2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
And on cue, the demagogue Voice of Reason, who always demands evidence from others to back their statements, unleashes a scenario untethered to reality for never in the past has the Forums ever turned on any of the Academy Kids, yet the VoR posits it as an upcoming reality.

The only way I'll "turn" on academy kids is if they have unwarranted bad attitude or w.e.
But yes minutes going to the kids is preferable to Errmagat type players and cheaper also.
Signing a long haired young midfielder is all the rage nowadays (i.e. Guendouzi).
I hear Fabregas is going to Monaco so that's an X on that.

Kristian Dyer in the Athletic says don't be shocked if Herrera comes back. Expect Villa's replacement to come in the summer.
"A late arrival, a new All-Star, and other bold predictions for NYCFC in 2019"
https://theathletic.com/750592/2019/01/04/nycfc-predictions-2019-mls/

Also, probably 1 or 2 more Tinnerholm/ Isi type signings, and Sands and Lewis should play more.

All presented as predictions. It's unclear how much of this is pure speculation and how much is stuff he knows but can't say.
All of this would be great if it unfolds this way.

But I am struggling a little bit to see how Sands and Lewis play a lot more of we have 1-2 more Tinny/Isi type signings and bring in a DP in the summer.

Now, perhaps he just said will play more, because it’s nearly impossible for either of them to play less, and he literally just means they will play more than last year.

Reactions: mgarbowski and adam
From the various writeups, it appears the player seems to think he’s going to MCFC, but conventional wisdom suggests it’s likely NYCFC.... wonder where the disconnect is and whether the player/agent still is holding on to hope while not wanting to come to reality with his assignment being the feeder team?
Might also be an MC purchase with loan to us, the press is just confused, and the parties involved are happy to keep it that way, until it's a done deal. If it falls through, nobody is annoyed he talked about a move to the PL which they might do if it were MLS.
Or it could just be blather.

Might also be an MC purchase with loan to us, the press is just confused, and the parties involved are happy to keep it that way, until it's a done deal. If it falls through, nobody is annoyed he talked about a move to the PL which they might do if it were MLS.
Or it could just be blather.
Wherever the destination, there’s a level of confusion being conveyed that’s higher than it should be..... an issue stemming from CFG handling negotiations of players rather than the specific club. There’d be no confusion if the player had to visit Girona or NYC or Manchester or Melbourne to ink the deal.

Reactions: Kjbert
While I really want to like a youth movement, this sounds like handing someone the starting spot because we don't want to spend money.

It also implies that any signings this winter will have a ceiling of James Sands.
Idk, you have to play the youths sometime. Otherwise what’s the point? And Sands is as ready as anyone.

On the “ceiling” idea, I don’t think that’s true at all. Slotting Sands in the midfield doesn’t really bear on us going and buying an amazing striker (or, lord willing, left back), except to make it, if anything, *more* likely as we’ll have more budget.

Idk, you have to play the youths sometime. Otherwise what’s the point? And Sands is as ready as anyone.

On the “ceiling” idea, I don’t think that’s true at all. Slotting Sands in the midfield doesn’t really bear on us going and buying an amazing striker (or, lord willing, left back), except to make it, if anything, *more* likely as we’ll have more budget.

Agreed. If we’re ever to succeed in this league. We’re going to have to start leaning on 1-3 HGs (domestics) each season to spend more elsewhere.

I see nothing wrong with going into the year with Sands as your starting 6. You need to play him or you need to let him go. There will be better players available in the summer. Give yourself some cap flexibility for the summer but let him play.

We play like 7+ midfielders a year due to injuries and rotations. Sands would get playing time even if we brought in a TAM vet CM or CDM.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think we'd all be a lot more comfortable coming in 5th while playing our homegrowns v coming in 5th while playing guys like Amagat.

[18 hours later]
While I really want to like a youth movement, this sounds like handing someone the starting spot because we don't want to spend money.