2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
That Tenorio thread is worth reading. Here is the first post.

I find it hard to believe the league will rubber stamp after Garber came out and said publicly that LA will not get any breaks, but I guess we can't put anything past MLS.

Lalas disagrees. Lalas would be surprised if MLS actually sticks it to AEG here considering what AEG has done for the league.

At least that’s how I interpreted his Tweets

Lalas disagrees. Lalas would be surprised if MLS actually sticks it to AEG here considering what AEG has done for the league.

At least that’s how I interpreted his Tweets
I think that debt has been repaid already, probably multiple times.

I am only going by what Garber has said publicly. He looks really bad if the league doesn't follow through.

That Tenorio thread is worth reading. Here is the first post.

I find it hard to believe the league will rubber stamp after Garber came out and said publicly that LA will not get any breaks, but I guess we can't put anything past MLS.

I've never been an Open System/Pro-Rel is a must type of guy. I bought into the argument that MLS had to have all its weird rules and cap to keep itself from imploding and maintaining steady growth. But this BS is even worse than match fixing, because it's league office approved. I sure hope it doesn't happen, otherwise I'll have to think long and hard about what I'm actually rooting for here as a fan. This can't turn into WWE. The only silver lining is other GMs are voicing their disapproval on this, so maybe it leads to new leadership league wide, rather than complicity all around. And then maybe we finally get that transparency MLS has needed for years.

They’re putting the other owners in a tough position. They need to negotiate a new CBA this year.

I've never been an Open System/Pro-Rel is a must type of guy. I bought into the argument that MLS had to have all its weird rules and cap to keep itself from imploding and maintaining steady growth. But this BS is even worse than match fixing, because it's league office approved. I sure hope it doesn't happen, otherwise I'll have to think long and hard about what I'm actually rooting for here as a fan. This can't turn into WWE. The only silver lining is other GMs are voicing their disapproval on this, so maybe it leads to new leadership league wide, rather than complicity all around. And then maybe we finally get that transparency MLS has needed for years.

Honest question. I remember back in 2015, it was believed that clubs like ours had aligned themselves with a group of owners that wanted to bring more money into the league.

Where do you think Claudio falls on this one? Because this all boils down to more spending versus less spending. Chicago and New England are certainly against this.

I wonder if our alliance has changed?

Honest question. I remember back in 2015, it was believed that clubs like ours had aligned themselves with a group of owners that wanted to bring more money into the league.

Where do you think Claudio falls on this one? Because this all boils down to more spending versus less spending. Chicago and New England are certainly against this.

I wonder if our alliance has changed?

I think NYC still falls in the more spending category. But this isn't about spending more or less, it's about one team have one set of rules, and 20 odd others having a different set of rules that I'm sure they spend tons of time and money trying to be compliant with. Worse, the 1 team with its own rules gets a significant competitive advantage by getting to do things their own way.

I think NYC still falls in the more spending category. But this isn't about spending more or less, it's about one team have one set of rules, and 20 odd others having a different set of rules that I'm sure they spend tons of time and money trying to be compliant with. Worse, the 1 team with its own rules gets a significant competitive advantage by getting to do things their own way.

Counterpoint is that some teams would immediately start looking for a 4th DP (or whatever advantage is approved). It sucks for 1/2 to 1 entire season - but Atlanta and Toronto will begin looking for another player.

Does anyone else?

Counterpoint is that some teams would immediately start looking for a 4th DP (or whatever advantage is approved). It sucks for 1/2 to 1 entire season - but Atlanta and Toronto will begin looking for another player.

Does anyone else?

Why stop at 4? If they will bend the rules for 1 extra DP, why not have 6? I'd love for ATL to sign several players over $1.5mm and see what the league does. Will they kick them out? Fine them? How could they if they didn't to LAG? It's a huge lawsuit waiting to happen if just one pissed off billionaire owner decides to make a point.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why stop at 4? If they will bend the rules for 1 extra DP, why not have 6? I'd love for ATL to sign several players over $1.5mm and see what the league does. Will they kick them out? Fine them? How could they if they didn't to LAG? It's a huge lawsuit waiting to happen if just one pissed off billionaire owner decides to make a point.

The rule apparently is that the league gets to put one of the guys on the “buyout” list.

I wonder if the league does that with a wink wink go the galaxy and then they buyout Gio.

The rule apparently is that the league gets to put one of the guys on the “buyout” list.

I wonder if the league does that with a wink wink go the galaxy and then they buyout Gio.

Please explain this further. Are you saying the current rule is if a team is carrying 4 DPs at the roster deadline, they league takes one of the players off their roster and puts them on the list to be bought out?

If so, do they then force that team to pay the buyout fee? (in this case $6mm)
Is the player then considered a FA?
Isn't the rule with a bought out player that they cannot return back to the club that used the once a season buyout on them?

Please explain this further. Are you saying the current rule is if a team is carrying 4 DPs at the roster deadline, they league takes one of the players off their roster and puts them on the list to be bought out?

YES.

If so, do they then force that team to pay the buyout fee? (in this case $6mm)

YES.

Is the player then considered a FA?

YES. INTERNATIONAL FA.

Isn't the rule with a bought out player that they cannot return back to the club that used the once a season buyout on them?

Reactions: hatt91
If the team doesn't sign a striker before the closing of the winter window, how should we feel about the fact they didn't hold on to Berget, warts and all, at least until they had a better striker lined up?

If the team doesn't sign a striker before the closing of the winter window, how should we feel about the fact they didn't hold on to Berget, warts and all, at least until they had a better striker lined up?
This is par for the course. To close this one without a true striker, after announcing they wanted one, is a failure.

We should have a shit ton of cap flexibility and AM left right now, right?

ti
We should have a shit ton of cap flexibility and AM left right now, right?

Based on all our estimates, yes. We should go hard in the Summer window. And don't forget all the international spots we have too, so we're not limited in who we can sign either.