2016 CCL: MLS vs. LigaMX battle royale

Wow and right back. This is a fun one! I paid $15 for NYC - Koge, but got this shit for free!!!

Reactions: Lasker and BossNYC
I agree, it's time CCL gets the right billing.
If every game was this exciting they would have no problem promoting this tournament. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the blowouts in the group stage because the tiny Caribbean teams just can't compete with Mexican or American teams.

Reactions: adam and BossNYC
True, what we really need is a united Concacaf/Conmebol tournament.

I think that would be a game-changer for this hemisphere.

Reactions: adam
If every game was this exciting they would have no problem promoting this tournament. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the blowouts in the group stage because the tiny Caribbean teams just can't compete with Mexican or American teams.

There's something appealing about a big team traveling to a small carribean nation or the small team coming to a big stadium for the first time. If they could do a real HBO sports/Olympic style background of the players, backstory and follow them up to kickoff, it could be a real human interest story and garner much more attention. Also, always looking forward to the final and graphics highlighting to the audience exactly where we are in the tournament. There's so much that can be done, especially for the 'smaller' matches.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99

Which is why the need to bring back the preliminary round. Give the Caribbean teams a chance, but weed them out right away.

You'll end up with ~8 USA/CAN/MEX teams and ~8 Central American teams in a 16-team group stage.

True, what we really need is a united Concacaf/Conmebol tournament.

I think that would be a game-changer for this hemisphere.

As awesome as it sounds, I don't buy that this is realistic yet. Both logistically and competitively. If it was combined, I feel like it would be weakly done by just having the last few knockout rounds mixed, and most CONCACAF teams would get knocked out right away.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Goool de Sounders! Dempsy heads the corner home.

Really poor work by the keeper on a rather tame header.

América blows a great opportunity to equalize after the shot from center of the box flies wide.

Goool de Sounders! Dempsy heads the corner home.

Really poor work by the keeper on a rather tame header.

Between that goal and Morris' almost header, Seattle had been killing them on the corners.

Which is why the need to bring back the preliminary round. Give the Caribbean teams a chance, but weed them out right away.

You'll end up with ~8 USA/CAN/MEX teams and ~8 Central American teams in a 16-team group stage.

To add to my argument, look at these groups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_CONCACAF_Champions_League

4 USA
4 MEX
1 CAN
7 Central American teams

All Caribbean clubs bounced during the preliminary round, plus five Central American teams. It worked perfect, but MLS didn't even have it's *own* solid TV deal yet, and teams didn't want to travel so much. Time is ripe to go back to this format though, and play it in one calendar year.

Reactions: adam
Between that goal and Morris' almost header, Seattle had been killing them on the corners.
I think that America have arguably been the better team in the open field. They just haven't finished off their chances.

To add to my argument, look at these groups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_CONCACAF_Champions_League

4 USA
4 MEX
1 CAN
7 Central American teams

All Caribbean clubs bounced during the preliminary round, plus five Central American teams. It worked perfect, but MLS didn't even have it's *own* solid TV deal yet, and teams didn't want to travel so much. Time is ripe to go back to this format though, and play it in one calendar year.

Yeah, that would work out well. We'll see...