[2014] Loan Watch

I fell asleep in the 70th?? Minute. Must have missed the goal.

Has Melbourne City won any game yet or all draws? Maybe they need to upgrade the defense too.
They've played twice so far, both 1-1 draws.
Most Melbourne City fans are pretty disappointed that the manager didn't address the obvious issues.
They have a pretty strong midfield (Damien Duff, Robert Koren, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Erik Paartalu, Nate Dugandzic etc.) hence the high levels of possession and their control of games. They're centre-back pairing of Wielaert and Kisnorbo is also pretty solid.
However, they have consistantly played Iain Ramsay (a left winger) out of position at left back and have persisted with Andrew Redmayne in goal, who is evidently not good enough.
The other issue is that they don't really have any strikers. Other than Villa, they use David Williams or Nate Dugandzic as make-shift centre forwards when really they are better out wide. They will struggle for goals if they don't sign Josh "Jesus" Kennedy in January (as their Aussie marquee).

Thank you. That's good news.

I'm hoping he gets shut down soon anyway. I would like him to have a break before he joins us.

Thank you. That's good news.

I'm hoping he gets shut down soon anyway. I would like him to have a break before he joins us.

There are five months before the MLS season starts. Even if he only left England on the last day of 2014, he would still have a good 5 or 6 weeks between his last game here and his first game over there. He has all the time in the world.

So apparently Australians are upset we're calling back Villa for the jersey unveiling which I find laughable. He's our marquee player, doing a guest stint, not your fucking player. We don't owe you shit. Some dude had the nerve to call MLS a plastic league. From a fan of the A-League? That's fucking rich. My only issue is had Lampard not gotten injured, would we have called him back from Manchester for the jersey unveiling if we even are.

Reactions: Kjbert and Drainyoo
So apparently Australians are upset we're calling back Villa for the jersey unveiling which I find laughable. He's our marquee player, doing a guest stint, not your fucking player. We don't owe you shit. Some dude had the nerve to call MLS a plastic league. From a fan of the A-League? That's fucking rich. My only issue is had Lampard not gotten injured, would we have called him back from Manchester for the jersey unveiling if we even are.
Yea I have not been too impressed by our Aussie cousins. From that clown who came on here complaining about the scarves to the way they are acting now....I wanted to leave a spot open in my heart (no pun intended) for them, but they kind of turned me off.

Melbourne City is essentially an expansion team that hasn't taken root in Australia. It's akin to rooting for the Mets.

Probably isn't fair to judge a fan base off of a couple of guys on the internet. I'd probably be pissed if I was in their shoes as well.

In fairness, look at it from Melbourne City's side:

- They got bought in January and their fans spent several months dreaming of the possibilities.
- When it finally came to summer, CFG found it harder than expected to recruit top players, to the point where they still haven't filled all of their DP "marquee" slots.
- They were expecting a total revamp of the team but actually 80% of their players are the same ones lining up for them last season.
- Their top long-term signing is Robert Koren, who has promptly been injured and ruled out of the start of the season - incidentally, the exact same thing happened to their international marquee last season, and they lost him for half a season that time.
- Then they hear that they've signed Villa on loan and they are ecstatic, believing they'll have him until February - about 15 games out of 27.
- Then they hear it's just a guest spell, maximum 10 games.
- Then he doesn't turn up to pre-season training. He barely even makes it to the last of their promotional events, two weeks before the start of the season.
- Then the season starts to a series of poor results and they find out that he might leave after only three games.

I don't think it's that hard to work out why they're upset.

Reactions: whill4
In fairness, look at it from Melbourne City's side:

- They got bought in January and their fans spent several months dreaming of the possibilities.
- When it finally came to summer, CFG found it harder than expected to recruit top players, to the point where they still haven't filled all of their DP "marquee" slots.
- They were expecting a total revamp of the team but actually 80% of their players are the same ones lining up for them last season.
- Their top long-term signing is Robert Koren, who has promptly been injured and ruled out of the start of the season - incidentally, the exact same thing happened to their international marquee last season, and they lost him for half a season that time.
- Then they hear that they've signed Villa on loan and they are ecstatic, believing they'll have him until February - about 15 games out of 27.
- Then they hear it's just a guest spell, maximum 10 games.
- Then he doesn't turn up to pre-season training. He barely even makes it to the last of their promotional events, two weeks before the start of the season.
- Then the season starts to a series of poor results and they find out that he might leave after only three games.

I don't think it's that hard to work out why they're upset.

It is a tough scene being a fan in a place like Australia. The A-League makes the MLS look like the EpL is some ways. I don't get too worked up about their anger, it's just unfortunate how it gets played out. They have a chance to see a legit star and it's being reduced almost daily.

I wonder if it's Villa who wants to leave and marketing is the excuse to cover it up? Just seems so bizarre. Surely they had all of this planned out well in advance to make sure there wasn't conflicts with dates.

I'm with CFG. They are trying to build a winning program, not just a flash in the pan. I'm sure they want to have the preeminent Academy in all of Australia. They want to feed the Socceroos. That's a 10-20 year process.

I wonder if it's Villa who wants to leave and marketing is the excuse to cover it up? Just seems so bizarre. Surely they had all of this planned out well in advance to make sure there wasn't conflicts with dates.
Of course they had if planned out. There's no margin for error with NYCFC, everything has to be thought out meticulously

Reactions: Kjbert
So apparently NYCFC might train (at Etihad campus) and play some pre season games in England to accommodate any extension of Lampard's loan. Now obviously training at that facility shouldn't be a problem but do people possibly want NYCFC's first game to be against someone like Doncaster? Obviously it will be a bonus personally to see NYCFC play some games in England but the first game should be more prestigious. I've said before that's matter for the Third Rail to take up with the club.

Or maybe its just me who thinks it should even be an issue. I don't know but the first game should be at YS against prestigious opposition. That's what the fans deserve.

This is something you learned from a 3R meeting or some other source?

Doncaster seems like a MLS-level team. I would put most MLS clubs as strong Championship clubs. So a recently demoted Doncaster might be perfect for a brand new MLS roster. You want what's best for the team not a glamor game to sell tickets.

Not sure where the original comment came from (initially read it on Daily Mail site) but this makes note of it...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...stay-and-could-face-Arsenal-and-Chelsea-again

I'm just surprised the 3R (and other non affiliated) don't seem to have considered it important that the majority of fans witness the first game in person. I probably won't be at the first game anyway so I'm only trying to make suggestions that are best for the majority. After all I'm not one of the people who will be able to attend every game or even close to it. Infact if they play the first ever game in England the chance of me attending would be astronomically higher. I believe the only reason far more people haven't really thought about it is because of the timing. It probably hasn't occurred to people that they might be unable to attend the first game.

This isn't and won't be a normal pre season programme. There probably is no ideal way to start when the players barely know other.

They might end up playing the games behind closed doors anyway though that's just my own assumption.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't view it as any sort of big deal at all.........but of course that's just my two cents worth.