2016 Summer Player Non-nycfc Activity

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Rather than having an individual thread for each player or competition, let's aggregate it all to here. Euro 2016, Copa America 100, and other international matches will impact NYCFC greatly in the coming months.

David Villa isn't ruling out playing again for Spain (after retiring following the collapse in Brazil in 2014).

Spain, ironically enough, is looking for an in-form striker. Costa has played poorly this year. Morata has struggled. I was watching Valencia the other day and they were talking about the Valencia Striker being given a shot.

Who is in play for one of the summer tournaments?

Pirlo - Italy - Euro 2016
Villa - Spain - Euro 2016
Mix - USA - Copa America
Matarrita - Costa Rica - Copa America
Shelton - USA - Olympics

There are no major African competitions this summer that might involve Poku. World Cup Qualifying gets started in Africa during the international dates in October and November.

Mix - USA - Copa America
Shelton - USA - Olympics

There are no major African competitions this summer that might involve Poku. World Cup Qualifying gets started in Africa during the international dates in October and November.

Mix - USA - Copa America
Shelton - USA - Olympics

Also, don't forget that there is also WC Qualifying. We could lose Mix and Matarrita for those. I doubt Pirlo, Villa, or Shelton will be called up for any of those matches.

The draw for the group stages of the African World Cup Qualifying is at the end of June, not sure when the matches would begin for those. I guess there is a shot Poku could get called up for matches near the end of the season, but we'll have a lot of time before that can happen. If Poku gets called up, however, I'm sure he its because he's having a fantastic season :)

Edit: for some reason my mind blocked out where you brought up WC Qualifying for Africa...

Reactions: Kjbert
I haven't checked the World Cup Qualifying dates against our schedule, but MLS tends to run a reduced schedule on FIFA International Dates. Last year, I think we had 1-2 early on, but then had games off for the dates in September and October.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert