe this season isn't Cushing's fault. Could he have gotten more out of these players and this team? Sure. But this season to date rests squarely on the front office. I would go so far as to say that if we start to get better results in these last 10 games, Cushing should get a chance next year with a roster that's more complete than this one was.
Yep I’d think the next 10 games are the audition for Cushing.

Yep I’d think the next 10 games are the audition for Cushing.

Right. And if he gets better results but we still miss the playoffs, I think he deserves to get next season. This problem is not on him. The front office completely hung him out to dry.

I do have complaints with Nick -- I think he's too reliant on our academy players and fringe signings who shouldn't really be seeing the field (O'Toole, Gray, Jasson) as often as they are, but I also think that is a symptom of the larger roster construction problem. I want to see what he does with all these new signings finally in the fold.

Reactions: JayH
I mostly agree with this and heavily blame the FO/CFG for this disaster, not the coach. My point was that the value of building and bonding for next season during the remainder of this season would be of less value if there is a coaching change following.

Right. And if he gets better results but we still miss the playoffs, I think he deserves to get next season. This problem is not on him. The front office completely hung him out to dry.

I do have complaints with Nick -- I think he's too reliant on our academy players and fringe signings who shouldn't really be seeing the field (O'Toole, Gray, Jasson) as often as they are, but I also think that is a symptom of the larger roster construction problem. I want to see what he does with all these new signings finally in the fold.
I also have a feeling he wants out (like many before him) given that he clearly was hung out to dry.

I mostly agree with this and heavily blame the FO/CFG for this disaster, not the coach. My point was that the value of building and bonding for next season during the remainder of this season would be of less value if there is a coaching change following.

Agreed. We've had way too many coaches during our history -- this team needs some stability. Firing Cushing will be pulling the rug out from under them, and we'll struggle to start next year as we learn the new coach. Best thing they can do is show patience in Cushing and let him manage a full roster.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I feel like the vibes I'm getting above may be similar to mine?

I'm not Cushing Out, but I'm not Cushing In either. I'm not currently calling for him to be fired but could be swayed that way depending on how the rest of the season goes. But also, if the club were to fire him today, it wouldn't upset me.

I also have a feeling he wants out (like many before him) given that he clearly was hung out to dry.
It's crazy that this team has had 5 coaches in 9 years and only one was fired. It's somewhat surprising this coincided with a rather remarkable run of on-field success. Two coaches quit for higher prestige jobs in Europe, but they both did so midseason, and another just quit because he was fed up and he had nothing lined up. These are not events that generally align with consistent success.
I have not seen signs that Nick might want out; you might see more sitting by the bench. But I would not be shocked if he left either.

It's crazy that this team has had 5 coaches in 9 years and only one was fired. It's somewhat surprising this coincided with a rather remarkable run of on-field success. Two coaches quit for higher prestige jobs in Europe, but they both did so midseason, and another just quit because he was fed up and he had nothing lined up. These are not events that generally align with consistent success.
I have not seen signs that Nick might want out; you might see more sitting by the bench. But I would not be shocked if he left either.
My sports fandom has gone in this manner:
  1. Steelers fan since basically I was born (grandparents from the Pittsburgh era)
  2. Marquette fan since 2005 (when I began my freshman year there)
  3. NYCFC fan since 2015
The number of head coaches for each of those teams since I have been a fan:
  1. NYCFC with 5 (Kreis, PV, Torrent, Deila, Cushing)
  2. Marquette with 4 (Crean, Buzz Williams, Wojo, Shaka)
  3. Steelers with 2 (Cowher and Tomlin - and if you go all the way back to 1969, it's only 3 with adding Noll)

The team this season has not only lacked talent, it has also been unpleasant to watch and lacking in identity. The lineups haven't made any sense, and the team lacks cohesion and understanding.

I was talking to Gotham Jr. about it last night. It used to be that even if the team lost, they were fun to watch. Now, even when they win, it's not pleasing to the eye.

I like Cushing, and I am willing to see how the rest of the season progresses, but I am pessimistic.