Leagues Cup - July 23 - Atlas (Home)

Scrolling through tweets with “NYCFC” in them tonight and I’ve seen the same image of an Atlas logo superimposed over the first plane crashing into the trade center 6-7 times.
Plus lots of accusations of NYCFC fans chanting pvta at the end of the game.

Gotta love the Leagues Cup

I don't understand from a tactical standpoint subbing in Segal in the 60' and then moving him to the RW and subbing in Mounsef in the 80'. Segal cannot by any means play on the wing. He could not get to one of those long balls passed to him on the wing.

Reactions: moogoo and Kenny
Yeah listen if we're going to get robbed like that, then screw this BS competition. Barraza had a shocker on their goal -- he needs to make that save. Talles had a bunch of great chances, Bakrar had that chance, then the Haak goal. I felt the same way after the Leagues Cup game vs Pumas where there was debatable officiating. This was ridiculous. The defending player absolutely plays that ball. Haak is onside when he does. That's never offsides, and to take 5 minutes to come to a decision is farcical.

We played pretty well -- still frustrating at times in the buildup, but we did some good things. On a less unlucky night we win that game easily. We were robbed tonight.

Good on Nick for what he said in the press conference.

Questionable VAR. Barazza was poor (how can he never catch anything cleanly?). Another loss. Not much more to take from that game.

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather see them push for a win on Wednesday. Actual games with new players are needed more than player rest before the final 10 games of the regular season. Start Bakrar and Freese and go for it.

One more thing. Magno, IMO, played the best he has in weeks. No judgment on value of conract, DP status, etc. Just nice to see him show sparks again.

Scrolling through tweets with “NYCFC” in them tonight and I’ve seen the same image of an Atlas logo superimposed over the first plane crashing into the trade center 6-7 times.
Plus lots of accusations of NYCFC fans chanting pvta at the end of the game.

Gotta love the Leagues Cup

Weird thing is, they blasted music every single goal kick so you couldn't hear anyone make that chant tonight.

20230724_003128.jpg
Don't crucify me, but I think Haak is barely offside. It's not 100% clear if the ball comes off Sands or the defender, but I think the refs may have gotten it right.

I could be convinced that the evidence wasn't enough to overturn the call.

Sorry for the low-tech review of the call. Best I could do.

View attachment 12909
Don't crucify me, but I think Haak is barely offside. It's not 100% clear if the ball comes off Sands or the defender, but I think the refs may have gotten it right.

Bad angle. It doesn't matter who it comes off of there. Simply that it came off of someone who was deliberately playing it. On the other angle it seems pretty clear that the second most top defender kept haak onside by a foot.

Definitely too close to overturn a goal call on the field in any case

Reactions: Gene
View attachment 12909

It is certainly not enough evidence to overturn that goal. My issue is that there isn't enough evidence, and I think if the defender intentionally plays it (which he clearly does), then it's not offsides. I simply don't understand how they came to that call.

I haven't seen the second angle. If someone can post a screenshot, I'd appreciate it.

Thinking more about it, it is harsh to overturn the call on the field with the evidence not being that clear and obvious.

I haven't seen the second angle. If someone can post a screenshot, I'd appreciate it.

Thinking more about it, it is harsh to overturn the call on the field with the evidence not being that clear and obvious.

Also it appears they called it offsides based on the first ball in, not the contested header. Which also seems .... incredibly harsh, considering the contested header should have negated that offsides. If the defensive player heads it (I think he does), he deliberately plays the ball and negates the offsides. If the NYCFC player plays it, it's not offsides. The ruling makes no sense.

The only way that is offside is if there is no touch after the initial header. If none, then Haak is off.

If there is a touch, regardless of who touches, he is on due to the far defender.

In any case, unless there is some mystery feed unavailable to the public, it is not clear and obvious - and the five minute delay confirms that.

Should’ve been a shootout, resulting in one point after Barraza fumbled a save into the net.

Reactions: moogoo and BC19
Not really a Cushing Out guy as I feel most of the mess falls on Lee. I think if we go out against Toronto he’s needs to go and you have 3 weeks to get a new coach installed and up to speed

Yeah - every single goal kick. They played a song I didn't recognize on the first kick, then switched to We Will Rock You.
Yeah, this is what I could have sworn I heard on the broadcast and was confused. Interesting

Yeah, this is what I could have sworn I heard on the broadcast and was confused. Interesting

I didn't put it together at first.

There was an early goal kick and some Spanish language song was played. A few minutes later, my wife gets back to the seats with the kids and Shake Shack (thank you Citi Field) and asked what Chanot said before the game. I told her about the chant and how they are having these speeches before games against Mexico and Mexican clubs. One minute later the 'We will rock you' came on during a goal kick and it clicked.

It felt so weird in the stadium having that noise pumped in.

Reactions: Shwafta