Leagues Cup - August 3 - Red Bulls

The team this season has not only lacked talent, it has also been unpleasant to watch and lacking in identity. The lineups haven't made any sense, and the team lacks cohesion and understanding.

I was talking to Gotham Jr. about it last night. It used to be that even if the team lost, they were fun to watch. Now, even when they win, it's not pleasing to the eye.

I like Cushing, and I am willing to see how the rest of the season progresses, but I am pessimistic.

I agree with all of this. But also, we only had one of these newcomers available last night. I agree that I want to see Ilenic and Cufre starting instead of Gray and Jasson, but let's see what he does once everyone is available.

If this team gets to a starting XI of:
Santi-Bakrar-Fernandez
Parks-Maxi-Sands
Cufre-Risa-Thiago-Ilenic

I really think they can do some damage. I want to see what Cushing's ideas look like when he has a solid team to work with.

I have generally been in the ‘give Cushing a chance once he gets a striker camp’ but lasts night selection , tactics and subs are starting to push me into thinking we need a fresh start and new ideas

This. In a knockout win or go home to a long layoff situation you put out your best line-up. Gray at RB and Jasson were def not it! This isn't the only time where starting lineup/subs/tactics were seemingly (way?) off the mark. Plus his inability to get the guys motivated doesn't help. I'm leaning heavily towards Cushing out. And if it is going to happen then the sooner the better so that we don't waste part of next season getting used to the new guy.

Having said that, I doubt it happens.

This match was screaming for Maxi as honestly, we've seen all season. We had no connection in the middle of the park and the Red bulls definitely clogged the center. I think Parks did well but connecting the midfield to the final third seemed like the biggest problems on the night. Seemed to me that every time the offense got the ball, they were surprised it got that far. Then team turned it over without even taking a shot. Also, for the love of god, we haven't got a goal from a free kick in a decent area all season, can we please try a set piece to the other players in the box instead of kicking the ball into the wall or skying it over the net. I think Jasson had every right to start the match with the context of how well the team played against Toronto. But in a vacuum Magno needs to start this game. He was the big bright spot I saw for the offense. Did he do the best job? No, far from it. But at least he ran at defenders and tried to make aggressive passes in the box.

I agree with all of this. But also, we only had one of these newcomers available last night. I agree that I want to see Ilenic and Cufre starting instead of Gray and Jasson, but let's see what he does once everyone is available.

Santi-Bakrar-Fernandez
Parks-Maxi-Sands
Cufre-Risa-Thiago-Ilenic

I really think they can do some damage. I want to see what Cushing's ideas look like when he has a solid team to work with.
Jasson did not displace Cufre and arguably he’s been one of our more effective players over the last 3-4 matches. But I agree that Gray-Jasson does not put us in a great position. Gray was terrible last night and seems to have lost what mojo he had previously. It’s a mystery to me why Ilenic isn’t starting.

Folks around here complain about how our fullbacks stop and pass back, but that’s not on the player, it’s on the system. Every single one of these guys got where they are by being a top level player at every level. Aggression is default. Caution is taught. Back when Tayvon was a pup you’d see him emulating Tinner and even heading into the opposing box. Now he is timid and cautious. Cufre pushes forward all the time. You think these guys don’t want to take people on? Of course they do. When they don’t, it’s because they are afraid they will be riding pine if it doesn’t work out. And that’s why Tayvon starts over Ilenic. And it is firmly on Nick.

Hopefully Maxi will restore some swagger and confidence to supplement what Bakrar has already tried to do. IMHO that was a huge part of his role.

let's see what he does once everyone is available.

Santi-Bakrar-Fernandez
Parks-Maxi-Sands
Cufre-Risa-Thiago-Ilenic
To me, the thing is, putting out that XI is easy. And that lineup should get some points.

That doesn't explain his lineup choices when the decisions were less clear. Nor does it explain why IMO we have seen very little player growth (Jasson, Haak) and significant backslides (Magno, Gray, Santi).

I heard the videos temporarily circulating of this were pretty brutal:
i seen two, one seemed out in street crossing where bunch of people pass anyway. other clip looked like right at the exit of stadium and that one was wild looked like 10 v 2.

I heard the videos temporarily circulating of this were pretty brutal:
Not that it ever was on the list, but I think RBA won't be making my bucket list anytime soon.

Never been. Pretty content to never go.

Reactions: JayH
Not that it ever was on the list, but I think RBA won't be making my bucket list anytime soon.

Never been. Pretty content to never go.
I'd definitely recommend never attending a HRD game there, but would add an international friendly or something similar would probably be a fun event. Maybe even seeing a NJ/NY Gotham FC game, as the crowd will most likely be friendlier and livelier. It is a nice stadium regarding sightlines and the like, so watching a match there is an enjoyable experience.

Although, having wrote this, I also realize that the parking situation and amenities are somewhat lacking. I'm also realizing that the before and after steps to get to/from the stadium tend to take a way from a decent game watching experience.

Just stay home and never go to RBA 😂

I'd definitely recommend never attending a HRD game there, but would add an international friendly or something similar would probably be a fun event. Maybe even seeing a NJ/NY Gotham FC game, as the crowd will most likely be friendlier and livelier. It is a nice stadium regarding sightlines and the like, so watching a match there is an enjoyable experience.

Although, having wrote this, I also realize that the parking situation and amenities are somewhat lacking. I'm also realizing that the before and after steps to get to/from the stadium tend to take a way from a decent game watching experience.

I dunno. Maybe a USWNT match or a WC26 warm up. But after that I can't imagine heading all the way over to NJ when we have our own bright shiny SSS right in my backyard.

Reactions: Schwallacus

As a Gotham FC season ticket holder I can confirm, the vibes are always very good.

As a Gotham FC season ticket holder I can confirm, the vibes are always very good.
I'd like to go to a game or two.... just hate the journey so much. And I'm relatively easy, all things considered, coming from Manhattan...

I'd like to go to a game or two.... just hate the journey so much. And I'm relatively easy, all things considered, coming from Manhattan...

Yeah, I live in Westchester. It's more than an hour, and that doesn't even include the lottery of the GWB. No thanks. Yankee/Citi/Future Soccer Stadium are all 30 minutes away for me; I'll stick to those games.

Reactions: Kenny