2018 Schedule

MLS Cup Playoff Schedule
Oct 31-Nov 1: Knockout Round (2 games each night)
Nov. 4: Conf Semi Leg 1
Nov. 11: Conf Semi Leg 2
Nov. 25: Conf Final Leg 1
Nov. 29: Conf Final Leg 2
Dec. 8: MLS Cup on FOX, UniMás.

MLB wildcard 10/2 or 10/3 yanks will most prob host. So no way we play knockout at YS.

Games 3-4 of ALDS would be 10/7 & 10/9. If we’d host leg 1. That’s doesnt bode well either.

Citi field playoffs?

MLB wildcard 10/2 or 10/3 yanks will most prob host. So no way we play knockout at YS.

Games 3-4 of ALDS would be 10/7 & 10/9. If we’d host leg 1. That’s doesnt bode well either.

Citi field playoffs?
Isn't it a little early for the blue beer?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
But didn't they reschedule a game last year before the Yankees didn't qualify for the World Series? I'm not certain they have to make the World Series for another reschedule
I am pretty sure it was that the Yankees didn't want us using the field while they were still in the Playoffs, so I think if any game was rescheduled, it'd end up being the Philly game. It does leave 31 Oct or 1 Nov open, too, depending on who is hosting the World Series, since game 7 is the 31st.

But didn't they reschedule a game last year before the Yankees didn't qualify for the World Series? I'm not certain they have to make the World Series for another reschedule

i think word at the time was that MLB themselves prevents anyone to use the field other than playoff games until team was eliminated.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
I am pretty sure it was that the Yankees didn't want us using the field while they were still in the Playoffs, so I think if any game was rescheduled, it'd end up being the Philly game. It does leave 31 Oct or 1 Nov open, too, depending on who is hosting the World Series, since game 7 is the 31st.

Our last game was rescheduled before the Yankees were eliminated because if they did make the World Series, they wanted to be able to prepare the field, and they couldn't do that if we had a game in between.

Turns out that it wasn't an issue, but given the advance notice required to move the game, they went ahead and pulled the trigger.

May have been discussed, but what happens if the Yankees host a game seven on October 31, and we host the knock-out game on November 1?

May have been discussed, but what happens if the Yankees host a game seven on October 31, and we host the knock-out game on November 1?
I don't see how the NYCFC game doesn't move.
Last year, IIRC, they moved the decision day game as soon as the Yankees won the Divisional series, even though the conflict would only trigger if the Yankees won the ALCS and reached the World Series, because it would have been too late to publicize the switch and let people buy tickets, etc. By the time the decision day game played I think the Yankees lost the ALCS and there was no issue.
If the Yankees won the ALCS, I think they would have announced the knock-game would have moved, but both events transpired such that the conflict was never more than a possibility.
My point is, I don't think the decision will even wait until it becomes apparent there is a Game 7 in the WS with the Yankees in it. I think as soon as the Yankees win the ALCS (which they probably don't do) they announce a switch of the knock-out game. That would come between Oct 17 and Oct 21. But it's hard to see how the Yankees beat both the Red Sox and the Astros, especially the Astros. Unless Cleveland pulls an upset....

I don't see how the NYCFC game doesn't move.
Last year, IIRC, they moved the decision day game as soon as the Yankees won the Divisional series, even though the conflict would only trigger if the Yankees won the ALCS and reached the World Series, because it would have been too late to publicize the switch and let people buy tickets, etc. By the time the decision day game played I think the Yankees lost the ALCS and there was no issue.
If the Yankees won the ALCS, I think they would have announced the knock-game would have moved, but both events transpired such that the conflict was never more than a possibility.
My point is, I don't think the decision will even wait until it becomes apparent there is a Game 7 in the WS with the Yankees in it. I think as soon as the Yankees win the ALCS (which they probably don't do) they announce a switch of the knock-out game. That would come between Oct 17 and Oct 21. But it's hard to see how the Yankees beat both the Red Sox and the Astros, especially the Astros. Unless Cleveland pulls an upset....
Was just coming to talk about this issue.

Mark's take is entirely correct. The World Series would conflict with both games potentially. If the Yankees make it, they will have home field advantage, which means hosting potential games on Oct 30 and Oct 31. We know from last year that they won't want to turn the field for a game in the middle of the World Series, so our game on October 28 would be moved to a different location. There also won't be time to turn the field for a playoff game on Nov 1. Importantly, as Mark pointed out, they won't wait until they are sure there is a conflict to change things, as that does not leave enough time.

Was just coming to talk about this issue.

Mark's take is entirely correct. The World Series would conflict with both games potentially. If the Yankees make it, they will have home field advantage, which means hosting potential games on Oct 30 and Oct 31. We know from last year that they won't want to turn the field for a game in the middle of the World Series, so our game on October 28 would be moved to a different location. There also won't be time to turn the field for a playoff game on Nov 1. Importantly, as Mark pointed out, they won't wait until they are sure there is a conflict to change things, as that does not leave enough time.
This year I think there's even a chance that both the decision day game and the knock-out game get moved together as soon as the Yankees win the ALDS, should that happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam