2017 Referee Points of Emphasis

Dang.

"According to Walton, referees “won’t condone” players or coaches who react to calls with “arms thrown in the air” or by racing “after an official to berate them.”

^Vieira was already sent off maybe 2 or 3 times last season. I imagine this situation getting worse. FWIW, I've never really figured out exactly what he was saying or doing that was so bad. Would be great if it happened while he was mic'd up.

Having said that, we tend to perform well when he's suspended :)

Dang.

"According to Walton, referees “won’t condone” players or coaches who react to calls with “arms thrown in the air” or by racing “after an official to berate them.”

^Vieira was already sent off maybe 2 or 3 times last season. I imagine this situation getting worse. FWIW, I've never really figured out exactly what he was saying or doing that was so bad. Would be great if it happened while he was mic'd up.

Having said that, we tend to perform well when he's suspended :)
I really do like that rule. I wouldn't take that shit if I was a referee.

That said, not great for our team. Good thing Bravo and Iraola are no longer here.

Iraola was never a dirty player or anything, but he loved yelling at the ref.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...eals-four-new-points-emphasis-2017-mls-season

Thoughts on which of our guys might get the most caught up in some of these?
I hope they follow through on yellows for delaying restarts. Can stand when an opponent kicks a ball past the other team rather than leaving it. I can see the refs enforcing this like a quota, they'll give 1 or two out but then stop and won't give somebody their second yellow for it even if deserved.

As far as NYCFC, we "should" benefit a lot from the holding in the box. Last year Brillant and Villa were constantly mugged and they got zilch.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I really do like that rule. I wouldn't take that shit if I was a referee.

That said, not great for our team. Good thing Bravo and Iraola are no longer here.

Iraola was never a dirty player or anything, but he loved yelling at the ref.
Over time, probably because this rule isn't adequately enforced, one starts to think about and appreciate working the referee as a technique – the same way one might appreciate a well-executed Cruyff turn or an exquisite first touch. Hell, I love working the referee and I loved watching Iraola work the referee. I know referees who enjoy that part of the game too.

There's a fine line between that kind of gamesmanship and outright disrespect though, and it's difficult to articulate as a rule.

I hope they follow through on yellows for delaying restarts. Can stand when an opponent kicks a ball past the other team rather than leaving it. I can see the refs enforcing this like a quota, they'll give 1 or two out but then stop and won't give somebody their second yellow for it even if deserved.

As far as NYCFC, we "should" benefit a lot from the holding in the box. Last year Brillant and Villa were constantly mugged and they got zilch.
TMac is really bad at this. But hopefully he won't be playing much anyways.

TMac is really bad at this. But hopefully he won't be playing much anyways.
Card him too! He disappears so much in games that two yellows for kicking the ball away won't be much different.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
So player gets a yellow for a challenge and then throws his arms in the air as in "What, I got a yellow?!?" Would they then get a second yellow?

I do however like the idea of giving yellows for stoppage of player by an opponents standing on top of the ball during restarts after fouls.

What's the over/under on Marsch getting tossed bitching from the sidelines, 7? Surely he has to be the most argumentative & dismissive of refs' decisions.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
What's the over/under on Marsch getting tossed bitching from the sidelines, 7? Surely he has to be the most argumentative & dismissive of refs' decisions.

It will probably be only once or twice, but it surely should be more. There isn't more a crybaby bitch in this league than him.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam