2016 CCL: MLS vs. LigaMX battle royale

I'm not sure if it was just the astounding speed of Club America and their forwards/ midfield, but the Sounders CBs looked incredibly slow. I know they aren't in top season mode just yet, but damn they were getting burnt left and right. A few tight offside calls, one of which was onside, and this game could've been over before the second leg. Gives me some hope of potentially having Khiry and Taylor, if they're playing, running circles around their CB's (Evans and Marshall, I think?).
I know Evans was there last night, but isn't he usually a RB? Or is that what he has played with the USMNT? Or am I misremembering here?

I'm not sure if it was just the astounding speed of Club America and their forwards/ midfield, but the Sounders CBs looked incredibly slow. I know they aren't in top season mode just yet, but damn they were getting burnt left and right. A few tight offside calls, one of which was onside, and this game could've been over before the second leg. Gives me some hope of potentially having Khiry and Taylor, if they're playing, running circles around their CB's (Evans and Marshall, I think?).

I agree. I never really perceived Evans and Marshall as being slow in the past, but they were left hung out to dry frequently last night.

They're rusty because they haven't played a high-intensity game yet this year. They're still relatively in preseason mode, and most of the players haven't played a full 90 minutes with the entire starting roster. If they have played a full match together, it's against a lower level team in the preseason. Even if they have a preseason match against a fellow MLS team, the other team is probably figuring out tactics, who works out best where, and fitness.

Yes, they do have time to rest, but their bodies aren't exactly at 100% fitness and ability vs. how they would feel if they were in the middle of the season, or even the first 5-8 weeks of the season. Games every 3-4 days isn't the easiest thing to do, but the Mexican teams are in much better shape for handling it at this point in the season, being that they're already 7 weeks into their regular season.
I just don't understand how professional sports players aren't prepared to play a competitive after having 3 months to rest and prepare for this moment. It's not like their an ameture team that hasn't played together before. These guys are professionals who should have the skill and the ability to preform at a high level no matter when they play or who they play with.

Santos Laguna, the Mexican team playing Galaxy tonight, are a young squad with very little depth. The fact that they play a game league game over the weekend could drastically alter the way that they play tonight. Galaxy, on the other hand, can afford to play their best possible lineup for the whole 90 minutes should that be necessary. They also have the luxury of being able to turn the game into quick fast paced action that could tire out the thin squad that Santos Laguna have. The Galaxy should be able to compete if not win this game because of their lineup and the disadvantage that Santos has playing in the league and cup right now.

RSL - Tigres anyone? Waiting for Wingert to make his appearance.

I just don't understand how professional sports players aren't prepared to play a competitive after having 3 months to rest and prepare for this moment. It's not like their an ameture team that hasn't played together before. These guys are professionals who should have the skill and the ability to preform at a high level no matter when they play or who they play with.

Santos Laguna, the Mexican team playing Galaxy tonight, are a young squad with very little depth. The fact that they play a game league game over the weekend could drastically alter the way that they play tonight. Galaxy, on the other hand, can afford to play their best possible lineup for the whole 90 minutes should that be necessary. They also have the luxury of being able to turn the game into quick fast paced action that could tire out the thin squad that Santos Laguna have. The Galaxy should be able to compete if not win this game because of their lineup and the disadvantage that Santos has playing in the league and cup right now.
Bro, lol, stop.

No team on planet Earth wants to play their hardest game of the season against a midseason team at 8000 ft above sea-level for their first competitive game.

How many buts will be in the seats for an LA CCL match?

Good karma. Shitty call. Shitty PK and easy save.

Beckerman's arm was almost straight back behind him. That's a very clever way to get a handball.

Reactions: adam
Good karma. Shitty call. Shitty PK and easy save.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that was a handball regardless of wether or not it was intentional. Central American referees tend to call hand ball just about every time a ball hits a player anywhere near the arm/hand.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that was a handball regardless of wether or not it was intentional. Central American referees tend to call hand ball just about every time a ball hits a player anywhere near the arm/hand.

His arm was behind his body

Bro, lol, stop.

No team on planet Earth wants to play their hardest game of the season against a midseason team at 8000 ft above sea-level for their first competitive game.
No team on planet earth wants to travel over 2,000 miles to play an away cup game in the middle of the week with league action a few days afterwards.

And RSL still pressing. Can't wait for Wingert to come in and assist in the game winner. He's someone I'd build a team around.

Reactions: sbrylski