[2014] Loan Watch

Lampard needs to be at MLS camp and has to be there for game #1. Anything else is unacceptable.

Reactions: Kjbert
Just thought I'd throw in there that AJ played in the Norwegian cup semi-final yesterday. Which they lost 1-0.

He didn't achieve that much out on the wing, but had a few good crosses into the box and a some decent raids down the right side. I'd give him a 6/10 on his performance. In his defence they played the best team in Norway which is a miniature version of Man City and Chelsea and they were defending for most of the match.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
So Australia's A-League starts next week. So guess who hasn't appeared in any practice, pre-season friendly or photo- op? But has appeared at many NYCFC & MLS events recently?

I'm convinced David Villa is not going on loan to Melbourne. Please, tell me I'm wrong.

This is the only article I could find saying he is still coming:

City has already left their mark in recruiting Villa, Spain's all-time leading goal scorer, albeit for a 10-game guest stint.

The striker should arrive in Melbourne around the first week of October and his quota of games before Christmas could well take in two derbies against Victory.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/foo...054446138?nk=6fd099d2e4a40811be69697f80d5fe69

Yeah I guess this Aussie DP thing isn't what I expected. It's more like 10 games, 8 weeks. I imagined he would be more involved like Lampard, Jacobsen and Saunders are with their loans.

San Antonio end their regular season on November 1. Have no idea how the NASL playoffs work after that, so Saunders has at least a month and maybe a couple of weeks after that to go.

San Antonio end their regular season on November 1. Have no idea how the NASL playoffs work after that, so Saunders has at least a month and maybe a couple of weeks after that to go.
I don't think they even have play offs anymore unless they changed it again. Last year it was some wonky split season where the team with the highest points in the first half of the season played the team with the highest points in the second half for the title. It's how the Cosmos managed to win it despite only playing half a season.

NASL just wants to be awkward just for the sake of being awkward it seems sometimes.

Yeah, they changed it again. Winners of the Fall and Spring season get in along with the teams that have 3rd and 4th best records overall for a 4 team playoff. Now what happens if any given team falls under two categories is beyond me.

Pretty funny how NASL fanboys were all over the 'net a year ago spluging how "authentic and real" their league is because they're a single table league don't do playoffs like crappy MLS .......even though they did and do.

Yeah I guess this Aussie DP thing isn't what I expected. It's more like 10 games, 8 weeks. I imagined he would be more involved like Lampard, Jacobsen and Saunders are with their loans.

You're getting confused between DPs and guests in the A-League.

In the A-League, you get three DPs (they call them marquees): an Australian player of any age, an Australian player of 23 years or younger, and an international player of any age. Melbourne City have Robert Koren as their international marquee, and don't have either of the two Aussie marquee slots filled - perhaps in part because rumours abound that they are planning to sign Josh Kennedy from Nagoya Grampus as soon as the J-League ends, which is conveniently exactly when Villa returns to NYC (Kennedy is a striker).

You can also have precisely one guest player in a season, and Villa is their guest player. Guests, as said several times in the various sources, get exactly 10 games and no more. Rumours and confusion abound about whether the 10 games are from the day the player turns up at the club, or have to be consecutive, and so on, leading to all kinds of rumours about whether Villa is being held back from turning up in Melbourne simply to force his guest stint to begin in round two, allowing him to face fierce rivals Melbourne Victory twice. For my money, though, CFG are simply out-of-their-heads paranoid that Villa is going to be injured by a player during one of Melbourne's friendlies against lower-league teams (who are little better in standard than amateur Sunday league teams, and really can't be trusted to tackle a World Cup winner without breaking a bone or two).

You're getting confused between DPs and guests in the A-League.

In the A-League, you get three DPs (they call them marquees): an Australian player of any age, an Australian player of 23 years or younger, and an international player of any age. Melbourne City have Robert Koren as their international marquee, and don't have either of the two Aussie marquee slots filled - perhaps in part because rumours abound that they are planning to sign Josh Kennedy from Nagoya Grampus as soon as the J-League ends, which is conveniently exactly when Villa returns to NYC (Kennedy is a striker).

You can also have precisely one guest player in a season, and Villa is their guest player. Guests, as said several times in the various sources, get exactly 10 games and no more. Rumours and confusion abound about whether the 10 games are from the day the player turns up at the club, or have to be consecutive, and so on, leading to all kinds of rumours about whether Villa is being held back from turning up in Melbourne simply to force his guest stint to begin in round two, allowing him to face fierce rivals Melbourne Victory twice. For my money, though, CFG are simply out-of-their-heads paranoid that Villa is going to be injured by a player during one of Melbourne's friendlies against lower-league teams (who are little better in standard than amateur Sunday league teams, and really can't be trusted to tackle a World Cup winner without breaking a bone or two).
I'm not really confused, I know there is a difference. I guess I just expect Villa to actually be training in Australia right now with Melbourne as they get ready for their season. Seems like he is more like a celebrity pitch hitter. Anyways, I hope it keeps him sharp and he doesn't get hurt.

At least this way he gets all of December-January to himself. Very nice.

Part of me hopes, the whole Lampard conundrum is a plot by CFG to show that NYCFC is not just a pawn for Man City to skirt FFP. Also it only increases Lampard's stock to NYCFC as it shows he's not finished despite his age if the EPL club he's loaned to tries to keep him longer. CFG would have to be major assholes to blatantly use a backdoor to FFP and prove everyone right. Methinks Frank returns when he is due, and that's the end of it. I hope.

Btw - you know who is even more pissed off than we are? Don Garber and the Steinbrenners.

Reactions: einwindir