2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Pretty evident without a natural striker and losing Maxi’s ability to control the game in the midfield this team is going to be pretty mediocre... Mitrita looks special but lack of possession and dangerous runs from a striker hurt him

Pretty evident without a natural striker and losing Maxi’s ability to control the game in the midfield this team is going to be pretty mediocre... Mitrita looks special but lack of possession and dangerous runs from a striker hurt him

Wait till Maxi actually plays in the Midfield to come to that conclusion. (If Dome puts him back there)

Why are we using TAM to buy down these guys to $150k?
Because you want to know how much potential cap space the team has.

Where did you get the $300k for Parks and $200k for Torres?
Estimates are color coded on the sheet. No one is going to know the exact numbers until the mlspa releases that data.

Haven't posted an update to this in a while. Don't expect it to change anytime soon. So here it is.

JF7eHF8.png

Because you want to know how much potential cap space the team has.

Estimates are color coded on the sheet. No one is going to know the exact numbers until the mlspa releases that data.

Yeah that’s why I stopped trying. TAM #s are also guesses. Worse, you can at least estimate salary based on previous years’ numbers. But they never have released exactly how much _AM has been used to buy down a players cap hit. Good work tracking all the _AM though.

If we don’t use pretend TAM buysdowns, we’re approximately $2.3mm over the cap (assuming your salary estimates are on point). And we have $4mm in TAM and at least $775k in GAM.

If I were GM I’d use as little TAM as possible to get to cap compliance and have as much TAM in reserve as possible to make some summer signings. Let’s say we’re saving the GAM for a rainy day. This season we have around $1.7mm left in TAM/cap space for the summer, unless we move a player or 2 (especially Medina) to free up some more. That’s good news, since it allows even a max $1.53mm TAM signings, if necessary.

Reactions: Kjbert
GAM is just way more valuable than TAM. It doesn't have any roster restrictions and can be used on any player. TAM can only be used on certain transactions, and has a finite window of usage. If you need more TAM you can pull forward next year's TAM.

I don't think it matters too much whether you buy down all the way like dummy or just below the max budget charge for an exercise like this. Neither are going to be actually correct. They just answer two different questions.

GAM is just way more valuable than TAM. It doesn't have any roster restrictions and can be used on any player. TAM can only be used on certain transactions, and has a finite window of usage. If you need more TAM you can pull forward next year's TAM.

I don't think it matters too much whether you buy down all the way like dummy or just below the max budget charge for an exercise like this. Neither are going to be actually correct. They just answer two different questions.

I think we’re both trying to answer the same question. How much cap space is available. As to your GAM point, that’s why I said “save the GAM for a rainy day”. My calculations were only based on TAM.

I think we’re both trying to answer the same question. How much cap space is available. As to your GAM point, that’s why I said “save the GAM for a rainy day”. My calculations were only based on TAM.
You aren't answering that question if you don't buy a TAM player down all the way to 150k.

Perhaps. I'm not really sure. I mostly meant that if Caldwell is under contract with us next year, I could see another loan out. It's pretty clear that the club sees Barraza as the one to keep around.

eh i guess. but its still same as last year where the third GK in previous year is being loaned out and the draft pick stays. Last year it was Rawls this yer its Caldwell.

Though apparently he is going up against another GK his same age and was in the RB II team last year. so spot up for grabs at memphis

Other teams are still bringing in players, after the Orlando game I really hope our FO is working to bring in a striker before this window closes. Bumping both Maxi and Ring out of position is a stop gap til summer isn't going to work.