Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

You know what gets me all bummed out? That we're going to lose Angelino. Is there anyway in hell that NYCFC can sign this kid permanently?

I know. He's the real deal. Maybe he loves it here and MCFC sees his game develop. Hopefully we get to have him another year.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Two side notes after watching it back on TV...the field looked like crap and the SG was probably the loudest I've heard.

Oh and I think it was better having City Beats on the opposite end...though I think they need to work with the SG not against them. They need to figure out some coordinating chats and call backs.

We've finally unleashed Mix. The difference was obvious, but bears repeating. He's a goddamn good player. He can be that player for us now.

I vehemently disagree with your assessment that Prilo can't play defense. I saw him stop more attacks with pure positioning than AJ has stopped all year. He just stops them before they start. Make no mistake. He made us more solid on defense, as well. I loved that man before. But even having been to EPL and UCL matches before, I have never seen a player so damn smart. He's incredible. The man very well may have all those years left in him. Guaran-damn-tee you he'll play for the Azurri in Euros. He's one of a kind. I can't even describe it.

Agreed he sometimes was in a spot where it almost looked like OC passed it to him playing D.

This is my point. Vila is not a captain. Pirlo, by God, that man is a captain. Fifty times over.captains bark orders. Villa barks objections over his perceived wasted chances. Meanwhile, as I said, I've personally watched him shit the bed on at least 5 one on ones right in front of my season tickets.

Yet he still acts as though he's flawless.

You see Pirlo take that yellow after he gave it away? Name one goddamned time Villa did that. He doesn't. He's a luxe attacker. He's not a captain. But he is a hell of a lot more of one than Lampard, just by showing up.

Again, Pirlo is a god. He's already the captain of this team regardless of who has the armband. He changed the way the entire team plays. We're a real team with him.

I agree

TUUUUUUUUUURRRNNNNN UPPPPPPPPPPP.
HOLY SHIT. I just finished the game. Had it saved on dvr. It's 2:30 am everyone is asleep and I have to be up at 7. My emotions. I silently celebrated each goal and once I saw Kaka line up for that FK, I had flashbacks from our season opener. That shit looked like it was going in and HOLY SHIT my heart stopped, it hit the post and I was trying to catch my breath again until the counter attack which lead to Villa-Poku-Mix and I fucking lost it. We need this win and what a way to win. Angelino's assist to Villa, PIRLO, Villa, Mix and POKU!!! I'm too happy to rant about useless Wingert costing us a sub so fucking early into the game. Bestest game EVER!!!!!!
19b0w0223b1u8gif.gif

You know what gets me all bummed out? That we're going to lose Angelino. Is there anyway in hell that NYCFC can sign this kid permanently?
I've said this before, but no chance! MCFC have him pencilled in as their future first team left back. Maybe NYCFC can take him on loan again but my bet is that MCFC will want to test him in a better league next year (La Liga/EPL/Ligue 1).

Facey on the other hand could stay as I don't think MCFC have any plans for him long term.

Reactions: Drainyoo
TUUUUUUUUUURRRNNNNN UPPPPPPPPPPP.
HOLY SHIT. I just finished the game. Had it saved on dvr. It's 2:30 am everyone is asleep and I have to be up at 7. My emotions. I silently celebrated each goal and once I saw Kaka line up for that FK, I had flashbacks from our season opener. That shit looked like it was going in and HOLY SHIT my heart stopped, it hit the post and I was trying to catch my breath again until the counter attack which lead to Villa-Poku-Mix and I fucking lost it. We need this win and what a way to win. Angelino's assist to Villa, PIRLO, Villa, Mix and POKU!!! I'm too happy to rant about useless Wingert costing us a sub so fucking early into the game. Bestest game EVER!!!!!!
19b0w0223b1u8gif.gif
I was womdering where the hell you were.

Reactions: Kjbert and NickA
I can't figure out what the hell Villa was doing there. It was obnoxiously offside, and for no damn good reason.
I think some of that is because we play in a baseball stadium. The grass is cut straight across the outfield, meaning it's at a weird angle for a soccer field, and the stands are also at odd angles and distances. When you're running full out I can see how on occasion you might not realize where you actually are. Even the announcers had to look at the replay a few times. At first they didn't think he was offside but on the replay you could see he was off by 10 feet easy. It's far worse at the other end of the field, too.

I think some of that is because we play in a baseball stadium. The grass is cut straight across the outfield, meaning it's at a weird angle for a soccer field, and the stands are also at odd angles and distances. When you're running full out I can see how on occasion you might not realize where you actually are. Even the announcers had to look at the replay a few times. At first they didn't think he was offside but on the replay you could see he was off by 10 feet easy. It's far worse at the other end of the field, too.
Good point.

--------------

Consolidating here:
I think Villa is a great player. I should not have used the term "hard worker". Grinder would have been better.

Well I missed this match up until the 75th minute but from what I saw of 3rd and 4th goal Pirlo is dominant in the midfield. Those 2 passes to set up assists were clutch! Every ball is pinpoint.

[voopl=2015-07-26][/voopl]
Ballouchy deserved more love. Didn't even play a full hour and led the team in tackles and interceptions.

We were clicking today in stack and defense with the exception of a few moments. I'll chalk up the goals allowed to a new player thrown in at the beginning of the game.

Got back home and was in such a buoyant mood that I watched it again on FS2Go and laughed hysterically at the dramatic irony of the commentators expressing doubt about Pirlo as an appropriate DP.

Really interesting to read this thread and observe the emergence of the micro-debates. To weigh in on some of them:
  • Having a striker as the keystone of one's team always feels slightly off. A top class striker is rarely going to be the guy who structures your play. That said, timing dictated that Villa was our first player and captain, and he's been incredible. It's odd to me that for some posters, the joy of seeing Pirlo position our less tactically educated team mates seems to be incompatible with admitting that Villa is also delivering the goods. Be happy.
  • An ideal CDM passes well, tackles well, positions himself well and has reasonable feet. Jacobsen is awful at everything except for the part about feet. Puzzling player. His distribution is so slow sometimes that our movement in midfield completely shuts down. Why make a run when Jacobsen has the ball? You're not gonna get it.
  • Mena, Pirlo and Iraola all got taken apart on this thread for their defending but did a lot of it with superior positioning today. The play where Rivas shot when most thought he might have played in Kaká was actually superb positioning by Mena, I thought. There was no angle. We are always getting caught on counter attacks but I attribute it to a lot of our midfielders and forward players not pressing effectively. If you look at most teams that play with full backs deployed that far up the field, they're able to snuff out counter attacks by preventing clearances and through balls by pressing. A lot of the time you'll see Villa screaming and gesticulating at his midfielders and forward partners because they're not working hard enough to get the ball back high up the field. Then again, pressing in the heat isn't that sustainable so maybe we need to adapt a little.
  • Thought Calle was very promising albeit a little rusty. He has a guile on the ball that most of our midfielders lack. Some great combinations with Angelino. Finally, a midfielder who can play a 1-2!
Great post

Yeah Villa was off by a mile. Also larins 3rd came as a result of a Poku turnover I believe. A piss poor one at that in our own half.
Not only was Villa off by a mile, he was off by a mile from the moment Poku got the ball. I was a bit disappointed by that. But you've gotta toe the line to give yourself every advantage. Our counter was potent in the midfield and I'm sure Villa was salivating over that in the second half.

First one arguable should have been saved. Did Saunders think he could shoot right through the defender? I presume he's not that dense, so why leave Larin that near post?
Post game Saunders commented that he wishes he could do the first goal over. His other two big low saves were game changers, both coming at critical points in the game.

I think a lot of the folks who never doubt his play aren't in the stadium, though. It's not a criticism of them. It's just the difference between being able to see more of the field or what TV shows.

And this brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why does the TV show so little of the field? This is a problem with a lot of sports. We've all got 50-inch, high def, wide screens these days, but the games are still filmed in the same way they were when all anyone had was a 19-inch, black-and-white box. Time to really recreate the stadium experience and show not just the ball, but all the people upfield who could receive it.